test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF - Come and get it ability

elimastelimast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Has anyone used this ability much? The one time I was testing it out the pull in felt a little weak. I guess I was expecting something as strong as CW singularity :P
Post edited by elimast on

Comments

• spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's pretty core to my rotation. It is a little weak, if you're comparing it to Singularity.

As a trade for the small amount of targets it hits, it also buff's you for 30% damage on your next attack. (Assuming 3 ranks, IIRC.)

The way I figure it, all your best at-will and encounters hit multiple targets. Come and Get It helps make sure I hit the most amount of add's, and makes sure my first hit (usually Indomitable Battle Strike) also does more damage. When considering the small AoE of IBS, CaGI will make sure you hit as many targets as possible every time.

Might be less important if you play with a static group and you know your CW. It's equally possible for a CW to completely screw you in a dungeon with knock back, and in those situations CaGI is an absolute must.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • gbf360gbf360 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elimast wrote: »
    Has anyone used this ability much? The one time I was testing it out the pull in felt a little weak. I guess I was expecting something as strong as CW singularity :P

I had the exact same feeling. Could use a bit of a boost.
  • th0rfinnth0rfinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I got Not so fast and after using it for a while a whenever I switch from my PvP encounters to my PvE I put a "Not so fast" on my mind and put a different skill. This skill doesn't completely moves the target to you and if you misjudge the distance of the enemy from you it may not even work. Not a skill I would get unless someone demonstrate me otherwise.
  • elimastelimast Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spacejew wrote: »
    Might be less important if you play with a static group and you know your CW. It's equally possible for a CW to completely screw you in a dungeon with knock back, and in those situations CaGI is an absolute must.

CW knock backs really do drive me up a wall :P

Although the knock back can be far, is it strong enough to pull enemies right into you from far distances? (the ability lists far but it didn't seem strong or bring them into me)
  • zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah come and get is pretty lack lust. this is an Encounter that only draws in mobs, does not make threat or hold mobs next to you and increases the damage of your next attack. I found this damage to be more of a static 500 at rank three no matter what attack I used. So yeah an encounter that gives you an at-wills dmage.

Come and get it should draw in a bigger area of monsters and bring them all the way next to you. not just pull guys a little bit and only get them next to you only if they where already close. Plus it should be a tuant move it should be the ideal move to save a cleric that got too much healer aggro. Then GWF might actually have a role in the group.
    edited May 2013
    CW knock backs really do drive me up a wall :P

Although the knock back can be far, is it strong enough to pull enemies right into you from far distances? (the ability lists far but it didn't seem strong or bring them into me)

You need to play around with CaGI and get a feel for it's range, but I assure you that once you learn to use it you will have a hard time giving it up. You want to place yourself either in the middle of a large group of enemies and side-step for your IBS or once you have a grasp of it's range you will pull in several and one-shot them while moving on to targets that were not pulled.

If you find the gather completely lack luster, or if you don't like a 30% buff to your next encounters damage, than you could probably replace it for Battle Fury.

Battle Fury can't pull add's off cliff's though, which is hilarious.

EDIT:

The guy above is wrong, the damage off rank 3 CaGI at level 60 is far more than 500. It might depend what ability you pair it with, but I use it just before my big striker attacks like Indomitable Battle Strike. It seems to add anywhere from 2000-4000 damage per target but it varies a lot. That fits my style, might not fit yours.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tried it for a few levels then dropped it. If the pull was stronger and had a bigger range it would be worth it. A 30% buff to one attack isn't a worthy DPS investment over another damaging encounter which will blow that 30% buff away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • isdavisdav Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You need to play around with CaGI and get a feel for it's range, but I assure you that once you learn to use it you will have a hard time giving it up. You want to place yourself either in the middle of a large group of enemies and side-step for your IBS or once you have a grasp of it's range you will pull in several and one-shot them while moving on to targets that were not pulled.

If you find the gather completely lack luster, or if you don't like a 30% buff to your next encounters damage, than you could probably replace it for Battle Fury.

Battle Fury can't pull add's off cliff's though, which is hilarious.

EDIT:

The guy above is wrong, the damage off rank 3 CaGI at level 60 is far more than 500. It might depend what ability you pair it with, but I use it just before my big striker attacks like Indomitable Battle Strike. It seems to add anywhere from 2000-4000 damage per target but it varies a lot. That fits my style, might not fit yours.

In defense of the guy above you, he did not state what level he is, but the fact is he is correct in it being a Static damage, it is FLAT damage, so it does not matter if you proc CaGI with WMS or if you use Flourish, or IBS it will always do roughly the same amount of damage. But I just even went and confirmed in game that the damage does not change whether I hit a 300 damage WMS, or a 2k Flourish (My GWF is only level 41), the damage is basically always the same, about 500. (Which I imagine it would be stronger at 60, but the point still stands, it is not a percent increase, but flat damage, and therefore probably best to proc with a AOE at-will as more targets=more procs=more damage).

To the OP, CaGI is what it is, it's an ability to position your enemies and then use the proc on an attack to hit multiple targets, IE hitting one target and adding a small amount of damage is not amazing, but when you hit 5+ mobs with it, the damage adds up.
  • serpentttserpenttt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 77
    edited May 2013
    I feel like it should be combined with battle fury into one skill. It's only real use is to clump mobs together after someone knocks them back, or they're ranged mobs.
    edited May 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    I tried it for a few levels then dropped it. If the pull was stronger and had a bigger range it would be worth it. A 30% buff to one attack isn't a worthy DPS investment over another damaging encounter which will blow that 30% buff away.

Just a note here, but I think your misunderstanding how CaGI works as well, its not a percent buff, its Flat damage, to ANY attack, IE adding that small flat damage to your most powerful encounter, probably sucks, but adding that small damage to 10 hits with say Weapon Master Strike, on a pack of 10 mobs....works.
  • tcorneliu01tcorneliu01 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yea i skipped this skill. usually CW do a good work getting the target together and i prefer for example using a skill like takedown which has both decent dmg (3rd encounter as dmg i think) and is good CC skill. Also Roar is also good as a skill when going burst vs bosses i think.
    edited May 2013
    isdav wrote: »
    Just a note here, but I think your misunderstanding how CaGI works as well, its not a percent buff, its Flat damage, to ANY attack, IE adding that small flat damage to your most powerful encounter, probably sucks, but adding that small damage to 10 hits with say Weapon Master Strike, on a pack of 10 mobs....works.

Or... I could use Mighty Leap and do WAAAY more damage to all 10 targets.

I understand how it works it's just bad. If you want a pull, it doesn't do a well enough job. If you want aggro... LOL... that's all I'll say about that. If you want damage none of our abilities crit high enough for the buff to pay dividends.

So no matter how you look at it C&GI is all around meh. Like I said, if they fixed the pull I'd be all for it. As is... it sucks.
    Just sayin'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013
    Right now the 3 GWF builds - Instigator, Destroyer and Sentinel are too confusing and has no synergy.
  • chronomancerchronomancer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,223
    edited May 2013

I agree.. kinda weak...
    edited May 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    Or... I could use Mighty Leap and do WAAAY more damage to all 10 targets.

I understand how it works it's just bad. If you want a pull, it doesn't do a well enough job. If you want aggro... LOL... that's all I'll say about that. If you want damage none of our abilities crit high enough for the buff to pay dividends.

So no matter how you look at it C&GI is all around meh. Like I said, if they fixed the pull I'd be all for it. As is... it sucks.
    Just sayin'.

It honestly still sounds like you do not understand how it works, at least from your comment of, "If you want damage none of our abilities crit high enough for the buff to pay dividends."

This still sounds to me like you think the damage of CaGI is based off the attack you use to proc the damage, which it is not, in any way.

It is a flat amount, set by the skill itself, IE if your CaGI happens to have a base damage of 600 damage, it will hit for 600 damage, whether it is on a 800 damage WMS, or if its on a 6k IBS, it will still do 600 damage. This is ignoring crit, which CaGI can crit as well, but its irrelevant, also the base numbers I use are made up, but the mechanic itself, that is how it works, and that mechanic is what gives it use.

As in, hitting for 600 damage, 10 total CaGI procs with WMS is not too shabby, netting 6k damage, the same as IBS in the given example.

Is the pull weak? Yes. And that is the one thing I would agree needs a buff on the skill.

When used for AOE spam though, this skill is not bad by any means, just situational.

And the thing you said about aggro, well yea, this skill is not for aggro, it is a pure AoE spam/positioning skill.
    Which the name is actually kind of bad as it does suggest a taunt or something....

(Small Side Note: Even Slam ticks can proc the CaGI proc apparently, making it even easier to get massive numbers of procs from the ability if you have a big enough group of enemies around you.)
    edited May 2013

I've been playing with CaGI since I got it and it proc's exactly once, although it will proc once on everything you hit with that next one attack. I have never, ever seen it proc off a Slam. It wouldn't surprise me if it does and I just haven't noticed, but somehow it still seems to proc off IBS even with Slam going. Since slam isn't an encounter, it definitely should not behave that way and if it does you need to report that as a bug. I have also never seen it proc 'ten times' off a WMS, rather I've seen it proc the once unless you hit multiple targets with that one attack.

It's a matter of taste and group composition, but it makes it far easier to hit 5 or more targets all the time which up's your damage. If your CW is awesome, as I said, it will probably be less necessary. There are alternate options for different play styles, I just happen to like being sure I'm always hitting as many targets as possible with Reaping Strike.

Which reminds me, your experience might be different depending on what spec you're using it with. On top of that, CaGI has some weird bugs. For instance, it can apply the Deep Gash bleed even though it technically does no damage. Not sure if it can apply Destroyer, SotS, or Weapon Master stacks but based on the behavior of Deep Gash I wouldn't be surprised.

EDIT:

@TrickShaw:

lol @ Mighty Leap.
    edited May 2013
    Yea I should have worded that better, but I meant it would proc on every hit of 1 WMS strike, if it was hitting 10 enemies, not 10 different activations of WMS. In short, badly worded but it would proc 10 times....persay.

And I can confirm it does proc on slam, without a doubt, tested it before I made that comment, slam, hit CaGI, stood there and did not use a single other attack, and it most certainly activated the CaGI damage. Also I would actually think its intentional, as getting one measly proc off of IBS would be far inferior to getting multiple procs with your Slam damage tick (as more often then not it would be hitting multiple mobs) so there is ZERO situations where getting the CaGI proc to activate with any ability would be better than Slam activating it, since it is basically our biggest area AOE. Also the fact that it works with at-wills as well defeats the "encounter" requirement.
    edited May 2013
    It is a flat amount, set by the skill itself, IE if your CaGI happens to have a base damage of 600 damage, it will hit for 600 damage, whether it is on a 800 damage WMS, or if its on a 6k IBS, it will still do 600 damage.

If that's how it works then it's even more useless. 600 dmg is nothing and all you've done is prove how mathematically irresponsible it is to take C&GI for it's dmg buff over another damaging Encounter. Unless the buff scales tremendously with weapon damage which I hope to god it does if that's how it works.

Otherwise, 600 dmg on 10 clumped targets? I can quadruple that tally in the same situation with Mighty Leap. Non-crit. When I was level 45.

In fact, unless the damage scales tremendously, the only redeeming quality would be if... IF... the dmg buff proc'd on *every* pulse of Slam and/or spinning which would be awesome but inexplicably a bug.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Yea I should have worded that better, but I meant it would proc on every hit of 1 WMS strike, if it was hitting 10 enemies, not 10 different activations of WMS. In short, badly worded but it would proc 10 times....persay.

And I can confirm it does proc on slam, without a doubt, tested it before I made that comment, slam, hit CaGI, stood there and did not use a single other attack, and it most certainly activated the CaGI damage. Also I would actually think its intentional, as getting one measly proc off of IBS would be far inferior to getting multiple procs with your Slam damage tick (as more often then not it would be hitting multiple mobs) so there is ZERO situations where getting the CaGI proc to activate with any ability would be better than Slam activating it, since it is basically our biggest area AOE. Also the fact that it works with at-wills as well defeats the "encounter" requirement.

That's a terrible way for it to work considering a Destroyer needs to fire off their encounters while unstoppable for the 25% bonus damage. I'm going to test this myself, something seems off with that.

Also, it isn't 'one measly proc' off IBS, IBS after a CaGI would obviously hit multiple targets. Basically as many as CaGI pulls in will be hit.

@TrickShaw, I've seen CaGI crit for over 3k. It is nowhere close to 600 damage. He was using a random number, not implying the actual damage was only 600.
    edited May 2013

@TrickShaw, I've seen CaGI crit for over 3k. It is nowhere close to 600 damage. He was using a random number, not implying the actual damage was only 600.
    I'll check to see if I still have it in my build tonight. If so I'll see what the numbers look like.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Ok, just tested it. Yes, CaGI does in fact proc off of Slam if you use CaGI just before hitting slam. If slam is already going, it proc's off that too. Not sure how I feel about that, honestly. You can time your IBS through the pulses, but no real reason to do so.

It hits for about 1000 per target off Slam, I hit a target dummy once with IBS for 1800 when it was fully debuffed from SotS. It appears to be non-diminishing per target hit. So there are some numba's for you.

For Comparison:

Brutal Club of Ogre Kind
    7382 GS
    3717 Power
    1400 Crit
    666 ArP
    1242 Recovery
    1511 Defense (20% to power)

I'd still say it's totally worth-while, since you get to choose the actual area-of-effect type it uses. Slam has a massive AoE, therefore CaGI 's damage has a huge AoE. Used at the right time, it's easy to see how you could get thousands of damage out of it.

Of course, you could get better out of Roar but I'll be honest Roar's AoE is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. If you feel comfortable with that, sure, but I barely see the point outside of Singularity hits.
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    are you sure the damage buff is +30%? i tested it a very short while and thought it was +50%
    edited May 2013
    Alright, just tested it myself.

It does proc off slam but only the first pulse. It does 2/3rds the damage that Mighty Leap does. So... again... I reiterate my previous point...

It's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Actually, it's worse than <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Mighty Leap is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and Mighty Leap is better than C&GI. Sure, C&GI procs on the first hit, which under the right circumstances might... M-I-G-H-T... be worthwhile. But I'm sorry, I'm still not slotting a power which does less damage than Mighty Leap... Mighty Leap... to be used with the sole intent of conjoining it with Slam in the off chance it helps my DPS tally.

That's 'bout the most wishful thinking I've read on a forum in a long time.

/peace
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    If all it did was the raw damage it would be under powered. It also lets you hit the most targets possible with your at-wills, which is where all your real damage happens anyway. If it's not a problem for you, then switch.
  • heliosesperadaheliosesperada Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been doing some testing with CaGI recently, it is and isn't flat damage......by that I mean it DOES have scaling, but the actual damage it does doesn't care how much damage the hit that proc'd it did.

It does however have it's own damage multiplier based on your base damage(Which is why it's rank up have %'s on them instead of a flat amount.) In the case of multi-hit skills it only procs once, however it is treated as a separate hit and can proc steel blitz. Also a wierd thing to note, is that the pull in portion of the skill can apparently crit as it sometimes triggers deep gash on enemies pulled in(noticed this against training dummies before I had even hit them)

If the hit which procs CaGI crits then CaGI will crit as well, (Steel blitz also seems to do this) Steel Blitz also has a similar damage base damage multiplier.

Steel Blitz and CaGI seem to be mechanically identical in terms of how they deal damage.
  • nuzzarnuzzar Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually use this in my basic pve setup - that combined with roar lets me push & pull mobs around the way I want which helps a lot in PUGs to grp stuff up for your AEs, as mentioned b4 prolly not needed with a decent CW. Though i absolutely love to pull stacked mobs in and IBS them.