test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Zen too AD

darksnakesdarksnakes Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So people say this game is pay to save time and not pay to win, so i worked it out.

If you wait for a bonus weekend and say get 30,000 zen for 180 euro its the same as making 30,000 AD for 350 days (with no breaks).

180 euro = 30,000 zen (on a bonus day)

30000 zen = 105,000,00 AD

30,000 AD per day = 350
(sometimes they give even more zen per euro so then AD would be worth even less real life cash)

Anyway this made me feel this game is a bit too much dependent on real life cash to be viable for me to enjoyably invest in. So now after working this out i keep thinking i could just spend a few euro and complete the game which kills it for me. I love DnD but i'm really finding it hard to keep playing this game now.....

Opinions/thoughts?
Post edited by darksnakes on

Comments

• lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    darksnakes wrote: »
    Opinions/thoughts?

Don't spend money and play the game?
    Mad idea, I know.
  • darksnakesdarksnakes Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If i made 10k AD a day like a normal person it would take me 1050 days (about 3 years) to make the same as 180 euro buys in AD, does this seriously not kill the game for anyone else?
  • sirkimjongsirkimjong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 97
    edited May 2013
    If i made 10k AD a day like a normal person it would take me 1050 days (about 3 years) to make the same as 180 euro buys in AD, does this seriously not kill the game for anyone else?

That means you don't do any professions and never sell gear you find?

edit: You even get coins, might be a coalescent ward in there..
  • malaclypsmalaclyps Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    take a week and hit the surveys/offers hard, like a couple times a day. most of them are broken granted but i made 4k zen last week, it's just a matter of keeping on plugging away, and watching the zen exchange and auction house, finding where you can make a profit and making a few flips.

i grabbed my stone of ioun for endgame, bought and sold some auction house stuff, picked up a couple profession assets, unlocked some boxes and sold the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> inside, ended up with most of the stuff i would have spent money on (except a mount, that's the next plan) and about 750k ad left at then end. granted, a million ad won't get you very far, but at lvl 35 i don't need much.
    edited May 2013
    I respect you for having the patience to do surveys and you have obviously realized that real money is the fastest way too progress in this game, but why would i do surveys when i can just get out my credit card (i'm not rich) but can afford to spend 100$ when i feel like it.

What kills the game for me is that the fastest way to progress is always with real money.
  • xenogear3xenogear3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All games like that, but not all games have the same rate.
    "Good" games worth more.

WoW has a monthly fee and very popular, so it is expensive. Around 2 dollars/hour.
    Diablo 3 is 2 cents per hour.

I am new to this game.
    How many hours to earn 1 million AD?
    edited May 2013

Umm, no, because these ADs don't come out of thin air? Players still need to make them first?
    And if you are willing to spend 180 euro on a game, be my guest, vast majority of players won't.
    edited May 2013
    I respect you for having the patience to do surveys and you have obviously realized that real money is the fastest way too progress in this game, but why would i do surveys when i can just get out my credit card (i'm not rich) but can afford to spend 100$ when i feel like it.

What kills the game for me is that the fastest way to progress is always with real money.

the biggest thing i realized from it, is that nearly everything i wanted to spend real money on wasn't actually neccesary. take your time, identify those key pieces you actually want/need. it's not as bad as all that since nearly everything can be gotten from the auction house, and you can do quite well once you're selling end game gear/enchants from dungeon drops.

if your the type that simply has to have the best of everything then it could cost you a staggering amount for frippery's. purple companions, purple mounts, purple profession assets and tools, you could run yourself ragged. but none of that's neccesary to get to endgame and be useful in your role. it's easier just to pull in a little zen from time to time and then grab it cheap on the auction house. even nightmares are under a million this week.
  • frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seriously, making AD in this game is ridiculously easy, you level to 60(a week without effort, 2 weeks for casual 1/2 hours day players) run a couple of delves instances, and you are on the half million AD for the rest of your life... you dont need to buy zen, just trade your AD for zen and buy whatever you need in the AH, Grater health stones? 200k, Mounts? 900k/1 million, companions, same... etc.

heck, due to lag i ve been unable to play for more than a week, only finished a couple of dungeons in last 7 days, i gamble ALL my AD in keys because im bored as hell... and still manage to always have AD!

Just play!
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Not at all. Someone who's willing to blow 180e on this just to get a leg up? They're crazy, and I've got no issues with "competing" with them. :D
    (Not that I'm really competing with anyone - I'm just playing the game for my own enjoyment. However far I get on the resources - time and $ - that I'm willing to put into it, that's all I need. /shrug)

Seriously, making AD in this game is ridiculously easy, you level to 60(a week without effort, 2 weeks for casual 1/2 hours day players) run a couple of delves instances, and you are on the half million AD for the rest of your life...

Of course, this'll only work for a few weeks. Once enough people are 60 and running instances, selling a few epixxxx on the AH isn't going to be a giant windfall. Also, the AH just recirculates the AD that's already in-game, it doesn't create new AD out of thin air. Once the big piles that Founders got dries up (via auction fees, respeccing, conversion into zen & spent in the cash shop, appearance changes, etc), the entire economy will have to keep running on just what rough diamonds manage to refine each day.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Considering there is no real end game. Whats the rush? And if there is no rush...where is the need to spend cash?
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Not at all. Someone who's willing to blow 180e on this just to get a leg up? They're crazy, and I've got no issues with "competing" with them. :D
    (Not that I'm really competing with anyone - I'm just playing the game for my own enjoyment. However far I get on the resources - time and $ - that I'm willing to put into it, that's all I need. /shrug)

Of course, this'll only work for a few weeks. Once enough people are 60 and running instances, selling a few epixxxx on the AH isn't going to be a giant windfall. Also, the AH just recirculates the AD that's already in-game, it doesn't create new AD out of thin air. Once the big piles that Founders got dries up (via auction fees, respeccing, conversion into zen & spent in the cash shop, appearance changes, etc), the entire economy will have to keep running on just what rough diamonds manage to refine each day.

the piles the founders got are gone. 2 million won't take you very far unless you're only using to reinvest and flip at the ah, most people bought like a mount, a companion, maybe a bag, or a couple profession assets, and that was gone. but you're forgetting that ad/zen isn't static either. prices have been trending downward in both places since launch, and people buying or earning zen keep on creating more.
  • horrifyingclownhorrifyingclown Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The price of AD is determined by how hard AD is to come by. If AD was actually hard to come by, it would cost way more. Of course, right now, there's a ton of AD on the market due to the Founder's Packs, but once those are gone, the price of AD will most likely go up a bit.

Even then, expecting to get the fanciest items really fast while only making 10k AD/day is kind of silly. People who spend a lot of time on this game will easily be able to reach the 24k/day per character limit. Even with only the initial 2 free character slots, that comes to 48k/day per user. And that's only until they get around to buying more character slots. And even hard-core players should be able to play for at least a month or so before having seen all of the content. I mean seriously, this is a MMO, it's supposed to last for a while. Heck, if you want the Angel of Protection, you have to invoke once a day for something like 350 days.

And of course you have to work hard to get the same stuff as the people who pay. If it only took you a month or two of work to get $180 worth of stuff, nobody would pay.
    edited May 2013
    People who spend a lot of time on this game will easily be able to reach the 24k/day per character limit. Even with only the initial 2 free character slots, that comes to 48k/day per user.

Eh, this isn't STO.... maxing out your refining isn't a short process. 3k for spending an hour in a dungeon? 4k for an hour+ in Foundry?
  • axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Eh, this isn't STO.... maxing out your refining isn't a short process. 3k for spending an hour in a dungeon? 4k for an hour+ in Foundry?

Yea I doubt anyone ever really maxxes that out. It's not at all easy in NW. You'd have to do all dailies, and leadership - and not sleep so you can reset your leadership in ~10 hours (and have leadership at 20, and other profs to have all the slots).

Due to this the price of everything should theoretically drop a lot when they close down founder packs, as the main source of creating diamonds in the economy will be shutdown (tho they may just sell them in another way when those go away).
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • gsundered11gsundered11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lerdocix wrote: »
    Umm, no, because these ADs don't come out of thin air?

As recent, and allegedly ongoing and no doubt future exploits show - they actually can do, in vast quantities. Not to mention all the **** gold-seller sites that sell AD for a fraction of what honest players buy zen and exchange for. Next time you see a potion going with a 5 or 6 figure buy-out, that's AD reappearing out of thin air.
  • thezenzenthezenzen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

10k per day is extremely conservative. You make 8k just doing 4 pvp runs for a daily, in addition to 3-4k+ for invoke, professions, gear sales, celestion coins.

Try factoring spending 10.99 euros per month on NWO like you would WoW and your math gets a lot better.
    edited May 2013
    You guys have rekindled my love for DnD and im going to see if i can get back into this game :)
  • mkesdmkesd Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

In my case -- yes. I will play untill I finished the main quest with two classes, after that it is bye bye. The prices are to high. 3-4 times. and the ingame items are too expensive.

Today I played my cleric from level 1 to 19. And had only 2000 AD. It's because I do not stop for their hourly events. I do what I want in the game. And when I want it. That means, if you don't "hunt" for those AD, you get only a small number of them. I don't think playing through the main quest will last langer than a week. Oh, and I played several foundry quests as well.
    edited May 2013
    mkesd wrote: »
    In my case -- yes. I will play untill I finished the main quest with two classes, after that it is bye bye. The prices are to high. 3-4 times. and the ingame items are too expensive.

Today I played my cleric from level 1 to 19. And had only 2000 AD. It's because I do not stop for their hourly events. I do what I want in the game. And when I want it. That means, if you don't "hunt" for those AD, you get only a small number of them.

Wait, are you trying to say that if you don't put any effort into getting something in MMO, then you don't have it?
    How could that be!?

No, seriously, did you expected a GM to come to you and trade you 1kk ADs or something?
    HELL SURE if you won't focus on getting ADs, then you won't have them, thats how it works with everything in mmos.
    edited May 2013
    thezenzen wrote: »
    10k per day is extremely conservative. You make 8k just doing 4 pvp runs for a daily...

That's one nice thing about the more-developed system in STO. There's enough different things to do for Dilithium (you could probably earn 3x the daily refining limit on any one day), that you don't have to do things you despise (like, say, pvp) just in order to do your refining. Hopefully, once more content has come out, there'll be a larger variety of stuff you can do. (As it is, way too much of the daily AD is tied up in wait-in-a-queue 5-man stuff)
  • mkesdmkesd Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Nice idea, but then it is too late. The large amount of founder pack AD disturbs the system as it is. Prices in the AH are too high. This leads to frustrated players, who want to see, what they can get for their weekly AD .. and they see, they have to wait until next the next big meteorshower hits the earth, to buy something interesting.

As in my example of playing today to level 1-19. I have 2000 AD, 47 Silverpieces and 74 copperpieces. That is my "wealth". I am as rich as a peasant. After getting stabbed, fired at, frozen, beaten to a pulp.

Additionaly I personally find the additional "currencies": Zen, AD, Coins, medals and whatnot extremly annoying. Even in the mountshop you pay on six different ways for six different mounts. In which hell have they invented this system? As casual as the gameplay is, as complicated is their currency system. In my eyes, they simply try to hide, how much you have to play and how long you have to farm to get something useful.
    edited May 2013
    mkesd wrote: »
    Nice idea, but then it is too late. The large amount of founder pack AD disturbs the system as it is. Prices in the AH are too high. This leads to frustrated players, who want to see, what they can get for their weekly AD .. and they see, they have to wait until next the next big meteorshower hits the earth, to buy something interesting.

Prices in AH are high for people who never use it to sell goods.
    Now, lets see how the prices really are:
    Mounts:
    To be able to have blue quality mount via book training on ONE character you need about 2.000.000 ADs.
    Now, for about 800.000 ADs you can have a zen mount on ALL characters on your account. If you really insist on a single character mount, there is lockbox horse, which is epic quality and still cheaper then vendor blue training book.
    Pets:
    In game shops:
    Blue cat-about milion.
    Blue striker pet-about milion.
    Blue defender pet-about milion.
    AH:
    Phoera(purple striker)-100-120k

Gear:
    In game shops let you get level 30-40 blue armors or weapons for 40-50k AD.
    Meanwhile you can get EPIC items for level 60 for as low as 3-4k AD.

Yes, definitely Ah prices are waaaay too high and un affordable. If you play once a week maybe.
  • sandglass77sandglass77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm down with the 'just play' motto, but the thing is with so many other options out there (Rift, by god!) part of what keeps people like me playing a game is simply a 'love' for it, and a trust that the developers are doing their best to make it a great game. The prices in the zen shop, in my opinion, destroy that for this game. They are gouging and awful and conniving and (once again, my opinion) convey a gross disrespect for players and their money.

I understand you need to make money off a free game. Agree. But I am notorious for caving and buying dlc, etc, and yet there is no way in hell I would pay the kind of prices going on here.

Anway, just my two cents. I hope something of the public sentiment trickles through to the developers.
  • s3pts3pt Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm down with the 'just play' motto, but the thing is with so many other options out there (Rift, by god!) part of what keeps people like me playing a game is simply a 'love' for it, and a trust that the developers are doing their best to make it a great game. The prices in the zen shop, in my opinion, destroy that for this game. They are gouging and awful and conniving and (once again, my opinion) convey a gross disrespect for players and their money.

I understand you need to make money off a free game. Agree. But I am notorious for caving and buying dlc, etc, and yet there is no way in hell I would pay the kind of prices going on here.

Anway, just my two cents. I hope something of the public sentiment trickles through to the developers.

Well said.

Although I would think its not so much the developers (who knows maybe even some of them agree the prices are too high) but the suits that are responsible and clearly don't care for the players or the game, just the bottom line $$$
    edited May 2013
    wow, after checking out lvl 60 purple gear on the ah i'm even more enthused, looks like a full set should run right around 250k or so, minus enchants and such, which are obviously going to be costlier for top level, but at least it'll make kicking over to tier1/2's substantially easier.