test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New rig question (Experts please help)

apexgoulishapexgoulish Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm fairly competent with computers as far as troubleshooting, but I don't stay up to date with all the new data when it comes to versions and numbers. I really am a firm believer in HP computers so I wanted to buy a cheap rig, this one

http://www.amazon.com/HP-P6-2390-Pavilion-Desktop/dp/B009X8EB82/ref=sr_1_13?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1369821170&sr=1-13&keywords=hp

then throw my own GFX card and possibly power supply if needed into it. Ive done this myself on more than a few occasions to my liking. I'm just wondering if I will face any conflicts doing something like this. I have a budget around 500-800, but the lower end would be optimal. Can anybody help me out with this, and do you think I'm going in the right direction? I really don't trust companies like ibuypower ect... I feel like if I have a problem, I'm going to jump though hoops to get some resolution.

If you didn't guess the goal is to play this game fairly optimal.
Post edited by apexgoulish on

Comments

• stealthymcthiefstealthymcthief Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you're competent with computers build your own and stay far, far away from windows 8. Also with Cryptic games I'd aim a little higher. at least if you want to run stuff on full because the engine is fairly demanding.
  • cynicalazamacynicalazama Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    Blargh, i hate HP with a passion but each to their own :P

For the budget though you could probably do so much better buying a bundle and putting it together yourself? I presume you are from the states, if you were UK based i would suggest OCUK who imo are brilliant.

Isnt newegg a fairly cheap equivalent?

Edit: just wanted to add, avoid Windows 8 as if it were herpes.
  • traciatim1traciatim1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    I agree with stealthymcthief, if you are competent then you probably want to build your own. Toms Hardware has a pretty good line of articles on budget machines like http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pc-gaming-overclock-build-a-pc,3443.html and http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-gaming-do-it-yourself-computer,3364.html . . . That give you some idea of the gear you should be looking at if you are building a budget rig, and at least a base to work with.

Though it will probably work with the HP, manufacturers generally have to pick really cheap gear to go inside really cheap computers so you can never really tell what you are getting.
  • apexgoulishapexgoulish Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The thing I wanted to avoid with building my own is not having a warranty. Thanks for the input guys.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Checkout newegg, new customers 15% off desktop rig* USE CODE PCREFRESH13, motherboards with free 8 gig memory, cpu/mobo combo's. Buy your self a decent case and psu (worth the money, min 600watt corsair bronze), decent case you will have it for ever, i love my silverstone raven has seen me through 2 upgrades, try squeeze and ssd in, for OS launch and neverwinter you wont be sorry.
  • yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Build your own, it is cheaper, faster and more reliable.

How to do it 3 part video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok

Free youself of that cheap and very bad HP/Dell ****, get a decent case with good ventilation and look at Tom's Hardware for reviews of latest parts.

BTW the parts you order are under warranty so you can send back and get a replacement if something bad happens.
  • apexgoulishapexgoulish Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thanks ryvvik. I might could use that code if I decide to go that route. I am considering it, but it seems like if I just need to upgrade a GFX card it will end up being cheaper and less hassle. Buying windows alone is going to run me over 100 dollars. They have rigs with windows in them for like 400 dollars so that 300 dollars gets me free shipping, 8gb ddr3 ram, a processor, and everything else... Ethernet cards ect.

Meh, I'm gonna just break down and build my own. The allure of doing it has got me. Thx everybody.
  • ekojinekojin Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Took me 5 minutes to find this on New Egg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883256201

1. It's HP like you like 2. It's Less than 100 bucks more than what you were looking at 3. It already has a video card 4. It is built for gaming

If you don't want to build one, get a pre-built budget rig from here. You can get a warranty on some, and they are already pre-built for gaming.

Keep in mind the Ram, Processor, and Vid Card and you're golden.
  • forumname012forumname012 Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    You wouldn't be able to upgrade to much of a graphics card with that CPU in. You still get a warranty when you build you own, and is sometimes longer (for example, many disk drives come with 3 years). Windows 8 now comes with a system builder licence too, allowing you to change components that were disallowed by the windows 7 eom licence.
  • yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Meh, I'm gonna just break down and build my own. The allure of doing it has got me. Thx everybody.

Its a fun thing to do and quite simple really, enjoy!
    edited May 2013
    The thing I wanted to avoid with building my own is not having a warranty. Thanks for the input guys.

What manufacturer sells their gear without a warranty?
  • thebrimanthebriman Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can tell you from experience that HP integrated graphics are absolute garbage for gaming. If you don't feel like building your own, make sure whatever rig you get has a decent graphics card.
  • narathkornarathkor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is your big concern, you will not be able to upgrade your graphics card to a good one without enough power. Most package computers have a minimum power supply to run the system, they are put together very cheap. When dealing with HP, Dell etc those computers tend to run like 270-350w power supplies that do not carry enough AMPS on rail to run a good card. Now you can probably throw the good card in, and it will work, then you will call me dumb. However here is what will happen, a couple of months from now your card will die because of not having enough power, then you are going to be crying about spending $300+ for a new card.
    Please check out my foundry quests!
    The Sins of the Father NW-DLN6BC8NX
    A Name For Yourself NW-DRBWMCFL4
    Click Here To Visit The Official Thread
  • nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thebriman wrote: »
    I can tell you from experience that HP integrated graphics are absolute garbage for gaming. If you don't feel like building your own, make sure whatever rig you get has a decent graphics card.

You mean Intel integrated graphics I assume.

OP-as others have said, if you can adda video card you can build a whole machine. And the CPU in the machine you linked is garbage.
    edited May 2013

OP-as others have said, if you can adda video card you can build a whole machine. And the CPU in the machine you linked is garbage.

I wouldn't call it garbage, it's fine for a budget rig, though for Neverwinter a better choice is probably an AMD 965BE, AMD FX-4300, Intel i3-3210 . . . or something along that line, but these area already in the 90-120 range instead of 70... which will eat in to video budget so it's a tough call depending on the other tasks the machine will be doing.
  • thebrimanthebriman Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Yeah, I meant the Intel integrated graphics which are used on HP rigs. Sorry for any confusion.
  • raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited May 2013

This should never be a concern, when it comes to building a computer.

If you use quality parts, then the warranties on those individual parts tend to be MUCH better then per-built warranties, as well as the customer service.

Corsair PSU's, for example, come with a 7 year warranty. Another example would be many memory manufactures offer lifetime warranties. You would never get those kinds of warranties on a HP!