test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Beta Ending

niximusniximus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Here is a question.... After the beta testing do all the characters that we have leveled get dumped and we have to start the process again or do we get to keep them and build on them.. Reason being if we spent money on buying a founders kit and buying zen for these guys I would hate to think that it was a waste of time... Anyone help me out please...
Post edited by niximus on

Comments

• Options
    suroh66suroh66 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    niximus wrote: »
    Here is a question.... After the beta testing do all the characters that we have leveled get dumped and we have to start the process again or do we get to keep them and build on them.. Reason being if we spent money on buying a founders kit and buying zen for these guys I would hate to think that it was a waste of time... Anyone help me out please...
    This question has been answered a million times over in every mmo for the last ten years. Closed betas get wiped
    Open betas ( this is an open beta ) Have never and will never receive a wipe. So no your characters will not get " duped " as you say......
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No there will be no wipe happening in the future. To quote PWE "The window for wipes has passed."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iamphausiamphaus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The beta has ended, the game has imploded, game over.
    Common sense is hard to come by around here it seems..
  • Options
    landale3landale3 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    suroh66 wrote: »
    This question has been answered a million times over in every mmo for the last ten years. Closed betas get wiped
    Open betas ( this is an open beta ) Have never and will never receive a wipe. So no your characters will not get " duped " as you say......

Actually there have been several open betas that have been wiped in the past 10 years. WoW, EQ2, Age of Conan, SW:TOR, just to name a few (WoW I know for sure did, the rest I didn't play, but received info from different sources). Another game I'm beta testing is also going to wipe all beta progress upon release, as far as they've stated.

That said, just because there's precedent for doing so doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it, especially when they let people use real money to influence the beta. Wiping and not wiping both have their benefits and drawbacks. At this point, they appear to have chosen to not wipe, and will do damage control as best they can.

Still, companies can change their minds. It's best to not rely on anything too much until an official release has been reached.
  • Options
    f3ral0nef3ral0ne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
    edited May 2013
    woops wrong post
  • Options
    suroh66suroh66 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    EH WRONG but what ever helps you sleep at night sure :).
  • Options
    zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

This is an incorrect statement.
    In general F2P games have a tendency to not wipe Open Beta.
    Subscription-based games have a tendency to wipe Open Beta.
    Neither is etched in stone.

I have personally Alpha & Closed/Open Beta tested more games in the last ten years that DID wipe Open Beta than those that did not wipe it.
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • Options
    messoris123messoris123 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been in dozens of MMO betas over the last decade (since 2000) and this is the first time I encounter MMO that doesn't wipe in the launch... I can only talk for myself but I'm **** happy to save that 260$ that I was about to spend on the founders packs (won't be purchasing em as there's no beta when game goes live)...

Also, not gonna be doing the zen purchases I was planning as I won't be playing the game much more after I found out that this is already "live" even when it was supposed to be beta.

Good business model they have I must say...
  • Options
    pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Star Trek online, made by Cryptic, wiped after open beta and everyone started from fresh in the head start or the launch a week later. They even had a massive Borg invasion on starbases that was essentially unbeatable. After that a full server wipe was carried out.

I still have screenshots from the event.

But don't let facts get in the way of anecdotes to suit your position eh?
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Naming the current state of the game as "Open Beta" gives the Devs the opportunity to sell more Founders Packs and to be able to call "oppsie" and/or make sudden/drastic changes as needed. It's just semantics. Back in "the day", this would be a gold release and folks would be hollering about the state of the game/ability of others to be able to still buy packs. But, as others have pointed out, this is business as usual in the F2P world of MMO's.
  • Options
    gaerolthgaerolth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    landale3 wrote: »
    Actually there have been several open betas that have been wiped in the past 10 years. WoW, EQ2, Age of Conan, SW:TOR, just to name a few (WoW I know for sure did, the rest I didn't play, but received info from different sources). Another game I'm beta testing is also going to wipe all beta progress upon release, as far as they've stated.

That said, just because there's precedent for doing so doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it, especially when they let people use real money to influence the beta. Wiping and not wiping both have their benefits and drawbacks. At this point, they appear to have chosen to not wipe, and will do damage control as best they can.

Still, companies can change their minds. It's best to not rely on anything too much until an official release has been reached.

Uh. EQ2, AOC, and SWTOR did NOT wipe during open beta.
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The difference being, games that plan to wipe their open betas make it known in advance. Games that don't do the same. I have played both varieties, and knew going in that it was, or wasn't going to happen.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    naeron1966naeron1966 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2013

World of Tanks wiped at the end of Open Beta. LoTRO wiped at the end of Open Beta.

The difference is that games that accept payments do not wipe when they end open beta.
  • Options
    theamorabunnytheamorabunny Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    mystagogue wrote: »
    Naming the current state of the game as "Open Beta" gives the Devs the opportunity to sell more Founders Packs and to be able to call "oppsie" and/or make sudden/drastic changes as needed. It's just semantics. Back in "the day", this would be a gold release and folks would be hollering about the state of the game/ability of others to be able to still buy packs. But, as others have pointed out, this is business as usual in the F2P world of MMO's.
    I keep seeing these kinds of ignorant comments pop up all over the forum. For example, Aion Online went open beta and the game wasn't F2P at the beginning.
  • Options
    gullyvuhrgullyvuhr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There have been many games who wiped in what they called "open beta" -- the problem is that "beta" (either open or closed) used to actually mean something in terms of the development cycle of a game. Now it's just an overblown "try our game out" window where they can blame any issues on having called it a beta.
  • Options
    voqarvoqar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    niximus wrote: »

In a real beta your characters get deleted. They could also have done like ANet and let you buy zen during open beta to be reset upon release (so if you bought $20 worth of zen in beta it would be there for you at official release).

However, the concept of "open beta" is a joke for this game. The game is already live. When you don't wipe characters and do have a live cash shop, your game is live and "open beta" is just an excuse for the state of the game, the weekly exploits, etc - all of which SHOULD have been nonissues if it was a real beta and characters got wiped.

They also could have better scaled the game, foundry, etc, so that players weren't lvl 60 and pounding endgame days after availability. The beta weekend thing doesn't do a good job of overall testing and since "open beta" in this game really isn't beta at all, things like players getting to 60 almost instantly were never found til it was too late.
  • Options
    mystagoguemystagogue Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I keep seeing these kinds of ignorant comments pop up all over the forum. For example, Aion Online went open beta and the game wasn't F2P at the beginning.

My "ignorance" + your lack of reading comprehension leads to laughs for all. Have a nice day.