test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

need some help for my map

holthar1stholthar1st Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
I am new to the Foundry so please be patient...

I have this idea for a quest but I need a map that is in a forest type environment. If I pick one thats already done and build on that...can I remove / rearrange things to my liking, add landscape features like terraced / escarpments etc, etc, etc...

any help would be greatly appreciated
thank you
Post edited by holthar1st on

Comments

• crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can add but not take away or move existing stuff.
  • holthar1stholthar1st Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So start from scratch, a clean slate and design everything my self or no?

Looks like I'll be doing a lot of youtube hunting / watching
  • crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, there are clusters you can use to add trees and such in the special tab and then go arrange that as you wish.
  • holthar1stholthar1st Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    yea, that may be over my head right now. I didnt even see any grasses...must have done something wrong. Going to try and figure this out, my OCD is lazer locked now Lol
  • tonylanglettonylanglet Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is a way to populate the map with "preset" items that matches the environment atleast in the indoor rooms. Right click on the room object and click Populate map and Voila.
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, populate is only for indoor maps.
  • rothegarrothegar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A bit of info that might help:

As crok2 mentionened there are clusters you can place instead of individual tree etc. Click on the clusters tab and pay attention to the area description (eg. for grass or trees) Now on you top left, in the main screen, there are two buttons for detal 1 and detail 2. Clicking the left will show all objects on the map and the second one shows you all clusters and clusters of encounters. So when moving in a cluster of trees it can be useful to set it to detail 1 as you'll get a glimpse of how the cluster is spread on the map before it automaticly shifts to detail 2 when dragging it to your map.

After placing your forest or grass go to detail 1 again and you can now move every object within the cluster as you see fit AND afterwards move the whole cluster as one, in deatil 2, while it remembers your positioning of each object within the cluster - this is pretty convenient so we generally would like more clusters to work with (or even better create our own clusters) :)

So building the rough layout for your forest with trees, grass, and a path (path is a cluster too) is pretty fast, like 4 or 5 clicks - to make it look good and bring it to life takes a lot of work though.

Here are some of the things you might want to add depending on the forest you're trying to build:
    Add ambient forest sounds.
    Add music.
    General rearrangement of the cluster objects.
    Clear the path of grass and trees -move them to the edge of the path to enhance it.
    Add lighting (torches, campfires etc.) Especially important in a dark setting.
    Add or move grass, plants etc around ruins or special objects like large stones or signs.
    Some animals?
    Encounters and npc's?
    Some water effects if it fits your forest.

Want a burning forest?
    Add clusters of broken tress
    Add clusters of flames
    Add details (see above)

These are just some suggestions, of course, hope it can be of use.
    The Village:
    ID: NW-DC99JCLA2

A simple quest to change the fate of a small village.
    A complex outdoor map that changes physically with your actions.
  • lovepeaslovepeas Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Although I am certainly no expert, feel free to send me a message in the game if you have any questions. I will answer what I can. Good luck!
    The Delusions Quartet
    Act 1: Nightmare on Market Street
    Act 2: My Best Friend's Evil Wedding