test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is there a point to disarming traps?

dndjessdndjess Member Posts: 47
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Traps seem to be totally irrelevant. They're usually easy to spot and avoid, and if you do happen to get hit by one, the damage is so low that it's completely irrelevant. As a Rogue, I naturally disarm every one I come across, thinking that there is some purpose to this. But there is no experience gain for disarming, no increased treasure for removing all the traps, and all you're really doing is wasting a little time to save yourself a miniscule amount of damage, at best.

So I see three possible solutions to give trap disarming some actual meaning:

1. Drastically increase trap damage and make them harder to see/avoid (I'm sure nobody will like this solution)
2. If they're not going to serve any real purpose, remove them from the game. (not a fan of this either)
3. Give Rogues some experience for disarming traps. (I like this solution, and it's pretty standard MMORPG stuff)
4. The other D&D game, Dungeons and Dragons Online, had a system where you gained bonuses at the end of the dungeon based on certain tasks - how much you killed, secret doors discovered, traps disarmed, etc. (this is my favorite solution)
Post edited by dndjess on

Comments

• Options
    flamexsoldierflamexsoldier Member Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    Disarming traps helps if you have a stupid companion who will just stand on them until they die while you're fighting something.
  • Options
    kleinhammerkleinhammer Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It'd be fun if in the future disarming traps gave parts/components, such as for making your own traps or other mechanical goodies. Surely there will be engineering eventually?
  • Options
    jlanderjlander Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In some of the single player dungeon quests the traps can be quite useful for killing the mobs. As a rogue I stand behind one and throw a dagger and they run at me hitting the trap along the way.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It'd be fun if in the future disarming traps gave parts/components, such as for making your own traps or other mechanical goodies. Surely there will be engineering eventually?

I got used to this from DDO, and was sad i didn't get anything from doing it here.
    1. Drastically increase trap damage and make them harder to see/avoid (I'm sure nobody will like this solution)

There were some traps in DDO that absolutely DESTROYED me (when i played classes that had trouble with them. It sucked if you couldn't get a good rogue, or any one, but it did make you respect them, especially on hard or elite. Here? Pretty much will avoid them if i see them, but don't worry about them at all. It's more annoying that they make you stop, more than any damage they do. With how groups zerg through dungeons, it doesn't help trying to avoid them or draw monsters into them.

I love the idea of traps, but they seem to need to do something "more" with them here. I'd frankly love if they had random ones, or even more types like that were in Tomb of Horrors.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is one of my huge issues with the game tarps mean zero in Dungeon Delves peopel rush through them take the damage and then Rage at the DC, because they were too stupid to A: bring healing pots, B: let the TR or the guy with the thieves kit do his job and C; Not understand what a DC's job is (hint it isn't to give you "epik Healz") in the first place..

Traps should be random (as in never in the same place twice) and deadly with a greatly reduced chance of a NON-TR with a thieves kit seeing/disarming the traps.

It would give delves a whole new dynamic and make it feel much more like D&D.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    dndjessdndjess Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    This is one of my huge issues with the game tarps mean zero in Dungeon Delves peopel rush through them take the damage and then Rage at the DC, because they were too stupid to A: bring healing pots, B: let the TR or the guy with the thieves kit do his job and C; Not understand what a DC's job is (hint it isn't to give you "epik Healz") in the first place..

Traps should be random (as in never in the same place twice) and deadly with a greatly reduced chance of a NON-TR with a thieves kit seeing/disarming the traps.

I think traps in random spots would be cool, but it would be so difficult to implement. Traps were built into the dungeons, so they can't just be randomly placed. Plus random traps would end up with traps in some very strange places.
  • Options
    rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    I love traps, it make mobs faster to kill, well, since I'm a DC ... :D
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    dndjess wrote: »
    Traps seem to be totally irrelevant. They're usually easy to spot and avoid, and if you do happen to get hit by one, the damage is so low that it's completely irrelevant. As a Rogue, I naturally disarm every one I come across, thinking that there is some purpose to this. But there is no experience gain for disarming, no increased treasure for removing all the traps, and all you're really doing is wasting a little time to save yourself a miniscule amount of damage, at best.

So I see three possible solutions to give trap disarming some actual meaning:

2. If they're not going to serve any real purpose, remove them from the game. (not a fan of this either)
    3. Give Rogues some experience for disarming traps. (I like this solution, and it's pretty standard MMORPG stuff)
    4. The other D&D game, Dungeons and Dragons Online, had a system where you gained bonuses at the end of the dungeon based on certain tasks - how much you killed, secret doors discovered, traps disarmed, etc. (this is my favorite solution)

Completely agree with both of these posts, and vote for Solution #4 from the OP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]