test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Seriously, I am wondering if the developers have played PvP in their own game?

gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I am really curious about this as the state of the PvP is rediculous. The CC is worse than Warhammer and SWTOR's beginning PvP. There has not been any developers giving any specifics of damage reduction or change of damage modifiers in PvP instances.

I play a CW as my main and leveling up another GWF, since the changes and these classes, again are a very good example of night and day when it comes to effectiveness. I can say that even with the hardest hitting weapon and the best gear at level 45, I still with encounters capped hit for a mere 300-500 damage per swipe where as my CW (when I was this level with blue gear equivalent was hitting for 800-1k on average or more ("With crit"), not to mention, I could repel and freeze ray almost every class (" Including CW "if I attacked them first."), to death.

First off, they really need to look at what every class is suppose to be doing and have a true trinity even in PvP (Rogues are strikers, so yes they are going to be doing **** tons of damage) as controllers and GWF do not have a "CLEAR" defined role in PvP or PvE, ("What the **** are GWF suppose to be in this game anyways?").

And we need some type of feed back on what's the plan on balancing this out and what is Cryptic's take on classes and what are they suppose to be doing or not doing in PvE and PvP.

"SOME CLARIFICATION" on this please, as we are still testing this frustrating, craptastic PvP for you.
I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
Post edited by gomok72 on

Comments

• Options
    digimerc83digimerc83 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the pvp in this game is beyond broken. Matchmaking? 80% chance to either get bots, or bugged player-characters who can't connect to the match. Once in a game, the 'domination' mode is just a ruse for death-match, because regardless of how well you support your team, how many objectives you capture, or team-mates you revive, the game only gives a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about who got the most kills. If the pvp model were closer to a death-match or FFA style, i could understand, but when the only available pvp-gameplay mode is supposedly 'capture the flag' its seems pretty much useless to do so, when the biggest spoils goes to 'he' whom gets the most kills.

might as well have arena pvp at this point, because capping points in the current pvp model is about as useful as putting <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> on a snake.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dmg scales waaay too hard at 60 for pvp, mitigation debuffs are one culprit, they're insanely strong.
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    GWF are off-tanks with decent AOE damage.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    wtfsoindiewtfsoindie Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    I think PvP is fun

- A CW player
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pinkfont wrote: »

GWF are off-tanks in a game where defense counts for very little with decent AOE damage, which again counts for very little, especially in PvP, since a CW has similar damage, range, a better escape ability, and oh yes, control spells...
  • Options
    pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    GWF are off-tanks in a game where defense counts for very little with decent AOE damage, which again counts for very little, especially in PvP, since a CW has similar damage, range, a better escape ability, and oh yes, control spells...

Okay. It's still their role, whether it's well-implemented or not.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Okay. It's still their role, whether it's well-implemented or not.

Given that the title of this thread is:

"Seriously, I am wondering if the developers have played PvP in their own game? "

then I assume the whole issue is that whatever role the GWF are supposed to be able to do, they aren't doing it as well as they should. Defensive stats in PvP are outclassed by offensive stats unless you happen to be a Guardian (and Block just get broken by the new "hotfix"), the CW/TR/DC dodge abilities are far better, single target GWF damage is pretty dire, etc.

Admittedly there PvP specialized "stun-lock" builds that can work well but most PvE CW/TR can do very well in PvP without having to use an optimized PvP-centric build.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Given that the title of this thread is:

"Seriously, I am wondering if the developers have played PvP in their own game? "

than I assume the whole issue is that whatever role the GWF are supposed to be able to do, they aren't doing it as well as they should. Defensive stats in PvP are outclassed by offensive stats unless you happen to be a Guardian (and Block just get broken by the new "hotfix"), the CW/TR/DC dodge abilities are far better, single target GWF damage is pretty dire, etc.

Admittedly there PvP specialized "stun-lock" builds that can work well but most PvE CW/TR can do very well in PvP without having to use an optimized PvP-centric build.

Reverting their Unstoppable to the old version would go a long way.

Gaining temporary health and then healing based on it makes way more sense than being nuked to 30% and getting a little dmg resist buff.
  • Options
    malganysxmalganysx Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013

so... in the range of 1 year... this game fail... becose the most used class in evry MMO of the world is the warrior... or at least a plate DPS.. so... wow good... we want to see real damage!! from a GWF more than a control class!!(CW) and little less than a rogue...
  • Options
    geflingeflin Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They need to do something drastic to the pvp in this game.

Introduce CC immunity timers
    Lower the length of CC
    Decrease damage by 50-60%
    Decrease healing by 30%
    Introduce new map types
    Give credit for healing (ffs really no credit for healing at all who designs this ****)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    geflin wrote: »
    They need to do something drastic to the pvp in this game.

Introduce CC immunity timers
    Lower the length of CC
    Decrease damage by 50-60%
    Decrease healing by 30%
    Introduce new map types
    Give credit for healing (ffs really no credit for healing at all who designs this ****)

"who designs this ****"??

Probably TR or CW players I am guessing......
  • Options
    ixiondlfixiondlf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wtf are u talking about. the top ranking people are always the ones who got it figueres out to capture the nodes and defend them? and if u would actually look closer to the tickers you would notice that keeping 2 nodes is more worth than constant bashing. i have seen teams 3v5 win, because they had a great tactic in disturbing the other team's node capturing, while they were only defending the middle node and thinking they would win. this is still domination and not deathmatch. a deathmatch mode to select would be nice, then all thoses bash addicted idiots would finally leave pvp.

and as for balancing. I see so many people whining around that GF has no chance. but these people are always the ones who simply can't play the class. The PvP in this game requires way more skill than in most other MMOs. and now, just because people suck at it more than they do in (for example) WoW, they start qqing.

ah well if u guys hate it so much, just leave!
  • Options
    cronis10000cronis10000 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gomok72 wrote: »
    I am really curious about this as the state of the PvP is rediculous. The CC is worse than Warhammer and SWTOR's beginning PvP. There has not been any developers giving any specifics of damage reduction or change of damage modifiers in PvP instances.

I play a CW as my main and leveling up another GWF, since the changes and these classes, again are a very good example of night and day when it comes to effectiveness. I can say that even with the hardest hitting weapon and the best gear at level 45, I still with encounters capped hit for a mere 300-500 damage per swipe where as my CW (when I was this level with blue gear equivalent was hitting for 800-1k on average or more ("With crit"), not to mention, I could repel and freeze ray almost every class (" Including CW "if I attacked them first."), to death.

First off, they really need to look at what every class is suppose to be doing and have a true trinity even in PvP (Rogues are strikers, so yes they are going to be doing **** tons of damage) as controllers and GWF do not have a "CLEAR" defined role in PvP or PvE, ("What the **** are GWF suppose to be in this game anyways?").

And we need some type of feed back on what's the plan on balancing this out and what is Cryptic's take on classes and what are they suppose to be doing or not doing in PvE and PvP.

"SOME CLARIFICATION" on this please, as we are still testing this frustrating, craptastic PvP for you.

I have never been a big fan of how Cryptic structures PVP. However the one aspect I do agree with is the focusing on objectives, not kills. Therefore all the pvp'ers who just want to kill people do horribly in pvp matches here. Those who focus on teamwork succeed.
  • Options
    vargoth77vargoth77 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I suppose you could say GWF are flower-pickers and tea-drinkers and it would be just as true, probably more so. GWF has <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> damage aoe or otherwise, even worse if you put your feats into tanky ones. That said, in the pen and paper DnD (which is the reason many people will play this game), the GWF (or fighters in general) are, by far, the highest damage dealers in the game. If you want to stand on the front line and beat down the enemies as quickly as possible then you played a fighter. The other classes could never compare to your damage or survivability as a fighter but were useful in other ways. And if you REALLY wanted to maximize damage then you would simply go all out strength and use a great weapon. This only makes sense. Just think about it for a moment: who is going to hit harder, the 250 lbs line-backer with a 6-foot long blade of steel or the skinny runt wearing leather trying to cut something with butter-knives?

The fact of the matter is I, and many others, expect this game, which claims to be based on DnD, to present a GWF class that at least remotely resembles what a GWF should be: the highest damaging monster in the game. If Neverwinter continues to allow rogues, by rights what should be the weakest class in the game, to walk around as if they would be able to do more than make a GWF chuckle then you will lose the interest of many who love DnD and/or have a brain in their heads; the situation as is just MAKES NO SENSE.
  • Options
    xratasxratas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    GWF is quite decent in PvP and can do top damage in dungeon runs where mobs can not be pushed off the map. And with same build.

No other class has GWF's mobility in PvP, and at level 60 damage is enough to kill any other class 1vs1, so it is enough. Rogues do more damage, but their nukes do so much overkill that it generally doesn't matter much.

I do agree that AoE damage should be higher total than single target damage in dungeons, but it is really hard to beat rogue's damage scores. Also melee damage should be higher than ranged damage, as being in melee generally involves more risky situations. All this IMO, of course.

The things GWF could use would be:
    -improved at will AoE damage
    -higher threat generation to actually be able to off-tank (how about huge damage buff and mark for reaping strike? And free respec if that happens... : )
    -most importantly, better reputation. GWF is far better than given credit for. Although it is not the autowin class, people want it to be..?
  • Options
    loonbeloonbe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In it's current state who wins in pvp depends entirely on who gets the drop and who has his daily ready.
    A gf or gwf that gets the jump on any class will stunlock that class to death. If a CW has the initiative the best possible outcome for you is to run away with less then 10% health. But more likely you will be cc'ed to death. If a rogue has his daily up you will die.

I suppose the only class I can't include is the cleric, not because they can't kill people but because you can always get away from them. But what a cleric brings is the ability to make a point his, as in, superior zone control. Especially when there's more then one playing together: clerics scale well with their teammates. If 2 clerics decide that they will keep 2 defended, you will not get em of it without having to resort to superior numbers. And in a way I feel that's fine.

I've long concluded that pvp in this game is not a balanced game where a showing of wits decides who wins. But it's amusing and fast paced.

As an afterthought, it feels like cw are the true kings of pvp. With their long range they almost always have the initiative. And even if they don't, if they get away (with their 3 dodges not that impossible) they turn the fight around once the cc chain starts.
  • Options
    isopointisopoint Member Posts: 193 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Get to 60 first before you comment. A GWF can stunlock you to death and can go immune.