test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

"Disappear when dialogue prompt reached" bug.

wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Apparently you cannot select more than one dialogue prompt under disappear when or else whatever object/npc you are editing will not disappear when any of those dialogue prompts are reached. This is very frustrating because I wanted to make it so you can choose between two characters to be your ally, and have the other one spawn as an enemy encounter. I had it set up perfectly to where you could talk to one, choose them, and both would disappear, then an ally encounter and enemy encounter would spawn accordingly. The ally and enemy encounters spawn, but if the NPC's will not disappear I'll have to find another way to do this, and the only other way I can think of by using a single interactive object would allow the player to basically cheat by exiting out of a dialogue after reaching the prompt then going back and selecting the other choice to get both allies and enemies which would totally make no sense and ruin the whole game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by wuhsin on

Comments

• Options
    havoclhavocl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 63
    edited June 2013
    Here's my solution:

Have only one NPC do the dialog.
    Dialog 1 -> Option 1 / Option 2
    Option 1 -> Dialog 2a
    Option 2 -> Dialog 2b
    Dialog 2a -> Dialog 3 (Empty)
    Dialog 2b -> Dialog 3 (Empty)

Both NPC disappear on prompt Dialog 3. Ally/Enemy Appear on Dialog 2(a/b) + Dialog 3.
    Conflict between sworn enemies (NWS-DB3HIQPRH) by Havoc988 :
    It started with a burglary
    Then it got friendly
    But it ended badly
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    havocl wrote: »
    Here's my solution:

Have only one NPC do the dialog.
    Dialog 1 -> Option 1 / Option 2
    Option 1 -> Dialog 2a
    Option 2 -> Dialog 2b
    Dialog 2a -> Dialog 3 (Empty)
    Dialog 2b -> Dialog 3 (Empty)

Both NPC disappear on prompt Dialog 3. Ally/Enemy Appear on Dialog 2(a/b) + Dialog 3.

I'll try this out and see if it works. Might have to disable options 1 and 2 when the dialogue prompt for the opposite choice shows up in order to prevent players from hitting done, going back, and choosing the other one. Luckily I can have the third character act as the selector. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Alright I tried it and this method seems to work just fine for what I want to do. Thanks so much! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    No problem. Now pay me, play my campaign! :P
    Then it got friendly
    But it ended badly
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    havocl wrote: »
    No problem. Now pay me, play my campaign! :P

Next time I feel like playing a Foundry quest your campaign will be the first one I try since you helped me out. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    How long is your campaign btw? I wanna make sure I'll have time to finish it if I start.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    2 hours. The first quest is 14 min, the second 30-40 and the third is one hour.
    Then it got friendly
    But it ended badly
  • Options
    casten24casten24 Member Posts: 121 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Heyo.... just wanted to say, it's not a bug... The thing about the Dis/Appear stuff is that it's all 'and's and not 'or's so both options have to be completed instead of either or... This really bummed me out, too, when I first ran across this... threw a wrench in my spokes, so to speak. Took me a while to find the work around which happens to be the same as havocl's.
    The Portrait Gray Campaign
    Prologue: Fort Neverember
    NW-DL2RVQ54C
    Chapter 1: The Gray Portrait
    NW-DHGEFBMGD
  • Options
    zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    casten24 wrote: »
    Heyo.... just wanted to say, it's not a bug... The thing about the Dis/Appear stuff is that it's all 'and's and not 'or's so both options have to be completed instead of either or... This really bummed me out, too, when I first ran across this... threw a wrench in my spokes, so to speak. Took me a while to find the work around which happens to be the same as havocl's.

Actually the "component reached" triggers are OR logic. Also, in the case of "dialog prompt reached" you can fudge OR logic by using the "enable when", "disable when" triggers in the prompts themselves.

For example, in the OP's situation both NPC dialogues could have been kept, assuming they weren't quest objectives as those have fewer options. By using this structure, and then mirroring it for the second NPC:

NPC 1
    1. Initial prompt, part 1.
      • Choice 1A, disable when NPC 1, 6 transition prompt reached. Continues to 2.
      • Choice 1B, enable when NPC 1, 6 transition prompt reached. Continues to 7.
    2. Initial prompt, part 2.
      • Choice 2A, disable when NPC 2, 6 transition prompt reached. Continues to 3.
      • Choice 2B, enable when NPC 2, 6 transition and NPC 2, 5 this NPC not chosen prompts reached. Continues to 4.
      • Choice 2C, enable when NPC 2, 6 transition and NPC 2, 4 this NPC chosen prompts reached. Continues to 5.
    3. Selection prompt.
      • Choice 3A. Choose this NPC, continues to 4.
      • Choice 3B. Don't choose this NPC, continues to 5.
    4. This NPC chosen, offers to help PC.
      • Choice 4A. Continues to 6.
    5. This NPC not chosen, threatens PC.
      • Choice 5A. Continues to 6.
    6. Transition.
      • Choice 6A. End dialogue.
    7. This NPC's dialogue already completed.
      • Choice 7A, enable when NPC 1, 4 this NPC chosen prompt reached. Oh that's right, I chose you, end dialogue.
      • Choice 7B, enable when NPC 1, 5 this NPC not chosen prompt reached. Oh that's right, I didn't chose you, end dialogue.

Then have both NPCs disappear on "dialog prompt reached" (NPC 1, 6 and NPC 2, 6). Then have NPC 1 hostile version appear on "dialog prompt reached" (NPC 1, 5; NPC 1, 6; and NPC 2, 6), NPC 1 friendly version appear on "dialog prompt reached" (NPC 1, 4; NPC 1, 6; and NPC 2, 6), and similarly with NPC 2.

The benefit of doing it this way is both NPCs get to "have their say". The downside is that it requires a good amount of extra dialogue complexity and padding, as well as requiring player interaction with both NPCs even though the choice is actually made after the first dialogue.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.