test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[SUGGESTION] Companions should NOT be in dungeons/Customization

draconerus1draconerus1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
I imagine I will get a lot of hate for this, but I honestly feel that it breaks the immersion and functionality of dungeons with everyone having pets. I can understand being able to summon one if the group is not full or out in the world while questing, but in dungeons they just make things more complicated. People use tank pets which rip aggro off the true tank and healing is more difficult when you have a cluster of pets added in with the already ridiculous cluster of add spawns.

Another thing that bothers me about them is how will it be balanced for pet classes like a ranger, druid, or necromancer? Everyone having pets in the instance will take away from one of the perks of the class and add even MORE adds/companions for us to deal with.

Please make companions ONLY available inside dungeons for pet classes or if a group member is missing.

As far as customization goes, I would LOVE for the ability to use a character creator on my companion as well for humans to make them more unique. That is all.
Post edited by draconerus1 on

Comments

• ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited June 2013
    I'm also not big on companions in delves. They're nice for soloing but in a delve they're either A.) in the way or B.) an ioun stone or cat.

So I guess, how are they going to sell more ioun stones unless people want them for delves.
  • honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There are no 'pet' classes. This isn't WoW.

Druids will be able to shapeshift into an animal most likely and their skills will change when they do so.

There is one class feature Rangers can choose in an off-shoot book that gives them a pet.

There are no Necromancers.

The only real pet class is the Shaman and I doubt they will implement them any time soon for that very reason.
  • draconerus1draconerus1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    IMO they should take a que from other MMO's and allow them for pet classes only and go the Star Wars route with them for questing or missing group members. Super easy fix and would balance things out if they did this in addition to some tweaking for bosses/game mechanics within dungeons.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I kinda look at companions as hirelings that can fight. I imagine that the cleric patches people up between fights and the man at arms makes some wicked huevos rancheros when not in-combat.

Heck, there's even the mission in the chasm where you meet a hireling that was watching the camp when his party went out and got themselves killed...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And how do you deal with the non-combat pets like cats or Ioun stones? They very point of those pets are stat boosters, they were pretty much made for end game dungeons.

It is not as simple as saying no pets allowed in groups.
  • draconerus1draconerus1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There are PLENTY of necromancers in this game, and they will be added as a class eventually, probably sooner rather then later. People need to STOP using the "This isn't WoW!" quote. Nothing wrong with using the most successful MMORPG as an point of inspiration.

Non combat pets are different. They would not be able to be targeted or killed and be acceptable.
  • dorkchopsdorkchops Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 64
    edited June 2013
    the pets are insanely weak unless they are the purple ones so they are no substitute for a real player. They are meant to aid us in battle which is what they do. If you dont like someone bringing their tank pet kindly ask them to dismiss it.
  • killz2manykillz2many Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    You think that companions are better than they are. Honestly end game companions should be cat or pheroa just for some extra damage.
    Killz2Many ~ Greatest Weapon Fighter ~ Dragon Shard
    game-of-thrones-dani-burn-deal-with-it.gif
    edited June 2013
    They would simply dismiss it and summon a DPS pet that runs around blocking heals and in the future would make any "pet" class OP or imbalanced and diminish their uniqueness.
  • atompenguinatompenguin Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    There are no 'pet' classes. This isn't WoW.

Druids will be able to shapeshift into an animal most likely and their skills will change when they do so.

There is one class feature Rangers can choose in an off-shoot book that gives them a pet.

There are no Necromancers.

The only real pet class is the Shaman and I doubt they will implement them any time soon for that very reason.

Necromancers are an option in one of the books as well. So... yeah, there are pet classes and necromancers.

And the reason that shamans won't be implemented any time soon is probably not because of pets and not because this 'isn't WoW.' It's more likely because they're in a later book and not super popular as far as I know.

And on topic... yes. I think companions should be taken out in dungeons. They really just get in the way.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • greygusgreygus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have to agree, but pets are just meat shields unless the ones being used are the stat buffers. Anyhoo, the other topic as to the necromancer class, that class shouldn't be in this game what so ever, they are an anti hero because yes they can save a city or what ever norm heros do but when it comes right down to it they are evil in nature and the necro is hated and feared by all. 90% of the mobs we kill are undead and their masters which are norm necros. Init would seem to me that the clerics, mages, and or regular law would seek the necros and kill them. If peeps wish to play a necro stick to the pe
  • greygusgreygus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Pen and paper game. Plus it seems like every mmo has a necro in it now a days. sry I am replying on my pbone and can't really see what I am typing lol. Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents with the necro idea. Pets again are just meatshields they should stay outside the dungeons unless its an ion stone.
  • gaiastridergaiastrider Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Necromancers are an option in one of the books as well. So... yeah, there are pet classes and necromancers.

And the reason that shamans won't be implemented any time soon is probably not because of pets and not because this 'isn't WoW.' It's more likely because they're in a later book and not super popular as far as I know.

And on topic... yes. I think companions should be taken out in dungeons. They really just get in the way.

They should be taken out full stop. They're a horrible idea with only one function, to make idiots and children part with their parents cash. That's why all free companions become useless. They should not be in the game. At all. In any way, shape or form.
    edited June 2013
    I wouldn't go that extreme, for soloing and missing group members they help. Still would like them in those situations.
  • dreanjadreanja Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    draconerus1 i can understand what your fist post was about, and in specific constellations i would agree with you.
    i am a GF and i use the tankpet, because (as you already pointed out) they will get the aggro. but: they are only good against a single mob and will fail as soon as there are some more enemys. please keep in mind that till this day a GF can't really get the aggro from all the mobs around him, or if, he might screw things up for melees (cleave etc.)

so here is my tanking style, and maybe you get the my point i try to make why the tankpet is not always that bad:
    the pet will tank a boss or a big fellow pretty good. he will not die instantly and he gets and keeps the aggro very good.
    i myself run around to tank all the adds that will arrive at every fight against bosses.

so if the pet would not tank the boss i would have to do so. when the adds would arrive i think i would not be able to catch them and they would eat my healer. (i really don't want him to be eaten).

and here is one constellation in that i would agree totally to your post: if a non-tanking class has that pet out. they can't direct their pet very well, maybe because they are later than me in a group of enemys but i really don't know the reason.

so personally i think that as long as they don't fix the threat problematic or they decide that it is O.K. the way it is, i would miss my pet. many posts here say "tank pets are fu**ing s**t later on and only the money-pets are good" and i cant say anything about that because i only played T1 till now and i always have a healing-specced cleric with me who knows that my pet is tanking the boss. so maybe i will change my mind later on, i will see about that.
  • agahnimzagahnimz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You should NOT have to buy a cat just to min/max yourself for PVE. Get those companions out of my dungeons!
  • jayws84jayws84 Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2013
    As a GF, I absolutely despise when people have the tank companions up in dungeons. And it usually doesn't matter if I tell people to turn them off. Most of the time they just don't care. It's actually the main reason I'm beginning to get bored with playing a tank. I like how challenging it is, but those companions absolutely ruin my role in a dungeon.
  • zolimoszolimos Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jayws84 wrote: »
    As a GF, I absolutely despise when people have the tank companions up in dungeons. And it usually doesn't matter if I tell people to turn them off. Most of the time they just don't care. It's actually the main reason I'm beginning to get bored with playing a tank. I like how challenging it is, but those companions absolutely ruin my role in a dungeon.

I agree totally with your position on playing a GF and others pull out the Man-at-Arms. It's a huge PITA.

But, to the OP and others I would say that this is not a game mechanic issue. Not everyone plays the same way. I, for example run dungeons with 1 or 2 of my RL companions. We use wolves, clerics, birds, stones, cats, etc in many and varied situations. I don't want the "game engine" to make my group make-up decisions for me. This is a very key part of the enjoyment of the game.

Once again, I totally understand that there are times that companions might harsh your game play experience, but I believe it's up to us, the players, to work these things out. I think we need to focus on fixing ourselves in this situation and leave Cryptic out of it. They have real issues to deal with. I have no problem dismissing my companion if I am in a PUG and the leader requests it. I just don't want to play in a dictatorship.
  • thorizdenthorizden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    /em shrug

Get a cat or a stone...I won't group with people in Tier 2s still running the tier 1 (max rank 15) companions.
    edited June 2013
    Eventually I can see it going that way, however currently it is not the case.
  • satorusenpaisatorusenpai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I understand the tank issue but I honestly don't see how companions make healing harder? I do play Cleric and well only my own companion is ever able to be targeted by heals, otherwise it's only players. As for future balance issues, I don't see why it would be an issue considering companions aren't on level with players, die easily and then a couple are just stat boosters. if they don't work in dungeons then there is really no reason for them to exist in the first place once you're cap.
  • c45hcr0pc45hcr0p Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 45
    edited June 2013
    IMO they should take a que from other MMO's and allow them for pet classes only and go the Star Wars route with them for questing or missing group members. Super easy fix and would balance things out if they did this in addition to some tweaking for bosses/game mechanics within dungeons.

Pets from SWTOR are so much stronger than the pets in NW. They have better AI, and can be kitted out in full sets of end-game gear.

Pets in 5-man content in SWTOR would be OP. Pets in 5-man content in NW, not so much.
    cylisbrex wrote: »
    ...I love the rectal based combat...

Reticle not rectal. :)