test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tarrasque

marokkrellmarokkrell Member Posts: 42 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
Some of you may or may not have heard of this monster. This is a legendary monster that has been around for a awhile in the D&D world. I post some link's if you want to know more about it. It is a monster I didn't get to use very often when I use to DM, but when I did it was always been a fun and extremely tough battle for those who are fighting against it. :D

Anyway, I was thinking this could be a good monster for later on end game content. There is a lot of different idea's that can be used with this monster. Especially, an event that happen's once a month or a year, being since this monster actually come's out every so often to eat and destroy. Then again, perhaps with the event that is currently surrounding Neverwinter, maybe it awoke this powerful creature from it's deep slumber. Just one of the many idea's.

This monster would be a good one with no mob's. If mob's are thrown in it would take way the idea of how powerful this creature is. It would also be a good monster to use for a 10 or 20 person PvE. I am not even sure if it is possible to make something this massive in the game, but it would be awesome to fight this creature. Once again this would be a really good monster to have with no mob's ;). Any idea's or suggestion's would be great. Maybe with enough support and feedback cryptic might consider it. I doubt it, but you never know.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Here is a couple of links for those who want to know more about this monster.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/tarrasque.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarrasque_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

MM35_PG240.jpg
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."

~Napoleon Bonaparte
Post edited by marokkrell on

Comments

• Options
    chudovishyechudovishye Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My god I would love to fight this thing. Always fun to pull out in old 2nd ed.
  • Options
    herakleiaherakleia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    I already have one as a mount.
  • Options
    veb13nveb13n Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ooh, this reminds me of Planescape Torment! :) And isn't this one of the most powerful monsters in the old Monsters Manual from the early 90s? I don't remember which edition.
  • Options
    edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I think they have more important things to worry about.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    veb13n wrote: »
    Ooh, this reminds me of Planescape Torment! :) And isn't this one of the most powerful monsters in the old Monsters Manual from the early 90s? I don't remember which edition.

If i remember right, yeah. It would actually be a great raid boss, as the description sounds perfect, also explaining why many different groups could fight it, as it never really dies, just hibernates.
    In the 4th edition version of the game, the tarrasque cannot be killed; reducing it to 0 hit points causes it to burrow into the core of the earth to slumber for a time (instead of killing it). The only monsters that are more feared in combat are deities, the largest and oldest dragons, certain powerful outsiders (such as demon lords) and epic monsters.
  • Options
    ifthirifthir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 281 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Heh. In the old canon, that thing had ridiculous armor plating, couldn't be harmed by +5 or less weapons, and its claws and teeth were vorpal.
  • Options
    munedarmunedar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do.

Not.

Want.

Those things are bloody evil.

In other words... That would make an appropriately evil and difficult raid boss. XD

If you really want to be an ***, you could always make a Demon Wall a raid boss. LOL

Gelatinous cubes were often an adventurers nightmare as well, since people were often not equipped to deal with them. And they LOVED popping up on you in trapped corridors. But we've already seen those in NW and they're not all that bad in here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    munedar wrote: »
    Gelatinous cubes were often an adventurers nightmare as well,

Oh man, i just realized i don't remember if rust monsters are in here. Nightmares in PnP, and even in DDO people got scared of them, warforged more so. I doubt it will happen here, but how funny would it be if they ate our gear? ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I think they have more important things to worry about.

I don't mean they do this idea now. I realize they still got a lot of work to do still with this game, but it could be something later on down the road like a year or so.

Ya I have used rust monster and Gelatinous cube's many times in my campaign's. I also enjoyed using Swarm's, and Night Twist ;). I hope they bring in Balor Demon's. That would be cool to fight one.

~Napoleon Bonaparte
  • Options
    vaichanavaichana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    Well the Tarrasque used to be the strongest "non epic" monster, short maybe of the oldest dragons. Back in AD&D you needed to beat the hell out of it (which was considerably hard given a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> damage reduction, regeneration, spell resistance AND constant spell reflection effect from his carapace) to something like -100 hps or things like that, THEN use a Wish just to stop its regeneration and let it "die". It awakening was described as a cataclysmatic event that could destroy nations as it went around rampaging and feeding until it had enough and returned to its slumber. It would indeed make sense to have it as a raid boss.

Although what would be really funny is an Epic Rust Monster. Eating away all your gearz and making us fighters' life even more miserable than it is now. Yay.
  • Options
    shad99shad99 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Rust monsters who could weaken (lessen damage) and enfeeble (reducing defense) could be quite challenging.

Tarrasque.... The original source of the whole 'vorpal' idea... I'd rather fight a elder dragon... At least in PnP. In this game I can imagine massive bleeds and massive HP...
  • Options
    dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It isn't "a" Tarrasque, it is THE Tarrasque. This is what you throw at epic level characters who have beaten Gods in combat in order to bring campaigns to an end. The Tarrasque is D&D's final boss fight.
  • Options
    karandordaockarandordaoc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Well in 4e the tarrasque is a level 30 monster which would be equivalent to level 90 in this game. Level 60 is equivalent to level 21 without the Epic Destiny. Epic destinies are feature sets that let you do crazy stuff in the Epic tier of DnD 4e. An example of a cool 4e epic destiny is Arch Lich, your wizard has unlocked the secrets to becoming a lich without sacrificing himself to dark powers. You get a damaging aura, resistance to necrotic and poison, +2 to intelligence and yes you become impossible to kill without having your phylactery destroyed. The level 30 feature is that whenever an enemy is reduced to 0 HP (killed) you get back an encounter power of your choice.

I hope this game does well enough to expand the game up to that level so that we can get epic destinies and fight some of the crazier stuff like gods and elder dragons and the Tarrasque.
  • Options
    munedarmunedar Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    Oh man, i just realized i don't remember if rust monsters are in here. Nightmares in PnP, and even in DDO people got scared of them, warforged more so. I doubt it will happen here, but how funny would it be if they ate our gear? ;)

Oh yea... Bloody forgot those things. LOL Screw those too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If we need a monster with no mob's and something that could still give 10 to 20 player raid a heck of an challenge. This would be the boss.

I do have a question though, since this is a MMO. Could something that massive be built in the game and still handle 10 to 20 more player's fighting it? Mind you I've only played one other MMO and that was STO.

~Napoleon Bonaparte
  • Options
    platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I remember this thing. It was in the Monster Manual II. Couldn't you forge a +5 Vorpal Sword from one of its teeth or something crazy like that? And iirc to kill it permanently you had to slay it then use 3 wishes worded correctly... Crazy monster but very epic.
  • Options
    arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The Tarrasque in 4e ignores all resistances and will pull flying creatures within a large radius to within melee range. I believe the abilities are called Elder of Annihilation and Earthbound Aura respectively, IIRC.
    Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
  • Options
    zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They should be fixing class balance way before planning on bringing something like that out.