test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Got a **** question about money

vorphevorphe Member Posts: 46
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
the word rhymed with tube and began with 'no', not sure why it was edited?

I'm sure I'll get flamed, if someone gives me correct info I'd greatly appreciate it!

Let me see if I understand this correctly:

F2P game but like many others you pay for things you want, frills and shineys. However unlike many others, gold is incredibly hard to earn in this game (for example I played all day Sunday and ended up with 5 gold pieces (or whatever it's called) after buying potions through the day.

I have 100 nightmare lock boxes (not joking) but they can only be opened with keys paid for by ZEN, which is bought by my real life money. Unless I want to trade AD for ZEN, at 400 AD per 1 piece of ZEN, which means I'll never get enough to open one of these boxes unless I pay in real life money. Of course to sell a box on the ah means getting like, 100 AD for it at today's rates.

Bottom line:
for lock boxes = real money spent for ZEN
AD conversion rate at excessively high rates, impossible for a casual type to earn. (this somehow prevents gold sellers??)
Work all day for a few gold pieces to blow it all on potions, profession mats such as rock salt.

Do I have it?
This is not meant as a sarcasm post, I'm genuinely curious. By outlining what I did by playing all day and writing down what I earned I was trying to illustrate my observations.

I guess I can live with it, i'd gladly pay a monthly sub fee if somehow that economy thing is worked out, holy cow what do I do with all these lock boxes? give them away? i don't think so.

Thanks in advance
Post edited by vorphe on

Comments

• pr0motepr0mote Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
    edited June 2013
    dude, you will earn alot of AD's after lvl 60 -.-
  • vorphevorphe Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2013
    Oh I see, i'm level 39 right now, that's good to know, thanks!
  • wskydkwskydk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    AD conversion rates aren't that high. Last night I bought 1k@315 each. Expensive yes, but doable. YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING IN THE GAME FOR FREE. It takes a while yes, but that's the nature of F2P games.
    Advice for y ou currently. Sell 80 or 90 of your boxes. and use that AD for Zen (or you can trade a bunch for some keys)

Above all remember: It's a F2P game, if you're not willing to drop a few bucks here and there, expect a large time investment

GL:HF
  • clintztogeneclintztogene Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the zen market dropped to 300 ad per zen today.

Once you can farm lvl 60 epic dungeons zen is easy to get.
    Like today we farmed Cn and got 3 Rouge main hands, 1 off hand, 2 cleric main ands and 1 cw.

Easily worth over 10m AD
  • kwequakwequa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The boxes are lottery tickets basically.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chudovishyechudovishye Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    vorphe wrote: »
    I have 100 nightmare lock boxes (not joking) but they can only be opened with keys paid for by ZEN, which is bought by my real life money. Unless I want to trade AD for ZEN, at 400 AD per 1 piece of ZEN, which means I'll never get enough to open one of these boxes unless I pay in real life money. Of course to sell a box on the ah means getting like, 100 AD for it at today's rates.

You can earn Zen for free, duh. I did a bunch of surveys, earned a credit card (which increased my credit as a bonus and cost nothing), and some other things, totaling well over 10K Zen. You can buy if you want, but if you work a little and stay honest with your surveys, you can earn for free. It just takes patience and work, and it DOES work, I've done it. Got a mount and did some great trades with Zen items. You can also exchange AD for Zen, at a pretty inflated rate, but it should be inflated. This means, do some farming, sell in the AH, get Zen. Simple as that. We work for a living around here.
  • dsicariidsicarii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Main difference everyone seems to forget between F2P and P2W is P2W the only currency is cash, in F2P it's time, with potentially cash to shorten the time investment. So, yes, NW is F2P.

Gold is hard to come by, but it's used for far less than AD (potions being one of the main things it's used for, and minor profession mats). If you're doing professions and looking for AD, you can also make some shirts/pants (only available through profs and not everyone does them ;) ) and sell them on the AH as well as some of your lockboxes. 100 for a box is actually not bad, I see them often going for 20-50AD, but since they can be bought from a vendor for 200AD there's kind of a hard cap on how high their prices can go in the AH.
    edited June 2013
    Thanks everyone! Yeah I don't mind spend real life money for some things, I really don't. I just wanted to make sure I understood how it was set up. Seems like the key is to get to 60 and raid or do dailies, etc which is fine, I really like the game so far :)
  • naeron1966naeron1966 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 58
    edited June 2013
    pr0mote wrote: »
    dude, you will earn alot of AD's after lvl 60 -.-

This.

My GF hit level 60 and I realised that I had accumulated about 80k AD (and 200 zen via the exchange), more than enough to get the Indomitable Warrior set and a decent weapon and shield from the AH.

I run a Cleric companion so I don't spend much on potions and I have about 50 gold atm.
    edited June 2013
    dsicarii wrote: »
    Main difference everyone seems to forget between F2P and P2W is P2W the only currency is cash, in F2P it's time, with potentially cash to shorten the time investment. So, yes, NW is F2P.

Gold is hard to come by, but it's used for far less than AD (potions being one of the main things it's used for, and minor profession mats). If you're doing professions and looking for AD, you can also make some shirts/pants (only available through profs and not everyone does them ;) ) and sell them on the AH as well as some of your lockboxes. 100 for a box is actually not bad, I see them often going for 20-50AD, but since they can be bought from a vendor for 200AD there's kind of a hard cap on how high their prices can go in the AH.

Well said, like in SWTOR for example, even though for a few months I was a f2p'er I still made gobs of credits with professions ans the ah and questing, not so much in this one. Good distinction
    edited June 2013
    naeron1966 wrote: »
    This.

My GF hit level 60 and I realised that I had accumulated about 80k AD (and 200 zen via the exchange), more than enough to get the Indomitable Warrior set and a decent weapon and shield from the AH.

I run a Cleric companion so I don't spend much on potions and I have about 50 gold atm.

my rogue uses the dog, I was under the impression that the cleric doesn't help much, maybe at higher levels though huh
  • nexus7000nexus7000 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    At the moment the amount of AD to buy one Zen is dropping by about 10 AD per day on Dragon. I know because with some clever and time consuming trading I earnt enough Zen to buy a bag but now prices are consistently dropping. Could be to do with the 15%zen offer Cryptic has going on with the game card supplier I really don't know but Zen is devaluing every day at the moment and the days of 400 AD are gone. All comes to those that wait I think is the saying, I'm just saying hang in there :)
  • andomiindandomiind Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have 2 60s, have not spent a dime yet,
    you can earn basic AD needs doing professions.
    And I did not spend AD until I turned 60 anyway, to get higher GS.
    You always have enough gold to get by, then you have to much of it.
    AD exchange fluctuate, I believe its down to 300 per 1 Zen.
    A couple of days on profession and you earned a key.
    I will on the other hand buy better mount and some great companions,
    not because I have to, I like to support a great product.
    Most have no clue how much it actually costs to keep this running,
    personnel, equipment and fees etc (tip of the ice berg)
    or for that matter what involves creating a game in the first place.
    But this is something that comes with age,
    cant be thought I guess..
    edited June 2013
    andomiind wrote: »
    I have 2 60s, have not spent a dime yet,
    you can earn basic AD needs doing professions.
    And I did not spend AD until I turned 60 anyway, to get higher GS.
    You always have enough gold to get by, then you have to much of it.
    AD exchange fluctuate, I believe its down to 300 per 1 Zen.
    A couple of days on profession and you earned a key.
    I will on the other hand buy better mount and some great companions,
    not because I have to, I like to support a great product.
    Most have no clue how much it actually costs to keep this running,
    personnel, equipment and fees etc (tip of the ice berg)
    or for that matter what involves creating a game in the first place.
    But this is something that comes with age,
    cant be thought I guess..

Well, dude, i'm 43 and I fully understand what makes a small company run (I own one that uses technology to create memories, cryptic isn't that small, I get it - when you say "most don't know" I mean, how do you come to "most") and I am fine with buying things. I was kinda taken aback by the lack of earnings, as I have been able to earn cash easily in other games. And yes I realize games are different.
    anyway, keeping it friendly, and thanks for the input
    edited June 2013
    nexus7000 wrote: »
    At the moment the amount of AD to buy one Zen is dropping by about 10 AD per day on Dragon. I know because with some clever and time consuming trading I earnt enough Zen to buy a bag but now prices are consistently dropping. Could be to do with the 15%zen offer Cryptic has going on with the game card supplier I really don't know but Zen is devaluing every day at the moment and the days of 400 AD are gone. All comes to those that wait I think is the saying, I'm just saying hang in there :)
    Thanks man
  • zerokunoichi7zerokunoichi7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    All you need to do is hit level 60 and then the game starts.
    It takes only 1~2 days to get to 60 if you dedicate your "time" to it.
    The economy in this game is so~so at the moment but it isn't nowhere near of the verge of a broken game.

You don't need to use the Auction house until level 60 either.
  • andomiindandomiind Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well, dude, i'm 43 and I fully understand what makes a small company run (I own one that uses technology to create memories, cryptic isn't that small, I get it - when you say "most don't know" I mean, how do you come to "most") and I am fine with buying things. I was kinda taken aback by the lack of earnings, as I have been able to earn cash easily in other games. And yes I realize games are different.
    anyway, keeping it friendly, and thanks for the input

Was lead level designer commercially way back, so...
    and I'm 44 ye old, could count me in as most :) It's more common sens.
    I'm more into take pride in the effort to achieve things,
    much like vanilla wow when it meant something you had a full set, and it was noticeable.
    Or that you spent days farming to get that special rare mount.
    These options or thinking is not present, perhaps many comes in with pre-conceptions
    I look more forward when the market actually takes the time to make everyone feel special
    and can project and express there individuality more.
    Well, dont let my dev mode on, I could write for ever :)
    The certainly need more inspiring goals
  • jihancritiasjihancritias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I delete the nightmare boxes now. Or, just avoid picking them up. Usually it's a coffer of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that I already have tons. Other times, it's a gloomwrought crate, which is worthless. Once, I got a Hero. That's it. The best thing. Tarmalune bars are alright, but you can't trade them to alts. Since the zen that I bought keys with goes across alts, I think the bars should as well.
    TL : DR? Then don't waste my time responding.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    my rogue uses the dog, I was under the impression that the cleric doesn't help much, maybe at higher levels though huh

The Cleric is actually one of the better free companions. Her heals are a percentage of your health so she is pretty much always useful even in later levels where her level cap starts turn her into a death magnet. Just learn to pick her up and dust her off after every fight. :D

Its the zen store Cleric of Kelemvor that is lackluster. Its more of a buffer then a healer. And folks seem to have the two confused.
  • kindyrekindyre Member Posts: 101
    edited June 2013
    Well said, like in SWTOR for example, even though for a few months I was a f2p'er I still made gobs of credits with professions ans the ah and questing, not so much in this one. Good distinction

I haven't spent anything on this game yet, but I made around 400k to 500k AD before I even hit 60 by playing the AH and gambling with the various lockboxes (not just the nightmare ones). Not that I ever had all of that in AD form all at once... I'm perpetually trading; using my capital to make more capital. It's always moving. I've probably opened more than 80 nightmare lockboxes at this point.

Anyway, point being that this game doesn't require paying to be successful. All you need is an industrious spirit and the willingness to take a risk.

Edit: Oh, and buy the basic Cleric companion for 2 gold if you picked something else. It's worth it in the long run, especially if you're still leveling. You'll save much more than that from not having to buy potions.