test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

64 bit client available or coming?

daralenmantadaralenmanta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 6 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
I Googled around a bit and didn't notice that there was a definitive answer on this. Since x64 systems and those with more than 4GB of RAM (especially when you start counting VRAM) are becoming more and more commonplace, can we expect a 64 bit client at some point? I used the 64 bit client for WoW, when I played, and I noticed two things that were encouraging:

-The 64 bit client download was relatively small and didn't require an entire reinstall of the game.
-The performance difference between the 32 and 64 bit clients on my PC was noticeable and significant.

Any construcive comments are appreciated.
Post edited by daralenmanta on

Comments

• Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Id enjoy a 64 bit version all of my PCs for the past 5- 7 years have been 64 bit including a vista desktop I won in 2007
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sirus49651sirus49651 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 31
    edited March 2013
    yeh seriously my phone has more then 4 gigs of ram lol
  • Options
    digidagdigidag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 60
    edited March 2013
    I would hardly count it as a nessecity, seeing as the whole game is built around the x86 architecture. But it would never hurt to have it for future expansion or compatibility's sake.
  • Options
    darkstorn42darkstorn42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If the game is very successful then I am sure we will see some form of 64-bit compatibility if there is not any now. But as it stands now it is way more work to make a 64-bit game then 32. So its a little late to start talking about that now.
  • Options
    digidagdigidag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 60
    edited March 2013
    [...] But as it stands now it is way more work to make a 64-bit game then 32. [...]
    I like these comments. In general (if done right, mind you) the main issue in a program are the API's and such used to program it. Since these are generally still x86 based, rather than x86_64. If however, you have libraries with both forms of binaries supported you can swap between the two with relative ease.
  • Options
    kaliphoonkaliphoon Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    and... since the bots and exploits are running 64bit.. and can not be detected by process, because 32bit can not view/monitor 64bit processes... that would help fix that problem.

It may be a good time investment.
  • Options
    chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I would also like to see a 64 bit version.