test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can anyone explain how?

mitotemitote Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 42 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So, I've been hacked.
Not the first nor the last person in Universe to face that :D
BUT the details are interesting.
Logged into the game as usual and saw a new lvl 1 character. Then i saw my Astral Diamonds are gone. And yes I was foolish enough to buy the 200 euro founder's pack.

So, I checked my email and saw a confirming message that a browser with an IP from IRAN was sucessfully saved.
Then i checked the email activity (gmail has this nice feature) and my email was accessed ONLY from my IP's.
This makes me conclude that my email was NOT hacked.
Also I do have different passwords for game account and email account.

On a side note, if they see that I logged in 100 times from somewhere in Europe and suddenly I log in from Iran, shouldn't this raise a flag somwhere?

So can anyone explain what happened?

Is this game even safe to play? Considering you are "free to pay" for it?

Cheers.
Post edited by mitote on

Comments

• jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    An email from Account Guard was sent to my email this morning around 2am from China (ip address listed in the email). All my stuff wasnt taken and all my characters are there.

pop a support ticket and see what they can do.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Any chance you have used some remote apps for gateway?
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »

only the gateway.playneverwinter.com via mobile browser or pc browser. no apps are officially launched (by Cryptic or PWE) so i wont download any until then.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • mitotemitote Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jetah wrote: »
    pop a support ticket and see what they can do.

Did that one week ago.
    As expected I only got an automated answer. Waiting for the second automated answer to tell me to resubmit the ticket as they lost the first one.
    From what i've heard this is common practice for them :rolleyes:
  • mitotemitote Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »

No I didn't.
  • pestilence149pestilence149 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Wow, honestly dude apparently it takes over 10+ days to even hear a word your better off restarting entirely :/ sorry for the bad news bro, have some myself and still awaitin tickets. Day 6 now :/
    Foundry Missions ;
    By ; @pestilence149
    Gladiators of Dhara (Easy) & (Hard)
    ELIGIBLE FOR THE DAILY FOUNDRY REWARDS!
    Search by Best : Name/Summary/Short-Code ; Gladiators
    NW-DJJS7OWZI (For easy)
    NW-DPT9I8RKF (For hard)

Any feedback and suggestions are welcome please enjoy!
    edited June 2013
    Still my question remains. How was I hacked? My email was accessed by me only, still the account was hacked.
    Was it brute force or something?
    I am really reluctant to invest any time or money in a game that can't guarantee my account safety.
  • demattodematto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    two common culprits to look for would be
    1: Your info (account name/email/password combination) was on a 'list' somewhere and they just tried it to try it. More possible if you've used this account name and this password in an MMO before.
    2: fake site. Do you use, for example, the Neverwinter Wiki? It's possible the hackers got a fake website up top on google and were able to get a keylogger onto you while you were following the links on NW wiki or a fake gateway one day.
  • turkf54turkf54 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18
    edited June 2013
    I had a similar incident, however I was lucky in that I had set up my account so that it can only be accessed from my computer. Interestingly enough, it started as soon as I purchased the $60 pack. After the purchase (Approx 12 hours) I received numerous email warnings that someone was trying to access my account from another computer and it suggested I change my password. The warnings stopped after I accessed my account and changed the password.

My only conclusion is that the breach of my original password occurred from PW's side as I don't use gateway nor have I purchased any gold, zen and such, just the $60 pack. As soon as whomever saw that I had 600k AD, the access attempts started.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well It could have been a brute force approach.

If you responded to any official looking PM's that had links in them you may have given away your password and account name.

If your account name is fairly straight forward or the same as your forum name and your password isn't super secure you could have suffered a brute force hacking attack on it. Or if you use that account name/password combination in another game.

If you gave your account name and password to any friend no matter how trustworthy, or guildy.

If you have a keylogger or other trojan designed to steal game information and send it on on your computer.

If you used a 3rd party app to access the gateway website. [You said not this]

If you use a 3rd party app to make your gaming easier. [some of them/a lot of them are not at all trustworty. Some are very trustworty.]

And there are others though those are the most common.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    turkf54 wrote: »
    I had a similar incident, however I was lucky in that I had set up my account so that it can only be accessed from my computer. Interestingly enough, it started as soon as I purchased the $60 pack. After the purchase (Approx 12 hours) I received numerous email warnings that someone was trying to access my account from another computer and it suggested I change my password. The warnings stopped after I accessed my account and changed the password.

My only conclusion is that the breach of my original password occurred from PW's side as I don't use gateway nor have I purchased any gold, zen and such, just the $60 pack. As soon as whomever saw that I had 600k AD, the access attempts started.

The $60 pack goes through a different vendor than zen purchases do. And it sounds like someone got only your account name and tried to brute force hack it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    I am playing MMO's for ages. I am old enough not to be fooled by fake sites or fake GM inquiries :).
    Also not using bots or other **** like that :)

Still, even if my game password was hacked, if the hackers accessed the game from a different IP then the ones I have validated, they should have used a confirmation code sent to my email. And my email was not hacked.

Or is it something that I don't understand here?
  • klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    As soon as whomever saw that I had 600k AD, the access attempts started.

This is the part that scares me. So far, it looks like people who bought any kind of packs are the ones who are being targeted. I could be wrong here, but has anybody who hasn't bought a pack (or spent money in any other way) been hacked?
    edited June 2013
    Well I have been playing the game for a month or so, and then i bought the pack. As soon as i bought it i was hacked. Or PWE was hacked...
    edited June 2013
    So they migh have a database of players that bought the packs?

Again, I still do not understand how was I hacked without my email being hacked.
    This is really scarry and people that buy packs should be made aware of it.
  • beccanaebeccanae Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I was also hacked without my email being accessed last Friday and had bought a pack. I used the gateway without any extra apps and do not bot. I have the text code to phone option turned on the gmail I use for the game. My home computer IP is the only one to access my gmail account. I had a unique password used for this game only which had numbers, symbols, upper and lower case letters. I also did virus and spyware scans and found nothing. I am very careful with what I click and have an anti-phising virus software installed. I still have heard nothing back from PWE except first auto response acknowledging ticket.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Two of my friends were hacked and surprise surprise they both had a third party android app for the gateway.

There justification....but it had four stars and the guy who made it answered questions in the review. :rolleyes:

Honestly unless it comes from PWE or cryptic don't use it.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited June 2013
    beccanae wrote: »
    I was also hacked without my email being accessed last Friday and had bought a pack. I used the gateway without any extra apps and do not bot. I have the text code to phone option turned on the gmail I use for the game. My home computer IP is the only one to access my gmail account. I had a unique password used for this game only which had numbers, symbols, upper and lower case letters. I also did virus and spyware scans and found nothing. I am very careful with what I click and have an anti-phising virus software installed. I still have heard nothing back from PWE except first auto response acknowledging ticket.

So what's the point of the email verification code then? If you can be hacked bypassing the email code pwe sends, it's all useless.

Also, Day 10 w/o any real answer from pwe (except the automatic macro)
  • nuncainvernonuncainverno Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Two of my friends were hacked and surprise surprise they both had a third party android app for the gateway.

There justification....but it had four stars and the guy who made it answered questions in the review. :rolleyes:

Honestly unless it comes from PWE or cryptic don't use it.
    This post made me laugh. It just shows how foolish people can be.