test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Helping other players!

reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
i find this to be a rarity in MMO culture, i grew up on MUD's(Multi user dimensions/dungeons) and there was always people willing to help you regardless of guild, which i quite liked, it seems that the invention of graphical games somewhere this went out the window.

i have seen many players that just ignore someone who is clearly out of their league, i myself put my own life on the line to help strangers, because its the right thing to do, and if someone needs to know how to do something if i know how i will help them.

It also needs to be said if someone helps you, be thankful, they didn't have to do it, even if its in another language, i think most of us know what thanks is in most languages, or even do something nice in return.

I was on a cleric character of mine i had been teaming up and suddenly got d/c from nw, i was put on a different instance to my team mate, i was swamped so i ran, i was chased and had to stand and fight, thankfully someone saw that i was in trouble and decided to give me a hand.

In return i saw that player had low health in a safe area so i healed them, and they said thanks in their language.

its experiences like that, that make you enjoy the game more.
Actual Join date: Dec 2007
Post edited by reilz1981 on

Comments

• Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    On the later maps if I see someone fighting a mob I will stop to help them, no point in seeing some one get mauled.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mkesdmkesd Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's the right thing to do. :D
  • Options
    agent2090agent2090 Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    On the later maps if I see someone fighting a mob I will stop to help them, no point in seeing some one get mauled.

Ah...so you're one of the people that start attacking my pulls, stealing my exp.
  • Options
    demattodematto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ^_^
    I approve of this thread.
  • Options
    mistriosumistriosu Member Posts: 279 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I concur. If I"m running about the open world getting ****-kicked, nobody steps in. In fact a couple people have stopped to /laugh at me.

Unlike Rift, where some random was giving away money to newbies to buy their first mounts.
  • Options
    kristingravekristingrave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Being a bored level 60, I tend to help a lot when I see people posting in zone chats that they need help in this and that.
    It always makes me giggle when new players who are just starting out are way too amazed at your ability to one shot level 20-30 mobs, always makes me smile.
    Yesterday helped a level 27 with a solo instance, they thought I was the coolest person ever, was worth it. :'D
    GasMaskSmall-1.png
    Lift me up..
    Panda@kristingrave - CW - Dragon
    Death@healxyou - DC - Dragon
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    agent2090 wrote: »
    Ah...so you're one of the people that start attacking my pulls, stealing my exp.

I always wondered how the XP split when someone helped out. Does everyone get what they would if they killed a mob alone? Regardless, the mob XP is fairly small anyway you'll get a lot more just finishing your quests.

However what is annoying is when you're obviously trying to interact with an object and you have to kill the mobs first because you can't interact with aggro. However someone runs right up and takes the object (or opens the skill node) and then runs off. Thanks!
  • Options
    evilkinglarryevilkinglarry Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    rapticor wrote: »
    However what is annoying is when you're obviously trying to interact with an object and you have to kill the mobs first because you can't interact with aggro. However someone runs right up and takes the object (or opens the skill node) and then runs off. Thanks!

There is a special place in Hell for people like that.
  • Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Feel free to join and share your information in the NWO-Newbies channel from my guide.
  • Options
    itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

I imagine a chest, that holds the unique item they need 100%, and everytime they attempt to open it a little devil opens it first so they have to wait 5 seconds, then they try again, but yet another devil appears :o for eternity muhhaahahhahaaahahahaaa
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • Options
    rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    I'm a DC so usually I cast Healing Word on passing by player if I see their HP is not max. or put Astral Seal on mobs he is currently attacking, not much on helping in attack since I don't know much about exp spread between players who attacking a monster in NW
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We do have it here...there are just so many **** people playing, the unkind sorta stick out more, STO was worse actually when it launched, but the community now is pretty awesome to new players (Not on Zone chat no one is nice on Zone chat) I really believe in six months the community will pull itself together and we will start seeing more folks helping out each other, at least I hope so.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    demattodematto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think I've EVER been inside 40 yards of a cleric and had him NOT throw a Healing Word at my face.

The random acts of kindness are there.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I dont use healing word, instead at my level i throw a forgemaster/sunburst/bastion of health and a devine armor on people going
    1vs1 on a mob! And then i run off pretty sure they make it out alive do...
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dematto wrote: »
    I don't think I've EVER been inside 40 yards of a cleric and had him NOT throw a Healing Word at my face.

The random acts of kindness are there.

yeah things like that give me hope..our community is there, once the rabble has move on to the next MMO it will be more noticeable.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    joergmosthafjoergmosthaf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Depends on the char I'm on with - on my GF or TR I usually charge right in when I see someone trying to flee from a gaggle of bad guys or fighting with lots of mobs while low on health.
    On my DC I throw a Healing Word and a Astral Seal, on my CW I take out some of the Archer mobs or "Force Choke" a big ugly to take the pressure of a bit :)
    I think the XP loss from helping is minimal if at all. Hmm, gotta do some tests when I get online with a friend :)
    "I thought I knowed what I know, ye know? But then I find that I know not what I thought I knowed."
    - Bruenor Battlehammer
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If ure killing mobs for xp, ure doing it wrong imo :)
    i tried getting 3 bars to lvlup from mobs took me like 25 min ore so, then i did one quest and i had 4 bars instantly :o
    i think some balance on this issue is in orders (just like making the skirmishes and bosses higher lvl?)
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    some really positive replies great to see :)
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    coggagecoggage Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's nice to help, but some people don't like it for some reason. Anyway, it's not as if the death mechanics in this game are harsh... in fact they're ludicrously easy-going.
  • Options
    pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Populated with the people who talk in theaters.
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • Options
    arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    reilz1981 wrote: »
    i myself put my own life on the line to help strangers, because its the right thing to do

Nah, it's not the right thing to do. If someone accidentally pulled too many packs of mobs and helping them will potentially kill me in the process, I let them be. I have yet to "help" a single person in over a decade of playing MMORPGs who thanked me for helping.

As a matter a fact, half the people I "help" will end up RUNNING AWAY once they notice that the mobs aren't aggroing them anymore and running after me instead! The other half don't even say thanks, or jump in the air for joy. They just loot their items and run off as if I wasn't even there.

So no. I don't bother anymore. If I notice a situation where I could easily help someone with a 100% guarantied success, I'll do it. But when it looks too risky, then you're just gonna have to die and run back. Besides, it's not like others help me either. Maybe 1 out of 100 people who could of helped me would also just walk by and let me die.

The only people who help are guildies and friends. That's it. So if I solo, then I take in consideration that I'm alone and on my own. Whoever I cross is just there minding their own business and I can never rely on them whatsoever because too many times have these "strangers" screwed me over or couldn't even take 2 seconds to write "Thanks" after saving them.