test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Allied Opportunity, how useful is it?

murdurus211murdurus211 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
I'm thinking about respec'ing into Instigator from Destroyer and I saw Allied Opportunity and was wondering how useful is it? From what I can tell, Combat Advantage grants about 25% more damage, give or take. My understanding is that most of the time, people should have Combat Advantage against a target, or at least bosses, so what's the point of giving Combat Advantage to the rest of the group if they supposedly have it already? I'm pretty sure it doesn't stack, if it does, please correct me. Furthermore, it's only 3 seconds which isn't very long so I feel like the Combat Advantage part of this feat is pretty redundant.

Secondly, Allied Opportunity also increases Not So Fast and Mighty Leap's damage by 10% which is okay but hardly worth writing home about given their already somewhat mediocre damage for an Encounter. So here's another question I have about this feat; for most, if not all, guides I have seen, they say to use Not So Fast for AoE damage and to grant Combat Advantage to the group but why only Not So Fast and not Mighty Leap as well if granting Combat Advantage was the priority? And if Combat Advantage wasn't the priority for using Not So Fast, aren't there much better alternatives for damage?

With all that aside, there aren't many other options in the tree that could increase our damage except maybe for Stunning Flourish which I feel is so-so since I dislike using Flourish in many PvE situations with having to move all the time and whatnot. Anyways, I was trying to see the reason behind picking up Allied Opportunity and the reason for using Not So Fast and not Mighty Leap in so many Instigator builds.
Post edited by murdurus211 on

Comments

• Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    mighty leap is mobility and that is useful, with medium damage. sometimes, you need to be somewhere else!
    The short duration of the CA perk makes it kind of weak. Basically everyone gets a CA boosted hit, and in a group of 5, ONE person MAY get a big encounter hit while it is up on an affected mob... but in general most other players will either hit something not affected or won't hit an encounter during the brief period. More useful on a boss, but GWF is often not on the boss, but killing and kiting the adds.... the group effect seems weak. However, the CA bonus is of direct benefit to YOU --- you know when it is active and can use it to great advantage for your own dps.

If trying to reach the capstone ability in this tree, this feat seems OK and worth taking to get the self-benefit of CA sometimes.
  • Options
    nwobrocknwobrock Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Student of the sword + CA + Vengeance stacks + Destroyer stacks + Weapon Master Stacks + Indomitable Battle Strike into a group of mobs

Yes please.