test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Phoera Companion - Your Opinion

jiralyajiralya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Title says it all, what do you guys think about this companion, i am thinking of getting one for myself ( I am Devoted Cleric ) But not sure if its not just a waste of AD, since currently my cleric companion dies quite a lot, so did my wizard.
Post edited by jiralya on

Comments

• ideagorasideagoras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    jiralya wrote: »
    Title says it all, what do you guys think about this companion, i am thinking of getting one for myself ( I am Devoted Cleric ) But not sure if its not just a waste of AD, since currently my cleric companion dies quite a lot, so did my wizard.

It's pretty darn useless, just like the rest of the offensive type companions.
  • grokcgrokc Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    She (mines named Jean Grey) lives alot longer than my cleric did. I dont have ber geared out yet as shes only rank 25, but its fairly decent. Although I really have nothing to compare it with. As an aside, sometimes she flies in my field of vision and that can be annoying, lol!
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's completely useless until they fix companion dmg.

(They're currently only considered level 30 instead of 60 like they're supposed to be, and thus get penalized fighting higher level mobs doing literally HALF the BASE dmg they should be.)

Useful for farming low level mobs while AFK but that's it lol..

Can be useful for skipping mobs while mounted too, sorta, as your pet will aggro them with her dmg aura.
  • nexxisssnexxisss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pretty useless, they die every 2 seconds.
  • bugs55678bugs55678 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ideagoras wrote: »
    It's pretty darn useless, just like the rest of the offensive type companions.

This is from someone who obviously hasn't had their Phoera rank up to rank 30.

It is very good at rank 25+
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bugs55678 wrote: »

Yeah people don't really grasp the whole leveling up concept for companions and which situations to use what companion. I'll use my Panther if I'm dealing with mostly humanoids, the Phoera if the area or Dungeon has a lot of beast types, Priest for undead....etc .

In most every case I see people complain, they have either no wards or items or the wrong wards and items...they need to be managed, and even then they have to be leveled, because they all start out weak.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • vilocviloc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    Mine died a lot early on but now it can survive a fairly long time in epic dungeons, though I haven't geared it yet. also being a TR its pretty useful for getting agro off me if I engage, as all the adds will get on it until a healer or tank pulls aggro
  • ruex128ruex128 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    using a companion enchant for 8.5% of there stats is nice too if you have a high level companion, just adds a little extra bonus.
  • inmydotinmydot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At rank 15 it had more HP than my tank companion at rank 15. I like it more at higher levels/ranks.
  • bonfire01bonfire01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All striker type pets are a bit useless because they do bugger all damage. As with all pets they do ok at lower levels because their HP pool is big compared to the dmg they take (assuming you keep that pet out a lot and it's leveling fast) but their dmg is such a pitiful % of dmg a player does you tend to be better off with the cleric (with her scaling % of your health heal) or a tanking pet, both of whom save you using potions.

As you get closer to 60 pets die more and more (irrespective of type) and in epics they explode in seconds. by then you'll want a cat or ioun stone because they buff your stats and can't die.
    If you want to spend AD on getting a single extra pet then get a cat or ioun stone and just use the cleric or man at arms to level IMO...
  • teepussiteepussi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All striker pets are pretty much just pointless if your looking power out of them, they scale way too poorly to perform in any real way. Best they can do is get attention of mobs out of you and die. Their added damage values to your battles are non existant. So if your wondering where to focus your resources, i wouldnt recom companions such as Phoera atm. Then again if you like just visually having one, go ahead.

In my honest opinion Pets should benefit from added power / crit / armor pen etc like 2.5x value or so compared to currently doing 1/10th of the dmg. Why waste expensive runes etc on them if they dont perform. Only augment pets perform as they literally transfer the stats to your character.
  • zanthe25zanthe25 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »
    It's completely useless until they fix companion dmg.

(They're currently only considered level 30 instead of 60 like they're supposed to be, and thus get penalized fighting higher level mobs doing literally HALF the BASE dmg they should be.)

Useful for farming low level mobs while AFK but that's it lol..

Can be useful for skipping mobs while mounted too, sorta, as your pet will aggro them with her dmg aura.

I am fairly certain that 1 rank counts for equiv of 2 levels, ie rank 25 will be equiv of a lvl 50.

which is why the default companions start degrading at lvl 30 as there max rank is 15
  • jiralyajiralya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you everyone for your opinions, after reading it all i decided to not buy Phoera for my DC.
    edited May 2013
    bugs55678 wrote: »

Yeah, except, you know the fact that it does HALF THE DMG IT SHOULD BE DOING!!!

D:
    zanthe25 wrote: »
    I am fairly certain that 1 rank counts for equiv of 2 levels, ie rank 25 will be equiv of a lvl 50.

which is why the default companions start degrading at lvl 30 as there max rank is 15

I have a thread with screenshot proof that it's bugged.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?298701-Striker-Companions-Are-Useless-Broken-Please-Cryptic-D
  • jjeshopjjeshop Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mine is 30 and geared up with epics...i love it
    IGN: Teseanna

Closed :D Beta :D Tester
    [SIGPIC]i100.photobucket.com/albums/m23/jjeshop/ooo-1.png[/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    jjeshop wrote: »
    mine is 30 and geared up with epics...i love it

And it would be doing twice the dmg it is doing if they fixed it!!!
    edited May 2013
    knoteskad wrote: »
    And it would be doing twice the dmg it is doing if they fixed it!!!

i see. i'm just as upset, but as things are now it's the best striker i have.

• yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To me, companions provide a few seconds of distraction, they'll keep one or more mobs busy. The choice in companion depends on your class and playstyle.
    I found a phoera in a lockbox pretty early on in the game, didn't rune it, but it still does decently on small groups. Not killing them, occupying them. What I like is that it can fly, meaning it's easier to use the terrain to my advantage and still get the companion on the mobs. Not so useful when you don't have ranged attack though.

The galeb is nice for it's ranged taunt, but again, that may or may not be useful to your playstyle.

But the panther really surprised me. I've got it runed up pretty good, and while damage is decent, for me it's all about the knockdown.

All these special companions need some tender l&c before they get to shine.
    edited May 2013
    yep i got mine from a box like at lvl16 maybe. i thought i won the lotto! hehe
    he was just so-so at lower lvls. Now, he is more useable. as a rogue, i confront the group of mobs, do my thang, stealth and my bird takes aggro leaving me to kill mobs unchecked. he survives until i'm done. what more can you ask for :)

• arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Around level 55ish on my CW, I couldn't use my Cleric anymore. She suddenly became <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> by committing suicide and running towards a pack of mobs that I didn't aggro and were at the other end of the screen, which followed up by the adds chasing me and forcing me to waste potions cause I didn't have a healer anymore.

So I went to the AH, bought a Phoera, it was tough at first, but by the time it was level 20+, I loved it! At least when my Phoero acted <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and ran towards mobs, it didn't get one-shotted by the adds and it's AOE attack isn't all that bad either!

Just yesterday my Phoera reached level 30 and it's new attack is just INSANE!!!!!!! I only did a few Foundry's but I noticed the damage increase! It would charge into a pack of mobs and their health was dropping so much faster! I love it! Best 120k AD I ever spent so far and is so much better than the useless Cleric pet.
  • blaumkerblaumker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    I don't mind it too much, but it doesn't seem particularly impressive on the damage front. Also requires top grade tanking to keep it alive, since it'll mindlessly stand in the red like any other companion.

It does make the Sellsword seem pretty pathetic, though(well, the Sellsword is pretty pathetic anyway). It also survives and does damage markedly better than ANY of the level 15 capped pets. It doesn't do as well as my dire wolf, but it's AE and doesn't have the annoying "knock targets out of your encounter attacks" ability.

Once we see the addition of the "coming soon" ability to upgrade the quality of pets, I think the wizard and cleric will be the go-to pets for most willing to do the upgrade.
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jiralya wrote: »

Any non augment companion is effectively useless in level 60 content.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    blaumker wrote: »
    I don't mind it too much, but it doesn't seem particularly impressive on the damage front. Also requires top grade tanking to keep it alive, since it'll mindlessly stand in the red like any other companion.

It does make the Sellsword seem pretty pathetic, though(well, the Sellsword is pretty pathetic anyway). It also survives and does damage markedly better than ANY of the level 15 capped pets. It doesn't do as well as my dire wolf, but it's AE and doesn't have the annoying "knock targets out of your encounter attacks" ability.

Once we see the addition of the "coming soon" ability to upgrade the quality of pets, I think the wizard and cleric will be the go-to pets for most willing to do the upgrade.

Unless the update with pet upgrades gives them IQs over 40 and calculates companion damage by the owner's level (instead of the companion), most companions will continue to be nothing but fashion accessories.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its a cool graphic, does a little bit of damage (like all dps pets with high quality runes and gear they can solo ONE tier 1 enemy, the stuff that dies in one hit etc). IMHO the wolf (the one that came with founders pack?) is one of the best -- it does some sort of knockback/stun that is effective even on some rather tough enemy, does about the same damage as any other but that interrupt can be awesome in some areas.
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Most of the pathing problems occur in the same area's, and yes, it's annoying when they go straight to the boss and just take it with a smile. Maybe they're accessories, but they're pretty useful snares nonetheless.

I had the cleric up until I hit level 60, and I'm not sure but it seems they tweaked her a little bit, she only heals when in battle. I believe she did that all the time until healed, but that could be me ;)