test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

zero strategy involved in pvp

morvek01morvek01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
Yo cryptic,

You folks have not played much pvp past the early test phase with your own testers have you? Please, by all means, post up some screenshots of you playing current pvp, as I've stated in a previous post, players come up with more jacked up combinations of skills/gear than you people know about. Simple enough, just window your game screen and the bottom corner will show date/time. I would hope we can trust you to not cheat. There is absolutely zero reason folks should be hitting for anywhere near 20k in one hit in pvp, or over 20k for that matter, when most people are right around 20k health to begin with. I've been hit for 32k when I was at half health before....11k health and I get hit for 32k? WTF were you all smoking that morning? You're creating an environment of no strategy. If that's what you're after, then you've succeeded. Zero strategy involved in pvp as things stand. It's purely a zerg fest.Forget doing pvp beyond the daily. With the state of this aspect of the game....well put plainly, it's ****.
Don't get me wrong, there's a good base to work with but between the unmodified damage that players do to each other, the pay to win aspect of enchants and the disparity of mount speeds, this facet of your game needs some serious love.

PS - FFS quit telling me in pvp matches "Your companion can't help you here" I get it already, once at the start of the match is enough /facepalm
If you can't be constructive in your criticism, go back to world-of-whiners.
Post edited by morvek01 on

Comments

• Options
    hardc0reyhardc0rey Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you don't know what hit you for 32k then you're not doing it right. Before whining about pvp balance you should at least have some sort of an idea of what each class' abilities are.
    Hardcorey
    Dorks with Tranquilizers
  • Options
    ac1ds74rac1ds74r Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    once the words "pay to win" get thrown into a QQ post, you know the OP is usually a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that needs to L2P.

this goes for all games. I've never once had to worry about people that spend money on their <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> winning on the account of the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> they've bought, not in any game. if you don't want to spend money on a free game, then you don't have an excuse to complain. you're getting a video game for free. get good and you'll notice that none of that even affects you.

with all that being said, PVP is excessive. not due to 'pay to win' but due to classes abilities just being broken. as a CW, i can dish out <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> amounts of burst and lol@ melee classes as they stand still swiping at air after i blink away, instantly throwing more force-chokes and slows, punts when they finally get near me and continue to lol at them as i blink away and do it all over again once they finally reach me again.

as my rogue, and my favorite class to play, i can sneak around with a limited sneak (which is nice. having limitations is great in my oppinion) I can hit a guy for half his health on a lashing blade straight from stealth and if my shocking execution daily is up, i can hit him and kill him instantly. as fun as that is, it's broken. once i hit 52 and got my shocking execution daily specced in, the first words out of my mouth was " oh. my. god."

its not just rogues though, all classes in this game are excessively broken. tanks hit like... well... an abrams. they have more mobility than any other class and knock downs to boot.

so, yeah. abilities currently scale excessively, and to add to that, they threw in high level gear right off the bat (stupid on every level, i have no idea what's wrong with just having blue gear in games these days) and not to mention made it accessable to where even people that don't even play can get them.

they can't scale down the abilties though, because all the pve in the game is scaled around that damage.
  • Options
    xanos900xanos900 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    of course there is tactic and strategy, you just have to be good at it. if you know nothing about strategy then you'll probably fail.

in one match it was like 600(us) to780(them) we had 1, they had 2 and 3. i knew i have to do something or we will just end up in a lemming-situation. (endless rushing into 2, until we lose)

so as my team tried to rush at 2, and fought a 4v5. i sneaked past them and got to 3. i knew that we usually wouldn't win the 4v5 up there, but at the same time, we will get 3 instead in this time, IF THEY would send people to me to deny that we get 3. my team would probably win the fight at 2.. its a win-win situation for us even if i would prefer 2, because 1 and 2 is easier to defend.

okay, i got surprised with no enemy's attacks, i got 3, and saw that my team is still fighting a 2v3 at 2, so i rushed to 2, fell the enemy team in the back and we got 2.

bam! 1,2 and 3. all bases, the end of the game we could easily defend in front of their spawn and won.
  • Options
    nukeyoonukeyoo Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lol PvP is pretty broken when it comes to CW and Rogue... sure other classes have some great abilities when geared and spec'd right, they don't really compared to a well played/geared CW or Rogue when it comes to over all game play and continuous effectiveness. Haven't spent a dime on the game but have spent the time. Fully geared CW in t2 sets with greater plaguefire and 6 greater tenebrous enchants, there's so many broken aspects of the game, but like the others have said. It's a work in progress and it's free to play, spend the time like I did to get the gear to be OP or pay the money. If you don't do either and quit the game, guess what nobody is out any money. To be quite honest, pugging with my CW and dropping 30+ kills a SC gets a tad bit boring. Usually can only manage 2-3 before I stop queuing.
  • Options
    gctrlgctrl Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    morvek01 wrote: »
    zero strategy involved in pvp

Oh great, I didn't realize this, I guess I'll just make a 5 man and stand at the middle point for the whole game, actually no, thats too much strategy, I'll just stand in spawn with my team and we'll win, cause you know, there is zero strategy involved in pvp. Just enter the map and wait for victory. Don't bother theorycrafting, thinking about your feats or what your skill loadout should be, that **** will get you nowhere, just blindfold yourself, put points into whatever, sell all your gear: instant WIN.
    Guild: Lemonade Stand | Server: Dragon (Original) | PvP Forever | 1og0s
    * TWITCH * YOUTUBE * MY GUIDES *
  • Options
    ifthirifthir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 281 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ac1ds74r wrote: »
    once the words "pay to win" get thrown into a QQ post, you know the OP is usually a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that needs to L2P.

this goes for all games. I've never once had to worry about people that spend money on their <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> winning on the account of the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> they've bought, not in any game. if you don't want to spend money on a free game, then you don't have an excuse to complain. you're getting a video game for free. get good and you'll notice that none of that even affects you.

Great post to here.
    ac1ds74r wrote: »
    and if my shocking execution daily is up, i can hit him and kill him instantly. as fun as that is, it's broken. once i hit 52 and got my shocking execution daily specced in, the first words out of my mouth was " oh. my. god."

Why would anyone stick around the second a rogue leaves his/her feet? The rogue can't really root you or do much to stun you out so they can stick the SE. The best pkers move, laugh when you waste your daily, and then stun lock you into the ground if they are a GF, or lashing blade you back if they are another rogue. I haven't seen a character yet who was unbeatable and even as a rogue who some call OP, I still get owned by smarter/better pk'ers all the time. Its still, like you said in the first part of your post, L2P.

I totally disagree about shocking execution being broken. Its good in PvP but not the end all be all. In PVE its pretty much worthless until enemies like demi-liches come out with less HP but insane amounts of DR.
  • Options
    cibicibi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The original poster is completely right. The pvp is broken, and meaningless, no strategy and no fun. Some geared op classes maybe enjoy it temporary, but its ruining game. I dont know anyone in this game atm who plays pvp cause its fun, or good, they all do it just for daily. It is disaster and you better do something about it fast.
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Donkey Teeth.

/thread
  • Options
    honoraryorangehonoraryorange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are some issues with PVP but not with what you've listed.

People being able to use a daily to 1 shot people is stupid.

As a CW I can kill most people within the space of a few seconds while keeping them CC'd. Rogues can do the same thing.

GFs can hit people for super ridiculous amounts while having high mitigation and keep people knocked down with NO chance to dodge for the entire time until they're dead.

Double up clerics can keep multiple Astral Shield's down and be invincible to a team without good teamwork.

GWF, well, sorry.
  • Options
    uxvorastrixuxvorastrix Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PVP in all MMOs is pointless. It is and always will be about buffing up as far as possible, score the quick kill or simply button-mash after that.

It will never be balanced because each class has a different role. Fighters in this game are designed to do low damage to multiple targets, rogues are designed to do massive damage to one target. Priests are designed to heal, and wizards are designed to control groups. But in PvP you frequently find yourself fighting one enemy, which means the rogue will always come out on top because that's their specialty. Unless the rogue is a moron, they will always win.
    D&D DM/Player since 1982 - all versions except the despised 4e
  • Options
    geflingeflin Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    PVP in all MMOs is pointless. It is and always will be about buffing up as far as possible, score the quick kill or simply button-mash after that.

While somewhat true this game take it to an extreme.

There is no way the development team put any actual thought into PvP. I simply can't believe rational people, professional people, would develop this garbage on purpose. At this point the PvP in this game is hopeless. Nothing short of removing it from the game and starting over will get this anywhere close to 'okay' and 'good' is a dream we can all forget.
  • Options
    gctrlgctrl Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    It will never be balanced because each class has a different role. Fighters in this game are designed to do low damage to multiple targets, rogues are designed to do massive damage to one target. Priests are designed to heal, and wizards are designed to control groups. But in PvP you frequently find yourself fighting one enemy, which means the rogue will always come out on top because that's their specialty. Unless the rogue is a moron, they will always win.

So much fail in this comment I don't even know where to start. First of all, the classes have basic roles that they are innately good at, that does NOT mean they can't go outside of their role and take on the role of something else. A GF specced a certain way can do massive amounts of single target damage and can stun lock people. One of these you would think the role of a rogue and the other a control wizard, yet if you learn about GF and play properly you can do exactly what another class is doing, and even do it better sometimes. This goes for all the other classes, a dps, cc cleric is totally possible. You just have to put a little effort into learning about the game and improving your skill.

If you always die to a certain class in a 1v1 or just in general, find out what skills they're using on you, what the animations for the deadliest ones look like and then see how you can avoid them better.

You're simply not trying hard enough, just like there is nuance in life, there is nuance in video games, especially mmos, where increasingly more often you have the ability to deeply customize your character in all aspects. Just think for a second about how much you can customize your character in NW, from the moment you choose a race and roll the set of stats you think you want, to the gear and enchants you decide to put on, to the feats and skill loadout you use. Things are not so black and white. Experienced, thoughtful players understand this, and so they succeed while crybabies like yourself continue to see things as black and white, never once entertaining the idea of a grey area or putting the effort in to finding it.
    PVP in all MMOs is pointless.

Yup, testing your skills against another human being is totally pointless, I just want to fight ai all day who repeat the same actions over and over again, thats so much more profound and meaningful.
    It is and always will be about buffing up as far as possible, score the quick kill or simply button-mash after that.

Once again, that is your narrowminded view of things, thats what YOU do in pvp. YOU try to buff up, YOU try to get quick kills, YOU button mash. Please dont speak for the rest of us.
    Guild: Lemonade Stand | Server: Dragon (Original) | PvP Forever | 1og0s
    * TWITCH * YOUTUBE * MY GUIDES *
  • Options
    newtype88newtype88 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    More like players use zero strat. PVP is ridiculously easy for me because people don't know how to play; committing 2-3 players to defending a point against one person, thinking k/d has any merit in DOMINATION, standing there defending a point; leaving their team at a man power disadvantage, falling victim to the most simple of deceptive maneuvers(mount chases, lol), etc.

I'm a GWF and I consistently top the scoreboard just from point caps alone, lol. If it were a straight up PVP; I'd get rolled 90% of the time, yes, but balancing isn't easy. It's only been weeks, no?

And the game is ****ing free... what's with the whiny tones from you people. Stop being so ungrateful.

And L2P.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

It will never be balanced in any game because there's always going to be varying levels of player skill. In this particular game the skill cap for any particular class is rather low once the basics are learned. Outcomes between similarly skilled, geared, classed players will come down to latency and/or who messes up first. Just like in the majority of mmo pvp.

In regards to your rogue always coming out on top. If the rogue has his daily and the cw doesn't, is the only way I see a good rogue beating a good cw.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    newtype88 wrote: »
    thinking k/d has any merit in DOMINATION

I love the folks like you that run continuously out to cap points and die 15 times then gloat about them winning. Merit is in the eye of the beholder. Some people see pvp and think of it where players actually fight each other and try to win, while others run around fights to cause distractions and cap points which I see as player versus player at pve. I realize the game is dominance, but where's the merit in winning the game while dying repeatedly when all that you're winning is well nothing? I'll gladly take my 26-0 k/d ratio and a loss versus 3-12 k/d ratio and a win... You can have the extra 350 glory.
  • Options
    izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nukeyoo wrote: »
    I love the folks like you that run continuously out to cap points and die 15 times then gloat about them winning. Merit is in the eye of the beholder. Some people see pvp and think of it where players actually fight each other and try to win, while others run around fights to cause distractions and cap points which I see as player versus player at pve. I realize the game is dominance, but where's the merit in winning the game while dying repeatedly when all that you're winning is well nothing? I'll gladly take my 26-0 k/d ratio and a loss versus 3-12 k/d ratio and a win... You can have the extra 350 glory.

This is not very clever.
  • Options
    newtype88newtype88 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    nukeyoo wrote: »

You're assuming my k/d is 3-12, it isn't, lol. I usually get zero deaths and very few kills. Merit? it's DOMINATION, the point is to cap the points, not rack up kills.

I'll gladly run around capping points and watch people fight each other mindlessly around the map, lol. It's pretty funny, plus I get an extra 350 glory.

And you're rewarded a random blue item if you the top board, there's some merit for you. Derp.
  • Options
    morvek01morvek01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    the point I was trying to make is that CC of any kind during pvp, when the damage is unmodified like in this game, is stupid. I or anyone else for that matter, should NOT be able to kill someone during a 2-3 second interval while they're locked down. period. if you think that constitutes real pvp then you're less than s-m-r-t. The game becomes a zerg fest in this state, who has more people going for each goal, in this case pillars. That's not strategy, it might be A strategy, but it's not very strategic as it's just safety in numbers.
    If you can't be constructive in your criticism, go back to world-of-whiners.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    izatar wrote: »
    This is not very clever.

Having an opinion and sharing it, is not very clever? Duly noted. FYI in retro spec your opinion of my opinion would be "not very clever" also.
    newtype88 wrote: »
    You're assuming my k/d is 3-12, it isn't, lol. I usually get zero deaths and very few kills. Merit? it's DOMINATION, the point is to cap the points, not rack up kills.

I'll gladly run around capping points and watch people fight each other mindlessly around the map, lol. It's pretty funny, plus I get an extra 350 glory.

And you're rewarded a random blue item if you the top board, there's some merit for you. Derp.

Derrrrp, did you miss the part where I said that merit is in the eye of the beholder? That means what you might find to have merit, someone else like myself might find merit in something else. I pvp to fight and kill people. Now if there was any sort of reward that was lucrative or beneficial in some way then I might worry about winning the match, but since there's not in my opinion. I choose to fight actual people "mindlessly". Not run from point to point, laughing about people fighting in a pvp match, while I stand on it "mindfully".

I'm entitled to my non clever opinion and I find merit or lets call it entertainment in 20-0+loss over 2-0+win. Once again you can have the extra 350 glory and that really awesome random blue item that you can get if you skillfully and mindfully stand on enough points hard enough. ;)
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    morvek01 wrote: »
    PS - FFS quit telling me in pvp matches "Your companion can't help you here" I get it already, once at the start of the match is enough /facepalm

I think if you dismiss companion, this stupid message stops.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    perfectindigoperfectindigo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The point of domination instead of team deathmatch is to use strategy to get more points than the other team. This involves fighting, getting people out of position, making people waste time, etc.

Imagine if you went to watch a sport, and when the players came out, instead of playing the game, they just did warmups. 1v1 and group fights are basic skills used in domination, but they aren't the point of domination. The game is using those skills to get more points than the other team.

Contrast this to team deathmatch. The goal is to get the most kills, but the strategy is to get those kills while not dying. No one cares in team deathmatch if you personally went 26-0 if you made your teammates die twice for each kill. In domination the strategy is different, as dying takes the player off the map for a short while but may be a worthwhile strategy.

Instead of playing just to test basic skills, try playing domination.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The point of domination instead of team deathmatch is to use strategy to get more points than the other team. This involves fighting, getting people out of position, making people waste time, etc.

Imagine if you went to watch a sport, and when the players came out, instead of playing the game, they just did warmups. 1v1 and group fights are basic skills used in domination, but they aren't the point of domination. The game is using those skills to get more points than the other team.

Contrast this to team deathmatch. The goal is to get the most kills, but the strategy is to get those kills while not dying. No one cares in team deathmatch if you personally went 26-0 if you made your teammates die twice for each kill. In domination the strategy is different, as dying takes the player off the map for a short while but may be a worthwhile strategy.

Instead of playing just to test basic skills, try playing domination.

You guys seem to be too inept to understand that I grasp the basic premise of what the current and only available play set is. I UNDERSTAND. If you somehow think that "playing domination" is some superior test of skills, then you are sorely mistaken. The skill cap for anything in this game is retardedly low. Sure I can see folks fighting and then run around them to back cap a point. How is that some sort of highly intelligent strategy that tests a high level of skill? If you think that's enjoyable then more power to you. I don't.

I pick my battles, usually its running from point to point trying to find the folks trying to back cap avoiding confrontation because I've already melted their face with my non OP cw equipped in non OP gear. 9 times out of 10 unless we're outnumbered my team wins. All through playing only to test the "basic skills" and not trying to play the "highly skillful" game of domination.

I get it, some of you care about winning! You're entitled to that. I don't care, I only care about fighting you and whether or not I beat you and since I play a super gimp cw that needs some super buffs I will probably win because you're running away to a point to cap it. Stop trying to argue with me by saying there's some high level of skill involved in "strategically" running around fights to back cap points to win 350 glory and possibly a blue trash item.
  • Options
    klipstaklipsta Member Posts: 99
    edited June 2013
    You need to learn2play dude