test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Optimizing the rogue

xzaduratexzadurate Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Thieves' Den
Race - Halfling
stats - 18 dex / 18 cha / 12 str

the idea of this build is to max out Dexterity and charisma for ( Deflect / Crit / Combat Advantage )

with this at level 60 without any deflection stats on gear i have 32% deflection with the +3% in the heroic feats.

with enhancements i focus on each piece i can ( deflection / power / crit )

mitigating 50% consistently of the damage you take not considering how much armor you have because armor gets mitigated before deflection so - if i took 1k damage and had 20% damage mitigation from armor i would only take 800 damage = 50% from deflection = 400 damage

very simple to understand but, not many if not any rogues consider taking this as a main stat because they are all about 1 hiting enemy's in pvp - with this build it takes twice if not more time to take me out whilst i just chew them up because they have not prioritized deflection = giving me the upper hand in almost every encounter i come across

to me in pvp and pve this was my primary stat just as important as power and crit is to a rogue.

e.g - 1v1'ing another rogue that has prioritized power crit witch nearly every rogue dose! i can easily out damage him simply because of this mechanic reducing every kind of damage they can throw at me by 50% consistently is just too good to pass up.

the damage i do is still considered fairly high. obviously not the best damage because im prioritizing stats differently.

Prioritizing gear like this would benefit this build even more

T2 SINISTER SHADE'S SET

2pc - +450 Crit
4pc - When you critical strike a foe you have combat advantage on you have a 15% chance to gain 1,013 recovery for 6 secs.

Helmet - Drops in Spellplague Caverns
279 Power
279 Crit
126 Recovery
143 Defense
126 Deflection
__ Utility Socket

Armor - Drops in Temple of The Spider
8AC
434 Power
434 Crit
196 Recovery
215 Defense
196 Deflection
__ Defense Socket
__ Armor Enchant Socket

Arms - Drops in Caverns of Karrundax
279 Power
279 Crit
126 Recovery
143 Defense
126 Deflection
__ Utility Socket

Boots - Drops in The Frozen Heart
279 Power
279 Crit
126 Recovery
143 Defense
126 Deflection
__ Utility Socket

post any thoughts you have on this build

cheers
Post edited by xzadurate on

Comments

• yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Looks interesting, especially with the feat that adds 20% extra damage when you have Combat Advantage.

I'm still clueless about gear though, but I noticed you left armor penetration completely out, in favor of power? I haven't done the math properly, but it feels like ap scales better.
  • churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    iirc, that feat says "Adds 20% to the bonus of combat advantage" in a vague enough way to make me think it doesn't add 20% damage when you have CA, but makes CA 20% more potent.
  • creolegamercreolegamer Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    forgive me if i'm wrong but isnt the damage mitigated through a successful deflection on a rogue only 25% and not 50% as you stated....or was this value tested to be false?? The 25% i noticed on my character is what deterred me from making deflection my 3rd priority stat (after armor pen, and crit)
  • xzaduratexzadurate Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well armor penetration is a good and strong stat to look into, but in instances.. all classes have alot of debuffs. to shread the armor of any enemy almost if not to -% armor so practically hitting true damage, so there for. armor penetration wasnt on my list, of a main stat
  • crysara84crysara84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    forgive me if i'm wrong but isnt the damage mitigated through a successful deflection on a rogue only 25% and not 50% as you stated....or was this value tested to be false?? The 25% i noticed on my character is what deterred me from making deflection my 3rd priority stat (after armor pen, and crit)

Actually the description of "Deflection Severity" is misleading. It does not tell you how much you mititgate, it tells how much damage is left. so a rogue deflects 75% of incoming damage.

Let's say you have 20% damage resistance through defense and get hit with 1000. You first reduce this damage to 800 (20% resistance) and then either you deflect it and get only 200 damage (75% reduction) or you get the full 800 damage.

So with 50% Deflection a rogue would get an average of 0,5 * 0,75 = 37,5% additional damage reduction on top of defense.

Of course this is on average, and even with 50% Deflection you can be unlucky and not get any deflection procs in a row.
    So don't forget to also get at least some defense and hit points to not be one-shotted unluckily.
  • themasquerader29themasquerader29 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Almost all armor debuffs from spells/enchants can go to negative value. Armor penetration doesnt. It's a good thing because armor penetration gets calculated before debuffs. c:
    edited May 2013
    crysara84 wrote: »
    Actually the description of "Deflection Severity" is misleading. It does not tell you how much you mititgate, it tells how much damage is left. so a rogue deflects 75% of incoming damage.

Are you sure about this? It clearly states it as a % chance to avoid 25% damage, not to only take 25% of the damage.

It's still pretty powerful, but unless it's actually working as stated in the game, it doesn't seem to stack very well.
  • crysara84crysara84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes I'm sure. I wondered as well when someone told me about this issue and checked it in game.

Just get hit several times until you reduce a lot of damage.
    It's something like "You are hit for 250 (1200) damage.
    It is exactly 0,25 * (1 - DmgReduction) * TrueDmgInBrackets
    edited May 2013
    Ok, I'll give a shot. And I'll gave to find me some easier fights first ;)