test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Righteousness (Cleric self debuff)

ramzay81ramzay81 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
So for those that don't know, the cleric has a mechanic (yes, it's called a mechanic in game) that causes their heals to be 40% less effective on themselves.

Some will say good, especially in PvP.

But seriously, given the current game mechanics of bosses (meaning there are none aside from massive add spawns), this debuff is completely uncalled for (at least in PvE).

Having a cleric in the group guarantees everybody else but the cleric will have dramatically increased survivability. Not because of their heals or their buffs/debuffs, but because the cleric gets pretty much all the aggro. As such, the level of healing on others isn't of a concern to clerics in the know - the only concern a cleric has (once they understand the game mechanics, and the 40% debuff to themselves) is that to keep themselves alive, they need to focus on defense/regen/deflection.

So, on top of grabbing all the aggro as soon as a few adds spawn, the cleric is faced with reduced odds of survival due to this 40% debuff. Not only do the other members of the team get better heals, they get less aggro.

This game mechanic is not fun, not in the least. Whoever at Cryptic thought this to be a good idea needs to be fired. It's just adding insult to injury - my heals mean I get all the aggro and hence, the others on the team take less damage. Even if they do take a bit of damage, they get far better heals than I do.

Do rogues have a debuff causing them to do less damage? Do Wizards have a debuff preventing them from controlling things? Do guardian fighters have a debuff that causes their shield to block less? Why do clerics heal for less on themselves, especially since they're the ones who need it the most (given the massive aggro they get as soon as adds spawn).

This has no place in this game.
Post edited by ramzay81 on

Comments

• xunxanxunxan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree with everything you said; but we are a very small minority of the player base that is, frankly, perfectly happy with <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> over clerics at every chance they get, and sloughing off their aggro on them to boot.
    The main nerf bat crusade now under way is to nerf Astral Shield.
    Anyone wondering over the shortage of clerics available for dungeon runs need only look in the mirror to know the answer.
  • sanmercisanmerci Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's sad, isn't it? People whine and whine about how clerics are so rare, but only the people who've played clerics for any length of time understand the reason.

Yes, clerics are rare. Until righteousness or cleric aggro is addressed- either one, really- they're just going to get more rare.
  • gummibear2gummibear2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep healing aggro combines with righteousness is the SOLE reason i stopped playing cleric, beside those2 things i LOVE how the healing work, but with those 2 things it just end up frustrating
  • phigmnentphigmnent Member Posts: 30
    edited May 2013
    ramzay81 wrote: »
    So for those that don't know, the cleric has a mechanic (yes, it's called a mechanic in game) that causes their heals to be 40% less effective on themselves.

Some will say good, especially in PvP.

But seriously, given the current game mechanics of bosses (meaning there are none aside from massive add spawns), this debuff is completely uncalled for (at least in PvE).

Having a cleric in the group guarantees everybody else but the cleric will have dramatically increased survivability. Not because of their heals or their buffs/debuffs, but because the cleric gets pretty much all the aggro. As such, the level of healing on others isn't of a concern to clerics in the know - the only concern a cleric has (once they understand the game mechanics, and the 40% debuff to themselves) is that to keep themselves alive, they need to focus on defense/regen/deflection.

So, on top of grabbing all the aggro as soon as a few adds spawn, the cleric is faced with reduced odds of survival due to this 40% debuff. Not only do the other members of the team get better heals, they get less aggro.

This game mechanic is not fun, not in the least. Whoever at Cryptic thought this to be a good idea needs to be fired. It's just adding insult to injury - my heals mean I get all the aggro and hence, the others on the team take less damage. Even if they do take a bit of damage, they get far better heals than I do.

Do rogues have a debuff causing them to do less damage? Do Wizards have a debuff preventing them from controlling things? Do guardian fighters have a debuff that causes their shield to block less? Why do clerics heal for less on themselves, especially since they're the ones who need it the most (given the massive aggro they get as soon as adds spawn).

This has no place in this game.

It only effects a few minor spells anyways....

Sunburst, Healing Word, Astral (at will proc)
  • karandordaockarandordaoc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Without righteousness clerics would be ridiculously OP. Seriously. We need to be kill-able in both PvP and PvE and without righteousness I'm pretty sure I could face tank just about any encounter in the game solo, let alone the PvP craziness.

Clerics are fine, aggro is the only problem and that's more of a GWF/GF problem.
  • ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Buy moar pots , I mean you cheese the content with 2 clerics - there has to be a downside to this right ? Get gold - buy pots -> stop QQ-ing .
  • chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ganjaman1 wrote: »
    Buy moar pots , I mean you cheese the content with 2 clerics - there has to be a downside to this right ? Get gold - buy pots -> stop QQ-ing .

With the pot cool downs and aggro, pots aren't enough. Righteousness needs to be altered and preferably removed.
  • renegaderaderenegaderade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you are honestly saying that you cannot keep your own health up as a cleric. You are playing your class wrong.

Healer's lore + forsight renders the so called debuff ineffective. Healer's lore gives you 20% bonus healing and forsight when upgraded in feats gives 11% damage reduction. This combined with the 20% damage reduction+healing you get from astral shield renders you almost unkillable.

the only way you could possibly die in PvE is if you stand in the AoE or you dont dodge the enemy attacks.

If the 40% debuff was not there I'm pretty sure I would go from averaging 2 death per PvP game to 0 deaths.
  • vulpanguevulpangue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cleric mechanics are in need of adjustment, that’s true. However, I believe you focus on the wrong solution. As you and countless others before you have pointed out, cleric aggro is a serious issue. They draw the attention of adds almost instantly and there often is no one who can effectively come to their aid. As a rogue, I do try to keep an eye on our healer – and each and every time I see them being harassed by mobs, it’s often ridiculously difficult to get them off. This is where the tanking class(es) of this game should be able to jump into action. Easier said than done, with things being the way they are.

As an MMO player, however, I’ve learned that there’s one golden rule that applies to every party, no matter the game: Protect the healer. The healer is someone who keeps the rest of the group alive and provides a crucial advantage during fights. Alas, for all its worth, it’s a frail class – because it has to be, otherwise healers would be critically overpowered not only in PvP, but also in PvE. You don’t run dungeons solo for a reason. You have to rely on others and that’s truer for a cleric than for anyone else. The debuff helps to keep things balanced and (dare I say it) challenging, something this game frequently lacks. Healers shouldn’t be invincible pillars of life. To be sure, neither should they be the automatic target of every cockroach that happens to crawl from beneath a stone. Something has to be done there.
  • zoetje81zoetje81 Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Two clerics are rather powerfull. This is however due to Astral Shield stacking and therefor the amount of healing that comes with it.

A cleric alone has a much harder job. Keeping your team alive and yourself while running in circles to avoid getting smacked in the face by adds isnt that easy.

Than again im still pretty new to lvl 60 content.
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would like to see the following:

Just remove righteousness but make all our heals weaker, not only for us, FOR EVERYONE. The game is easy enough to be able to avoid 80% of the damage you take. Period.
    In the process you could also fix Heal's threat aoutput. It feels like it's at 400%.

Gotta love dead peeps crying for the nerf on heals. Gotta love it.
    When people say "if clerics didn't have righteousness they would be unkillable" I ROFL and i can't stop.
    They don't even realise that a GF or Rogue with AS or a cleric spamming a simple HW on them every 6 seconds is already unkillable, but they complain about the cleric.... riiiiiiight.

Forums making sense. Love 'em.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o
  • jacksoonjacksoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think's all the bad comment come out from Tr or Cw, they don't even know what mean use an heal skill and get all the mob on you in 0.05sec. We can dodge 2-3 atk if we lucky, we can use AS, but is wortless if we have to face allt he time 20-30 mob under boss. But the life is easy for Tr and Cw, die 1 time under boss=bad healer; don't dodge red circle=bad healer. We have to take a whole party alive whit simply 2 aoe heal skill, dodge all the atk and heal in the same time x.x. If all of you think's be a Dc is easy, try make 1. After that you can spoke whit us about nerf the class, if you still think's we are OP. Remeber 1 thing's, if they reduce the effect of AS no one will be able to end a T2/Cn dungeon; you will see party whit 3 DC and 1Cw 1 Tr.
  • tarannon1tarannon1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Make righteousness only work in pvp and outside a pve group setting, and it would be balanced. As it is now, we quaff a helluva lot more potions than anyone else in a group, much due to the agromechanics of healing. Righteousness was introduced to avoid clerics having more gold than anyone else due to use of less potions. The opposite is now true.
  • oronessoroness Member Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gold, right.
    Let me buy myself a Cat with... oh wait it costs AD.
    Let me buy an Ioun St... <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, it costs bars.
    A mount? Zen (a.k.a. AD)

You know what? I will buy myself 10 cleric companions, 10 mans at arms and 50 slowpoke horses. Like 10 of each colour to be fancier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want this class in NW. :o