test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I really want to love this game

kitandkaboodlekitandkaboodle Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've enjoyed the quests lines. Love finding a chest to loot, secret doors to open, and getting to use kits on "resources" I find. There are just a few things that set my teeth on edge and are starting to frustrate me

1. The "Free Companion" who is pretty much an aggro magnet and dies to a hit or two once you get above 50. As a GF with the Priestess, I'll taunt and try to hold threat and the mobs are on her like....well, it isn't pretty to say the least. I'd love to have a "purple" healer who could stick with me as I run solo foundry quests for my 4K AD each day, but I can't upgrade her because its "coming soon". It bugs me that to get a decent companion its pay cash, grind AD to buy one on the AH or PVP to get a blue one (not really into PVP myself, so havn't considered this yet...but might out of desperation)

2. The combat "Don't you dare try to move", other games allow more freedom of movement so you can interrupt an action you started. This game doesn't let you do that and sometimes it seems like I start something just before the baddies start up their nuke and I'm standing still and can't do a thing about it till I finish my swing.

3. Gotta buy it if you want it. So you can buy white crafting tools from the crafting vendor, but can you buy green ones? Sure, but only if you go to the house of Zen and pay cash. Basically game is free to play, but if you want to craft you gotta pay! Still, guess I should expect this since the chance of fusing the high end enchants is so poor, unless you want to pay $10 to make sure it works. Seems like they found key points in the game where you can limp through or work around with some pain, but if you are in a hurry and want it now, just pay and go on your way. It bugs me advancement is more about how much you are willing to pay than play. (I didn't say it was pay to win, but I do think its pay to play easier, faster and better than someone who doesn't pay)

I've had some great moments, but every time it seems like I'm just starting to enjoy something, I run into another of the PWE cash grabs that pull the rug out from under me and make me want to give the designers a super weggie. It's like 'wasn't that fun? you can have even more if you pay us!' or you can just grind away slowwwwwwly and hope you can get it on the AH one day!

So as my post title says, I wish I could love this game, but I'm starting to hate what PWE did with its ZEN shop and having key elements only available via cash.

Oh and I almost forgot! As for those 50 Nightmare lockboxes mocking me....only $1.25 to open each of them (or get 10 for $11.25 - so I could drop $56.25 just to open a drop taking up space in my bags!)
Post edited by kitandkaboodle on

Comments

• Options
    lilmonkey222lilmonkey222 Banned Users Posts: 296 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    2. The combat "Don't you dare try to move", other games allow more freedom of movement so you can interrupt an action you started. This game doesn't let you do that and sometimes it seems like I start something just before the baddies start up their nuke and I'm standing still and can't do a thing about it till I finish my swing.

This is fully intentional. You're supposed to think well about your positioning and timing. As for the baddies' "nukes", you get plenty of time to dodge/sprint/block. Really, you do.
  • Options
    phaazenphaazen Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wish that everything was available in the AD store and p2p of $60+ players got Ad at 2x speed so that it doesnt seem like its ripping you off if you paid full game price for it and you can still grind it out if you are f2p
  • Options
    kitandkaboodlekitandkaboodle Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is fully intentional. You're supposed to think well about your positioning and timing. As for the baddies' "nukes", you get plenty of time to dodge/sprint/block. Really, you do.

I know that, but having played other MMO's (in particular GW2) it seems so static and artificial
  • Options
    lessflosslessfloss Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel almost the same way. I am completely willing to pay for a game i like. Evaluating this beta has made me cynical. I did spend some money ($20) and I have almost nothing to show for it. Then I keep coming across more clever ways they try get more money from me. Sure, I'll bend over for you. :rolleyes:

I don't like the bind on equip BS. Oh, I was told it's so the market doesn't get flooded which would cause everything to be uber low in value. I think not having 40 listing spaces would help with that. Plus I didn't think they cared about keeping the values of things on the AH high because it would feed the freeloaders.

The final straw for me was the hideous community. Absolute b i t ch e s. Some people on here are toooooo sexually frustrated. It's JUST a game. I have been trying a few different MMO's lately and this one tops it with <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Is there anyways I can sue to get my money back? LOL. I think the stress this game caused me can be used to make a case. lol
  • Options
    lilmonkey222lilmonkey222 Banned Users Posts: 296 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I know that, but having played other MMO's (in particular GW2) it seems so static and artificial

Yeah, GW2's approach seemed nice at first, but it becomes pretty stupid quickly.

GW2 players now refer to its combat as 'ice skating'. I think that says it all :)
  • Options
    swoomustdienowswoomustdienow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Oh and I almost forgot! As for those 50 Nightmare lockboxes mocking me....only $1.25 to open each of them (or get 10 for $11.25 - so I could drop $56.25 just to open a drop taking up space in my bags!)

So far on my cleric I have an Ioun Stone of Allure, Respec tokens, extra char slots, and about 50 keys purchased - some for raiding gold, some to just gamble to make a little more money than the key cost (a mount would just be bonus) as you can usually get 125 Zen on Beholder for about 42-43k - and it's been done completely within the astral to zen exchange. I'd buy an epic zen mount but none of them have really caught my eye for a Half-Elf Cleric of Larethian.

Once you start running dungeons, greeding epics nobody needs, and putting them up on the AH the money starts to roll in.

I can say with 100% certainty that zen for money is just the quicker way, not the only/better way. I was ready to spit blood at the zen shop when I started and saw the prices, but now that I see how it works at 60, I'm cool with it.
  • Options
    lessflosslessfloss Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    this needs to be bumped because I freaken said so.
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    the GWF has the slowest animation of any other class. i've heard my groups GWF complain about it many times.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/