test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just some things I noticed playing TR and GWF

thetruejackass69thetruejackass69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've recently leveled up a GWF to 60 and had not long ago leveled a TR to 60. This topic is only meant as a suggestion/observation one, not rant at all.

I'd like to begin saying that all the whine about TR being OP are not really justified, as much as the GWF whine about being ****ty as well.

TR gets bursted pretty easily when his cds are down and needs to go into the fray to actually deal damage. Most of his powerful moves have insane windup (Shocking Execution, Duelist's Flurry etc.) and can be interrupted, most of the time you can only cast them if you have Impossible to Catch available or the enemy is dazed. I admit that his bursting potential is a bit over the top (stealthed Lashing -> Exe usually results in a kill) but he can only do that once in a while.

GWF's farming isn't any slower compared to TR (dunno about other classes) especially after you get a healer pet you don't even use that many pots and can aoe pull huge waves and destroy them in one Slam. His early pvp power is indeed bad, but that's because none of his early Encounters or At-Wills scale that well. Its only logical that 30+ is the sweet spot for pvp for GWF with Flourish. In dungeons early on you do have below average DPS but your action points generation is VERY fast with the correct setup and I've often had ~40-50% Daily Bar BEFORE rank 3 Slam ends.

Now onto the real topic:
There are some skills that could be given potential with only minor touching. Specifically, durations. Be it buffs or debuffs.

Wicked Reminder: It only lasts 5-6 seconds with a cd of 4 seconds and it needs to be stacked 5 times. While it is a great damage increase (IIRC -25% Damage Resistance) it can literally drop between a dodge roll and reapplication. So if the boss throws something at you the moment the skill comes back up you have 2 choices: either let the stacks drop or get hit in the face in order to refresh them. A simple +2-4 seconds would fix that forever, it'd be easier to keep the stacks up on the boss without being too liberal with the skill (because its not a DPS increase by itself).

Destroyer:This is one of the most potent yet so hard to keep up Feats of GWF. At rank 3 it provides a 12% increase in total damage done which is massive. Yet it only lasts 3-4 seconds AND it requires >2 enemies hit by one strike of GWF. Improve duration to at least 10-15 seconds to make it worth it or give it a smaller chance on hitting <2 enemies. F.e. a 10-15% chance would be good. That'd require to rework the Heroic Feat Focused Destroyer which is already quite lame (only 5/10/15/20/25% chance for a 3 second stack of Destroyer pffft).

Weapon Master:This is one of his best Class Feats, however it is 5 stacks at rank 3 which most of his swings (except Sure Strike) make it long till it gets to max stacks, so a minor duration fix (3->5-6 sec) wouldn't change that much except maybe make him better where he should be (sustained damage). Alternatively stacks could remain at 3 and increase the % crit chance per stack from 1.5% to 1.5/2/2.5% at ranks 2 and 3.

One thing that could push GWF into very good tier would be a slight improvement at his Stamina regeneration. He needs that Sprint so much to catch up to those fleeing Mages/Rogues/Clerics. Plus I've even ran out of Stamina in several boss fights that spam aoe **** evey 1.5 seconds and you need to dodge them.

Oh, btw, making GWF able to use Unstoppable without having to stop attacking would be VERY good. Same goes for Battle Fury which is kind of lame now cause it interrupts your actions for 1-1.5 seconds making it a mediocre skill at best.

What's your observations for your classes? :)
Post edited by thetruejackass69 on

Comments

• karaadkaraad Member Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    I had complaints about my GWF being grossly under powered before I hit lvl 36 and got Weapon Master Strike. Now when I roll with my usual group, i'm #1 or #2 in terms of damage due tot he fact that I have more armor than our TR and CW combined(running a defense spec) as well as a ton of HP. I rip through the massive crowds of mobs that I pull at once while our TR focuses on the higher HP targets.

If someone complains that GWF's are under powered, they obviously haven't played one to lvl 36 and gotten WMS, it debuffs mitigation against Encounters and even has an aditional buff through Paragon feats to ad additional mitigation bebuffing.

End game, i can hit 10 enemies anytime, anywhere, TR can't.
  • tenkurotenkuro Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can get the most kills and highest rank on my GWF and TR. I prefer my TR because I like dual wielding weapons. My GWF is pretty awesome though. My GWF can be unkillable cause there's enough slots for me to slot cc removal, burst damage, and knock down. I always watch my health and if I get below 50%, I run away at warp speed and get a pot. I don't really like fighting better geared opponents with my TR cause it dies very quickly and cannot change the tide of the battle. On my GWF, if I fight against better geared people, I can just switch to my knockdown build and constantly know down 1 person over and over again until they kill me. I usually do this to the clerics or CWs.
  • theyuttytheyutty Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lvl 60 GWF gear with proper gear and skills is pretty decent. Getting Destroyer & weapon master to full stacks is easy when you use weapon masters strike(2 attacks in a row). Combine with the feat focus destroyer(chance at stack on single targets) & Staying power (10% more damage from encounters) & great weapon focus (10% bonus to at wills which include weapon masters strike)

only time TR out dps me most of the time is when they clearly have top end gear & on single units. Only buff i could think of that GWF needs is reaping strike charge up needs to be faster. Can't comment on how an agro sentinal build is since I'm not spending $6 to test that out, i'd assume it'd be decent though with proper build
  • thetruejackass69thetruejackass69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    theyutty wrote: »
    lvl 60 GWF gear with proper gear and skills is pretty decent. Getting Destroyer & weapon master to full stacks is easy when you use weapon masters strike(2 attacks in a row). Combine with the feat focus destroyer(chance at stack on single targets) & Staying power (10% more damage from encounters) & great weapon focus (10% bonus to at wills which include weapon masters strike)

Well if you're going for a pvp build you can't have focused destroyer and even if you don't the feat is pretty lame, if it were a 20/40/60/80/100% chance per hit on a single target then it'd be great but only 25% at max rank? I bet that's not even enough to get 3 stacks up before they run out and you still need to hit multiple enemies. The duration increased to 10ish would only do good for the skill imo.
  • gambitclickgambitclick Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's sad that they STILL haven't fixed the bug that won't allow multiple Rogues to stack their individual bleeds on the same mob. Only 1 Rogue can apply a bleed on an enemy, while any Rogue can keep reapplying it. People like me have reported this to Cryptic weeks ago but no still no fix.
  • rethophisrethophis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 71
    edited May 2013
    It is very difficult to find a party where the TR and GWF have approx. same gear level so it's hard to make comparisons. But from my point of view (and i'll keep writing it so you guys understand) GWF is hugely underpowered. I play all the time with few guildies: a GF, a TR and a Wizard... We all have same gear scores more or less and we all like character optimization.

I recently got a Greater Plague Fire Enchantment and twinked my gear so i'm slightly stronger gearwise than my comrades but still the GF can outdps me with his conqueror build in dungeons, Wizard is always just 500k DPS behind me despite he does CC as well and TR it's useless to say, in our Spellplague/Kurrandax runs he's almost always at least 2mil DPS over me.

Morale is: you can grind and optimize you character as much as you can, but if on the other side same effort is made for the other classes the results are always better. Stop dreaming.
    Known as Zerkul on DDO forums I]Ryumajin, Zavarthak, Leohands of Cannith[/I, look for me on YouTube.
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only main issue I have with GWF is it's At Will damage being so low.

It means you have to have to use all your encounter slots on damage so you actually do something and can't really afford any utility ones.

Other than that I don't like how Unstoppable works since it basically REQUIRES good healing to get any use out of, and this class barely has any self healing, which doesn't make sense to me. The guardian fighter gets a massive life steal daily and a self heal at will, but it seems like GWF should be the one with those.
  • doomsagadoomsaga Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The real problem with GWF is that they are unslottable in endgame dungeons. What i mean is that the job that GWFs are suppose to do is being tanking care of by CW. CW essentially knock all the adds off the platforms in boss fights as oppose to GWFs AoEing them. GWFs can do more aoe than CW but it doesn't matter because they can just insta kill them anyways. TR has better single target so that's not an option as well. As sad as it is to say, GWF is most likely just one of those classes that will never be desirable unless they got rid of that mechanic which is unlikely.
  • thetruejackass69thetruejackass69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's sad that they STILL haven't fixed the bug that won't allow multiple Rogues to stack their individual bleeds on the same mob. Only 1 Rogue can apply a bleed on an enemy, while any Rogue can keep reapplying it. People like me have reported this to Cryptic weeks ago but no still no fix.

They stack, the counter goes up to 20, 30, 40, 50 depending on how many rogues are hitting the target.
    rethophis wrote: »
    It is very difficult to find a party where the TR and GWF have approx. same gear level so it's hard to make comparisons. But from my point of view (and i'll keep writing it so you guys understand) GWF is hugely underpowered. I play all the time with few guildies: a GF, a TR and a Wizard... We all have same gear scores more or less and we all like character optimization.

I recently got a Greater Plague Fire Enchantment and twinked my gear so i'm slightly stronger gearwise than my comrades but still the GF can outdps me with his conqueror build in dungeons, Wizard is always just 500k DPS behind me despite he does CC as well and TR it's useless to say, in our Spellplague/Kurrandax runs he's almost always at least 2mil DPS over me.

Morale is: you can grind and optimize you character as much as you can, but if on the other side same effort is made for the other classes the results are always better. Stop dreaming.

You need to understand that different classes excel at different things, CW's dps can be uniterrupted cause it is ranged, TR is best at melee single target dps and severely lacking at AoE, GWF does both pretty well and can cc quite a bit. Minor fixes need to be made to be even more viable.
  • churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    They stack, they don't do damage. Only one TR's bleeds does damage.

Your TR beating you by 2mil only means they aren't playing it right, they should be about 40% ahead of you at the end of a dungeon (unless they are at 5m and you at 3m, but spellplague or karrundax don't usually have damage totals under 10-12m)
  • fimcontefimconte Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They stack, they don't do damage. Only one TR's bleeds does damage.

Your TR beating you by 2mil only means they aren't playing it right, they should be about 40% ahead of you at the end of a dungeon (unless they are at 5m and you at 3m, but spellplague or karrundax don't usually have damage totals under 10-12m)

Are you sure that's how it works? I heard that the first rogue who applies the bleed gets all the damage from extra stacks.
    Fans Glory to the Gladiators,
    Gods Glory to the Heroes.

TR:Anirul Corrino@Fimconte
    GF:Irulan Corrino@Fimconte
  • erdokanerdokan Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rethophis wrote: »

Hurrdurrhurrdurr, TR's only get that much more DPS compared to other classes if they are using their pure DPS moves. Yes, pure DPS. That's all it is - no added effects like CC control wiz/gwf, no heals devoted cleric, no blocking/prone GF, no survivability compared to the other classes unless running a stealth build including shadow strike, which would ofc lower the DPS dealt in return. It all evens out, you just need to accept your role in a group. For a rogue, it's doing as much damage as possible usually, so they shouldn't be anywhere else but on top of the damage dealt scores if they are specced that way.

GWF is more than fine aswell, it's only bad when heavily undergeared or if the player is just really bad (the 'me swing big sword. me expect errythin to die in 1 hit' types).
    David Valtiere, Lvl 70 TR with perfect Lvl 60 gear which I don't want to replace cause nostalgia yo ;_;