test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skirmishes, huh, yeah! What are they good for?

zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Absolutely nothing!

Seriously though, these things need another design pass, and badly. Pretty much any of the skirmishes past the 30s are a big, fat waste of time.

Loot/gold rewards? Not worth it, you'll likely spend more in injury kits doing them and MAYBE you'll get one blue drop if they decided to put a large chest in there somewhere.

XP rewards? Not worth it, you'll get FAR more doing quests.

Daily rewards? Not worth it, and having to do the same skirmish 3-4 times just to credit a single daily means if you're out questing while waiting for the skirmish queues you'll probably outlevel the queue for it before you finish the daily...

Fun? Well they actually can be fun, when you end up with a group that can actually complete them. But good luck with that.
Don't Panic.
airplane-2-o.gif
Okay, Panic.
Post edited by zoiks100 on

Comments

• looking4boobslooking4boobs Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zoiks100 wrote: »
    Fun? Well they actually can be fun, when you end up with a group that can actually complete them. But good luck with that.
    you must of had a serious run of bad luck with the groups you've been in. i haven't been in a skirmish yet that couldn't be completed. and i think i've had to use 2 injury kits max so far, and that was my own fault for rushing in and getting everything to attack me
  • macerukmaceruk Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I play a DC and I have not played a skirmish i could not heal the group up on, currently on fight pit all wins no wipes. I like them, I thnk they could do with an increase in the xp and maybe a better reward but there still fun imo.
  • nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You could play it for fun, ya know.
  • th0rfinnth0rfinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Why would I "amass riches" killing trash when I can amass my own riches collecting "Artifacts" (Dungeons). Skirmish is a huge waste of time it needs to be reworked to be more rewarding perhaps buffin the bosses AND make them drop EPICS and a final Chess where you get like 2 Gold and not a messly 50 Silver seriously that ain't enough to buy 2 injury kits.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You could play it for fun, ya know.

Get out. This in an MMO. No one plays if for fun...we MUST have rewards. We MUST get that food pellet. We MUST *triggers electro shock collar*....rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • pednickpednick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At least give more AD, he's right it seems like a waste of time provided the AD it gives.
    Be a Leet D00D, can't think of something smart? Always blame the economy.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like them other than the last two. The one in Hotenow, Battle for the Bridge, was not enjoyable for me. And the last one, Aberrant Assault, is just tedious. But maybe that's because I've done it 12+ times. It's almost more half a dungeon delve than it is a skirmish. Most others I found fun and didn't have a problem doing 2-3 times. I really prefer the arena type ones as I think those are more fun.
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Skirmishes are just a lot of fun. I love doing them! I do wish the Daily and the out-leveling was fixed. There are a couple I never even got the chance to do:(.
  • pnellesenpnellesen Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zoiks100 wrote: »
    Daily rewards? Not worth it, and having to do the same skirmish 3-4 times just to credit a single daily means if you're out questing while waiting for the skirmish queues you'll probably outlevel the queue for it before you finish the daily...

This is my only real complaint about the Daily Skirmish. I understand skirmishes are a lot shorter/quicker than Dungeons, but I think they should make it be one completion rather than 3 for the Daily. Otherwise, I actually like them.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    They disabled the daily skirmish quest at 60. Boo!!!
  • zoiks100zoiks100 Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I did say past the 30s, although my complaints about loot and xp stand for any of them.

And it's not about just difficulty, obviously not all of them are difficult even past the 30s, though I will say that Garrundar the Vile, Gatecrashers, Battle for the Bridge, Aberrant Assault, and that last boss in Storming the Keep are all way overtuned. (Note the last one is bad because he's just got WAY too many hps, I'm guessing a data entry typo or something.)

The problem is the combination. Even the easy ones aren't worth doing more than once, simply because the rewards blow. I can't really argue with you about whether or not the amount of fun makes them worthwhile to do, because fun is completely subjective.

And hopefully they aren't designing content with the philosophy that as long as it's fun then everything else about it can suck.
    Don't Panic.
    airplane-2-o.gif
    Okay, Panic.
  • bookwyrmmbookwyrmm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Get out. This in an MMO. No one plays if for fun...we MUST have rewards. We MUST get that food pellet. We MUST *triggers electro shock collar*....rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

This is so sig-worthy.

On the OP's note, I have to say that I do feel the same - not so much that the reward is too low, but that there is very little incentive to complete it three times! The same skirmish done over and over is not my idea of fun, but I have done a few just to keep the daily rewards up, which is detracting from my enjoyment of that facet of the game.
    "Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien
  • clansman2013clansman2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just wish we could run them all at 60, some of the lower level ones are a lot of fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just wish we could run them all at 60, some of the lower level ones are a lot of fun.

Yeah really not sure why there aren't epic version of them available. I hope that's on the "Coming Soon" list.
  • clortbagsclortbags Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yup I quite enjoyed the skirmishes it's a shame that they cease to exist once you hit level 60.
  • bladefist1bladefist1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It'll take about 3 years to beat that Blackdagger guy
  • rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    my experience, I slip pass 2 Dungeon at it current level, Maddragon and Gray Wolf Den, I finish both way later on, when I can no longer queue for it, Skirmish? well not even one I miss and never undone, it is alot more easier and faster. what it purpose? well at first I thought it was kind of different way to play team-dungeon, like defending from all monster arrive, but suddenly it change to attack mode, like normal dungeon, and suddenly at 40 some, it back to defending mode. well, I rather put it in defending mode so it can have different feel of team battle.
  • clansman2013clansman2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bladefist1 wrote: »

lol yes, his HP's are a little ridiculous :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • clortbagsclortbags Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bladefist1 wrote: »

But worth it if he dropped a few gold coins...
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally I love the skirmishes, and I usually hate that type of game play, but I do agree with pnellesen they daily needs to be one not three.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013

I agree... we need epic skirmish.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I enjoy them. They are just rehashed alerts from CO and STO. The problem is in those other games alerts are open to anyone of any level and in CO you can join them at any time. Although the ones you can join at any time are randomized.

Shame they didnt do that here. They would be much more fun if you always had the option to drop in and do your favorite one, when you wanted. Level locking them and to such narrow level ranges just restricts folks from potetial content. No one should feel like they missed out on fun stuff to do. Simply because they played the game and leveled to much.
  • psiwuffpsiwuff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally I feel similar. Skirmishes feel like micro-dungeons, only easier and without any meaningful reward. They generally are kind of annoying it feels, and some (the blackdagger one) just have an obnoxiously boring and tedious final boss encounter on top of it all.
    So yeah, definitely not worth it, needs a design pass to figure out what the intended use for them is.
  • shad99shad99 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I support epic skirmishes, with saw a small chance to drop purple items and a good number of blue drops as well as some real gold at the end (2 gold coins for instance would be nice). Some may run them for fun, but without an incentive most players probably would not. In fact purple jewelry is a solid reasons to run these, compared to armor and weapons which seem more common in dungeons.

Also the level range as you level needs to be widened (the range is much to short right now) and the difficulty of some (like the bridge battle) needs tweaked. I'd bet a team of random lvl 60's who have never played together and could be any combination of classes is likely to wipe time after time on the bridge, let alone the level range given for it.