test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Disappoints: No Bearded Dwarven Women

meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So in closed testing I had thought that the short, beardless, female NPCs were halflings. Dusty, for instance.

Now, in the Blackdagger zone, I have realized that THE DWARVEN WOMEN DON'T HAVE BEARDS!

This is the single most disappointing thing about Neverwinter so far.

Thoughts?
"Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
Post edited by meldroth on

Comments

• meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Beards! Beards for ye womenfolk!
    "Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
  • bardmedicine11bardmedicine11 Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think dwarven woman have beards in 4th edition D&D. I don't see any in the quick image scan I did.
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Beards for dwarf women is a Tolkien thing.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • iikkajarviiikkajarvi Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    I'm pretty sure it's referenced in Salvatore's books too, regarding Bruenor's people. At the very least, some considerable side-whiskers.
    Current Server: Mindflayer
    History Class in the Realms: "Elves did it better first. Also, magic was probably involved somehow and maybe gods. Or godly magic. Now go outside so the orcs and bandits have someone to menace."
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hear that Sarah Palin is anti-beard.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    iikkajarvi wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's referenced in Salvatore's books too, regarding Bruenor's people. At the very least, some considerable side-whiskers.

Yep Amber O'maul has quite the ZZ top beard
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    RA Salvatore's earliest FR stories came out in the late eighties/early nineties and were tied to earlier AD&D/AD&D 2nd ed. I'm guessing he kept the dwarven women in his stories bearded for the sake of continuity if they were mentioned in later novels. If I remember right female dwarves lost their beards in the 3E reboot (around 2000) so it's nothing to lie at the feet of this MMO. I'm not sure what to make of it. On a tabletop or novel maybe there is enough enough of a disconnect that it works because a reader/player is imagining it. In a persistent visual experience like an MMO if poorly rendered it would just look nasty. During character creation it would have been nice to have tried the option just to see if it might have worked.
  • breathabreatha Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    meldroth wrote: »
    So in closed testing I had thought that the short, beardless, female NPCs were halflings. Dusty, for instance.

Now, in the Blackdagger zone, I have realized that THE DWARVEN WOMEN DON'T HAVE BEARDS!

Thoughts?

"Not all Dwarven women have beards, ya ninny!!!", says Beartha with a derisive snort, "We got razors, ya know!!!!!!" She rolls her eyes and huffs in disbelief.
    -Breatha, the fat and sassy Dwarf
  • iikkajarviiikkajarvi Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    RA Salvatore's earliest FR stories came out in the late eighties/early nineties and were tied to earlier AD&D/AD&D 2nd ed. I'm guessing he kept the dwarven women in his stories bearded for the sake of continuity if they were mentioned in later novels. If I remember right female dwarves lost their beards in the 3E reboot (around 2000) so it's nothing to lie at the feet of this MMO. I'm not sure what to make of it. On a tabletop or novel maybe there is enough enough of a disconnect that it works because a reader/player is imagining it. In a persistent visual experience like an MMO if poorly rendered it would just look nasty. During character creation it would have been nice to have tried the option just to see if it might have worked.

True, a lot of Salvatore's early stuff was kind of different than commonly accepted 3e/3.5e rulesets because of when they were made and that they were among the first FR novels created. But continuity in a gameplay setting originally developed to house a group's potentially homegrown table top game is always difficult, and things get revised for better or ill.

Come to think of it, female dwarves in NWN 1 and 2 did not have beards, nor did they in other FR games that I have seen. So it stands to reason they should not have them given the standard set by other media.
    Current Server: Mindflayer
    History Class in the Realms: "Elves did it better first. Also, magic was probably involved somehow and maybe gods. Or godly magic. Now go outside so the orcs and bandits have someone to menace."
  • inspector135711inspector135711 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> edition ruined alot for the sake of broadening the audience. Good or bad? I say BAD.
    I have not been "more likely" to play since their changes for any reasons, and I feel market expansion has not really been more driven thanks to those integrity crushing changes. We'll never know, either way now, but its not that hard to imagine where we would be now if all the money grubbing over the past 20 years hadn't been the MAIN motivating factor behind the IP's direction.
    The onus is still upon WOTC, Cryptic and PWI, since they CAN and do drive the future of the IP at this point.

*Looks over at his red and yellow TSR dice bags.
    *Feels marginally better.
  • pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • incunabulumincunabulum Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    meldroth wrote: »

Thoughts?

Just one - this ain't Warhammer (or Discworld).
  • kaninchenkaninchen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    An option to have beards would be nice. There should always be an option to wear a beard, in any circumstance ever.
  • mirariftmirarift Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are many ways to have beards on female dwarves that can actually look cute, EQ2 managed to do it. I fondly remember my very first MMO toon ever was a bearded female dwarf in EQ. I was mildly disappointed that there was no option for beards on female dwarves in this game.