test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Assassin Chronicles - Chapter 1: A Fateful Encounter

zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Foundry Quest Database
by @Zovya
Campaign Short Code: NWS-DNQQJO4CD
Short Code: NW-DJUIZCFUR
Mission Type: Role-play, Combat
Average Duration: 15 minutes
Amount of Combat: Adjustable Combat Difficulty Medium to Heavy
Starts at: Blacklake Market District

Mission Summary:
You are on a routine adventure clearing the Blacklake Market District of a Nasher Rebel uprising when you meet a random woman with a curious request.

Author tips/hints:
You can play good or evil. Your decisions affect the story.
A combat difficulty slider allows you to customize the encounters.

Screenshots:
GameClient%202013-04-28%2022-45-46-59.jpg?itok=uUYBaWoK
Hi Res

GameClient%202013-04-28%2022-57-31-10.jpg?itok=6cP9hJPE
Hi Res
Post edited by zovya on

Comments

• sshatesshate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 33
    edited May 2013
    Review UI broke for me. I wanted to say difficulty slider is a nice touch, and the choice at the very end was interesting, but the lack of meaningful choices before that was meh. Maybe the ending sequence would be better if you can talk to the target before killing and if you choose not to kill, quest giver will appear earlier and you can make an informed choice at the end. That would make this a 5-star for me.
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the review. I'm glad you liked it. The guy had to die. As far as the choices, the next chapter the player is more skilled and less trusting. So more choices to be made.
  • labmouse42labmouse42 Member Posts: 64
    edited May 2013
    I reviewed your quest.

- I really liked the way that you did the difficulty scale. Not only did you give it an 'in game' reason for working, but you also gave yourself a cameo in the game. To do that you had to make 3 separate encounters for every mob fight, one for each diffcultity level right? Well done.

- When going to Kheeva's house, why did you not just make some portcullis disappear to lower the walk time? Running through a town for the second time is 1/4 as much fun. The mob fights on the way back felt slightly out of story to me.

- Im playing an assassin. Let me get some assassin's creed action by jumping from building to building. Even if its only for a side quest, its something fun that would be very fitting to the theme.

- Did you build your own market? I liked the way the tables were set up with potions, etc. That was really well done. I would have liked some roleplay interaction with them -- like having them say 'thank you for killing that hexor in front of my cart

- Nice decor on the house. They can be a big PITA to do, as the autopopulate does not really work well.

- Some of the fights appeared to have almost a lowered aggro radius. How did you accomplish this? I was nearly on top of the guards before they noticed me.

- Its a bit odd that all the women of the house are just chatting while your going through killing every man in the house. I would expect at least a little reaction :D

- What was a dog doing in the slave dungeon for?

- When you free the slaves, why don't you make the other gates and slaves disappear too? It looks like you only freed that one slave.

Overall that was an fun adventure. I will keep you subscribed so I can play more you create.
    I've only made one. When you can, could you please review it and give me your thoughts?
    Foundry Quests
    Author : @labmouse43
    Short Code : NW-DJHHV5CGY
    Name : The Frosty Protologist
    Duration : 15 minutes
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great quest, a must play.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    labmouse42 wrote: »
    I reviewed your quest.

- I really liked the way that you did the difficulty scale. Not only did you give it an 'in game' reason for working, but you also gave yourself a cameo in the game. To do that you had to make 3 separate encounters for every mob fight, one for each diffcultity level right? Well done.

Yep, 3 times the fun! Ugh.

- When going to Kheeva's house, why did you not just make some portcullis disappear to lower the walk time? Running through a town for the second time is 1/4 as much fun. The mob fights on the way back felt slightly out of story to me.

Completely tacked on. Sorry. When I added the slider, people were breezing through too fast. I had to slow them down. I plan to work that out after I publish chapter 2.

- Im playing an assassin. Let me get some assassin's creed action by jumping from building to building. Even if its only for a side quest, its something fun that would be very fitting to the theme.

Chapter 2, yay!

- Did you build your own market? I liked the way the tables were set up with potions, etc. That was really well done. I would have liked some roleplay interaction with them -- like having them say 'thank you for killing that hexor in front of my cart

Yeah, that map had buildings, I added everything else.

- Nice decor on the house. They can be a big PITA to do, as the autopopulate does not really work well.

- Some of the fights appeared to have almost a lowered aggro radius. How did you accomplish this? I was nearly on top of the guards before they noticed me.

Same problem with having to slow down the player. Used invisible walls and markers.

- Its a bit odd that all the women of the house are just chatting while your going through killing every man in the house. I would expect at least a little reaction :D

- What was a dog doing in the slave dungeon for?

- When you free the slaves, why don't you make the other gates and slaves disappear too? It looks like you only freed that one slave.

Overall that was an fun adventure. I will keep you subscribed so I can play more you create.
    I've only made one. When you can, could you please review it and give me your thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time to post your ideas, I'll add your quest to me list of quests to try when I get this PITA published. This was my first quest ever. Took about 3-4 days to make. Chapter 2 has taken almost a whole month now, way better. I plan on bringing chapter 1 up to par when finished.
  • lordxoruslordxorus Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    i'll try to play this & review soon as possible ;)

really like your links and helpful faq , thank you!
    Wanted: Hero *Lil Chubs*

Foundry Search: Wanted: Hero Lil Chubs
  • qynn411qynn411 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Very eager to play the next chapter. This remains among my favorite Foundry quests... I hope you'll allow players to keep to a somewhat neutral mindset in the assignments with dialogs choices and the outcomes.
    Although my character tends toward good, there's enough of a shade of grey there that I felt he could shrug off the deception and feel justified that the first target got what he deserved--and he didn't feel too horrible about being the one who did the deed. If this descends into just being evil, that'd be less interesting. Just one perspective.
    edited May 2013
    Thanks guys. And qynn, I play good side too. I will stay true to good-neutral-evil choices.
  • lordxoruslordxorus Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    played & reviewed

great concept / plot etc. nice map too

but actually as a control wizard in mid 50s w/o a lot of blue gear, easy really wasn't 'that' easy.
    also, i'd consider using color in the quest answers, they were almost all in white, I got confused. :eek: lol

overall -> great!

ps: almost all content on my control wizard is a bit difficult at 55-56 w/o a bunch of blue gear, so take that into account too ;)
    Wanted: Hero *Lil Chubs*

Foundry Search: Wanted: Hero Lil Chubs
  • killz2manykillz2many Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Author tips/hints:
    You can play good or evil. Your decisions affect the story.
    A combat difficulty slider allows you to customize the encounters.

How are you able to have different outcomes? I've tried a few different ways to have "optional" quests in the foundry so that the player could chose different paths, but have been unsuccessful. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
    Killz2Many ~ Greatest Weapon Fighter ~ Dragon Shard
    game-of-thrones-dani-burn-deal-with-it.gif
  • hippyshakehippyshake Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just wanted to pop in and say Congrats on the Spotlight!
  • wraiith32wraiith32 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great quest. How did you actually implement the difficulty slider?
  • casten24casten24 Member Posts: 121 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Not a bad quest. I must admit, though, that talking with the NPCs felt a lot like talking to the same person. They all seemed to have the same personality. The difficulty slider wasn't that bad of an idea, either. Although, the use of mushrooms did seem a bit arbitrary as well as all the good/neutral/evil conversation choices (but that can't really be helped with how limiting the foundry is at the moment). Still, a nice touch, arbitrary aside. It has given me an idea, though, about implementing a difficulty slider in a quest I'm working on myself, so thank you for that.

Edit: Oh, I also liked the minimization of OOC text. I know the visuals are somewhat limiting, but you did extremely well "showing not telling."
    The Portrait Gray Campaign
    Prologue: Fort Neverember
    NW-DL2RVQ54C
    Chapter 1: The Gray Portrait
    NW-DHGEFBMGD
    edited May 2013
    casten24 wrote: »
    I must admit, though, that talking with the NPCs felt a lot like talking to the same person. They all seemed to have the same personality.

That's not something I had considered. Thanks, I need to look into that when I revise it.
  • poigtpoigt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    I did really enjoy this. Love the idea of difficulty sliders but it must be a pain to have to design your adventure three times over! Its effective though, and I wanted you to know I appreciate it. Some of those fights could use a few extra mobs if possible on hard (played as a L30 rogue this evening).
  • neecko92neecko92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just played through this. Really great quest! A level 18 cleric on hard mode - was a challenge, but really fun.
  • glantorxglantorx Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hi decided to run your quest.

Nicely done, maybe a little cluttered for my taste but well setup.

Liked the use of triggers and a nice dialogue.

One point: After setting the difficulty to easy for first run I had a problem at the end of the alleyway were a mob was stuck in the scenery, just passed the last gateway. My companion followed it in and I had to dismiss it and re-summon before the mob released from scenery. Small point.

But very enjoyable: 5 Stars for creativity.
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Grats on being featured Zovya!
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
    edited June 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »
    Grats on being featured Zovya!

No way! I just saw that! Thanks
  • sourcreamkingsourcreamking Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This was awesome! Great job!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The entire campaign can be found here: NWS-DQS27OINC

Individual quests:
    1. Heeding the Call - NW-DMJCDZ5XJ
    2. Bored of the Rings - NW-DFWE3XR6W
    3. Draconian Ways - NW-DUNZEJG2J
    4. When All is Said and Done... - Look at the picture ;)
    edited June 2013
    This was awesome! Great job!!

Thanks!!!!!
  • stingo45stingo45 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Chapter 1 is great, but I find I am unable to make my escape... I get "Unable to perform this interaction at this time". I've gone through where I could and eliminated NPCs, so I'm not sure what to do now?
  • shadypantsshadypants Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    stingo45 wrote: »
    Chapter 1 is great, but I find I am unable to make my escape... I get "Unable to perform this interaction at this time". I've gone through where I could and eliminated NPCs, so I'm not sure what to do now?

I'm having the same problem. I can't get through the door in the basement. Otherwise it was a fun quest!
    edited June 2013
    Weird. I wonder what might be causing that. Since it's featured now, I can't change it. You can use the exit button on the mini-map.
  • pollenipolleni Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Great adventure. I enjoyed it.
    House of Araball
    NW-DQ4WYNIVGlogo-on.png
  • ampjackampjack Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thanks to your quest I have a larger interest in user-built quests.
    It was great, thanks! :)