test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ArP in a PVE Group Situation

ataranesataranes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
edited June 2013 in The Militia Barracks
I like Armor Pen. I tend to slot it above power and recovery and equal to crit, but I got into a discussion today with a guild mate and I started wondering whether there is any marginal utility in a point of armor pen over a point of power or crit in a 5-man team.

With so many abilities and the prevalence of enchants which strip defenses away along with other classes stacking armor pen, I am wondering how much Def any NPCs actually have before my Armor Pen is even factored in. Is it possible that my Armor Pen is actually not doing anything, that the NPCs are already fully debuffed?

Would personal stats like Crit and Power not then be better?
Steelkat/Unfrozen Caveman - DCs
Guild Leader of MOPP4
MOPP 4′s community was created to cater to those who have served or currently serve in the armed forces around the world as well as friends, family & supporters of the armed forces. We also now proudly support the Wounded Warrior Project. For more details please go here.
Post edited by ataranes on

Comments

• supersaiyansonsupersaiyanson Member Posts: 41
    edited June 2013
    You're doing it wrong if you're putting power ahead of anything else.
  • kwazikwazi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    According to testing, ArP comes first and then the defense reduction happens. I have max ArP and I hit noticeably harder on mobs before I had ArP.
  • ataranesataranes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited June 2013
    kwazi wrote: »
    According to testing, ArP comes first and then the defense reduction happens. I have max ArP and I hit noticeably harder on mobs before I had ArP.

That's not what I am asking. What I am asking/saying is, with a full group of like minded people, is there any defense left for ArP to penetrate or does it not care what the defense of the target is? isn't Armor Pen different from Crit, Power and Recovery in the sense that those last 3 always boost your performance (to different degrees) while Armor Pen may be overkill if you have other party members who are sltoting major defense debuffs of their own?
    Guild Leader of MOPP4
    MOPP 4′s community was created to cater to those who have served or currently serve in the armed forces around the world as well as friends, family & supporters of the armed forces. We also now proudly support the Wounded Warrior Project. For more details please go here.
  • frznvimesfrznvimes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The full discussion is here, but in short any ApR stacked beyond your target's mitigation % is wasted. However, ApR is calculated separately from defense debuffs and they can stack beyond your opponent's mitigation %. For example: If you have 20% ApR and your opponent has 20% mitigation, then adding in a -50% defense debuff would increase the damage you deal against them 10% but adding 50% more ApR instead would not add any damage.

In other words, it's very much worth it take ApR equal to your opponent's mitigation % regardless of any debuffs your group is applying, but beyond that it's wasted.

edit: it's hard to believe this is working as intended, so keep in mind that it may change in the future.
  • ataranesataranes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 61
    edited June 2013
    You're doing it wrong if you're putting power ahead of anything else.

Power scaling is probably not supposed to be the way it is. I just used power above as an example of an alternative to ArP.
    Guild Leader of MOPP4
    edited June 2013
    frznvimes wrote: »
    The full discussion is here, but in short any ApR stacked beyond your target's mitigation % is wasted. However, ApR is calculated separately from defense debuffs and they can stack beyond your opponent's mitigation %. For example: If you have 20% ApR and your opponent has 20% mitigation, then adding in a -50% defense debuff would increase the damage you deal against them 10% but adding 50% more ApR instead would not add any damage.

In other words, it's very much worth it take ApR equal to your opponent's mitigation %, and beyond that it's wasted.

It's hard to believe this is working as intended though, so it could change in the future.

Frznvimes. Thanks. I had seen that thread nut had not read the updated explanation.
    Guild Leader of MOPP4
    edited June 2013
    Got the explanation I needed. Thanks!
    Guild Leader of MOPP4