test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What will the rangers role be?

archsteel1archsteel1 Member Posts: 42
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
I was looking at all the roles for the different classes. Trickster rogue is DPS, Control wizard is obviously agro control, Guardian fighter is a tank and Devoted Cleric is a Healer. But what role will the ranger play? Ranged DPS? Or something else? Will there even be a ranger? Will the ranger not need nature kits? I'd really like to know.
Post edited by archsteel1 on

Comments

• Options
    lazywilllazywill Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm hoping ranged DPS with some other perk alongside it - pure DPS by itself is boring!
  • Options
    aurwangraurwangr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I already ... know ... they will have a Sleeping Arrow. Wonder where I got this from ...

Their role will certainly be primarly dealing damage. Like a Rogue, just from further away. Maybe a little less (?) or hopefully a little bit more glasscannony like the Wizard. I'm saying this because I am a sucker for DD-classes that can faceroll you in no-time, but are hard to play because of their virtually non-existing armor.

I HOPE They get a Snipe mechanic - which works like a CHARGE and deals a TON of damage when released. You have to be stationary to fire it and with a perk you can move around, slowed.

I HOPE aswell that this class works like a ranged-DD class but is able to MOVE while firing. Even when this moving is recuded. Turrent-style like CW or Priest isnt really my thing.

Lets see
  • Options
    aurwangraurwangr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Doublepost
  • Options
    showatt0016showatt0016 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ranger's role? In PVP?

Owning everyone, of course.

Do you know how many ledges we have in our current arenas?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    aurwangr wrote: »
    Their role will certainly be primarly dealing damage. Like a Rogue, just from further away. Maybe a little less (?) or hopefully a little bit more glasscannony like the Wizard. I'm saying this because I am a sucker for DD-classes that can faceroll you in no-time, but are hard to play because of their virtually non-existing armor.

I HOPE They get a Snipe mechanic - which works like a CHARGE and deals a TON of damage when released. You have to be stationary to fire it and with a perk you can move around, slowed.

I think that a snipe shot would be incredibly awesome but I'm a little concerned about having a induction. I don't think that they will go with that and will probably just make a long drawn out animation instead. But there could be problems with that if exploiters find a way to not do the animation. I'm hoping that the chance of that happening doesn't scare the programmers away from making a snipe shot altogether.

In my opinion having it be a glass cannon would be incredibly awesome, but I don't think they would do that cause they aren't catering to the elite players who can actually pull that off. I think they'll just make you have lengthy animations and give you the same damage as a trickster rogue and the same armor.
  • Options
    salythsistrasalythsistra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I enjoyed the ledges a bit with my CW but it doesn't take long for a TR to warp to you or a CW to push you off. Its not worth the time to go all that way --- except for the lava map where you can just drop down from the center bridge on one of the 4 pillars - but then so can anyone else too.

The castle map is a huge pain to get to the center ledge. Hmm though picking off a side node on that map would be really easy and its hard to get pushed off on those.
  • Options
    neverillusionsneverillusions Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The new class might also be a warlock... But I really hope it's a ranger, there is enough magic classes for now.
    neverwinter%20logo.png
    Characters:
    None created yet.
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    The new class might also be a warlock... But I really hope it's a ranger, there is enough magic classes for now.

It's not a warlock unless they have decided to hold ranger back.
  • Options
    morvek01morvek01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    IF they imp a ranger it will most likely be very similar to rogue. Rogue is melee with a tiny bit of range and ranger would most likely be range with a tiny bit of melee. Guessing warlock will be similar to CW except near zero CC ability in exchange for dots and more aoe.
    If you can't be constructive in your criticism, go back to world-of-whiners.
  • Options
    phoenixsolacephoenixsolace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Ranger will be a striker need some bow and arrows up in this joint :)
  • Options
    ivaneyesivaneyes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The question should not be what will the rangers role be? It should be why the hell are you adding a DPS class to the game when having a single healer class choice is killing the game. The lack of healers is probably one of the biggest problems in the game. It effects long Q's for T-1/T-2 Runs. It has made 90% of the game choose a DPS role (see the 4 million rogues in game if your not sure). If they don't add a 2nd or 3rd healing option that's fun it will be the downfall of this game.
  • Options
    morvek01morvek01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    ivaneyes wrote: »
    The question should not be what will the rangers role be? It should be why the hell are you adding a DPS class to the game when having a single healer class choice is killing the game. The lack of healers is probably one of the biggest problems in the game. It effects long Q's for T-1/T-2 Runs. It has made 90% of the game choose a DPS role (see the 4 million rogues in game if your not sure). If they don't add a 2nd or 3rd healing option that's fun it will be the downfall of this game.

that would probably be druid
    If you can't be constructive in your criticism, go back to world-of-whiners.
  • Options
    dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    To the OP: Well it is assumption that the Ranger is the class coming, as all that was confirmed was that the class would be "ranged". That said, if it is indeed the Ranger, the role would be striker, and since they said "ranged" in all likelihood an Archer Ranger.

To the post above mine;
    Druids in 4E aren't heals. They are controllers. For heals, add leader role classes; Shaman, Warlord, Bard, etc.
  • Options
    mikaleus#7208 mikaleus Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Shaman would be great to see!
  • Options
    selonwselonw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 258
    edited June 2013
    rangers role is to take up the mantle from the TRs and be the next class all the CWs and GWFs will whine about
  • Options
    mhblis1mhblis1 Member Posts: 167 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    If they stick to copying the table top it will probably be DPS primary with a little CC thrown in.

Though; and I mention this just to troll; they could always implement the duel wield Ranger build.
  • Options
    itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Rangers roll wil be

Ranger in = Trickster rogue out

And tr's can go sit in the tavern with GWF/GF for a cup of tea :o
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • Options
    modimormodimor Member Posts: 198 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Migh be a trap ranger with some at will bow attacks :P
  • Options
    karangelickarangelic Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

I wish they would add a melee cleric or paladin.

Give me that and warlocks and I will be very happy.
  • Options
    utaniautania Member Posts: 99
    edited June 2013
    It will be dual wielding rangers to complete the play drizzt founder pack.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

No the question should be "Why the hell would you ever NEED more than one healing class?"! Adding fifteen thousand different kinds of healers is just annoying.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    utania wrote: »
    It will be dual wielding rangers to complete the play drizzt founder pack.

God I hope not, the last thing we need is another duel wielder!