test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Respec and gem prising

visceraxiusvisceraxius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Greets folks, I had a look around and couldn't find anything on this with the ideas I have. I'd like to make a small suggestion on the pricing of Respecing and Gem Prising. I feel the cost is a little too high for the merit worth, I have already spent cash on this game and if it keeps me going I will spend more, so I don't want this post to seem like I am crying about the amounts here.

First of all the re-specing cost seems just too high, I believe this should be a gold cost or a cheaper gem cost, why? Well MMO's especially end game in PvP and even in PvE are about experimenting with different builds and set ups to try and create something unique, instead of having everyone cloned. I believe that the high price of resetting your choices may put many people off exploring the many alternatives to the guides (Which right now are not accurate as they can become out of date at any patch due to ability issues) offered up. It inhibits the very nature of an MMO and stat building by putting a huge penalty on a mistake we should be expected to make while playing this game. It isn't nice to feel like I am treading on egg shells every time I place a point in my stat tree, and I don't feel like going directly from a guide, I want to try it for myself.

This is why I believe the respec cost should be one of the few things that can be purchased for with gold, I know it may go against your model and it may even lose you a bit of income, however as an experienced MMO player I think it could vastly improve your game and allow people to really explore the system you have created. Put yourself in our shoes devs. 600 Zen? Am right for the price of a token there?

The next thing is gem prising, the price to free a gem from its armour slot is too high when it supplements the price of a re-spec, why not provide people with a buyable gem removal kit (for Zen) which can be re-charged with AD? That way people have a choice, do I buy the kit with Zen and get the benefits of a great handy item? or do I stick with the F2P method and use (at an extra cost in comparison) AD to take each gem out individually? That's a clear cut micro transaction which I think will leave both parties, especially the customer, feeling fairly treated.
Post edited by visceraxius on

Comments

• imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I didn't have much of a F2P background when I started playing Neverwinter, so non-free respecs seemed pretty strange to me at first too, since I had only played MMOs with monthly fees and/or upfront costs. But I learned that this is pretty normal for F2P MMOs and that respecs are handled this way in pretty much all of them.

Also, something to consider: With pretty much every build you will have way more points for spells and skills than you actually need for a build, and that takes different loadouts for PvP and PvE into account, so it's very hard to mess up in that area. You can pretty much try out every power and still max everything you want.

For feats, you can respec them for Astral Diamonds directly and unless you do it very late in the game, the costs are not very high. I changed the feats on a level 36 character the other day and it cost around 30k AD, which is very affordable. A respec token costs the equivalent of about 200k AD currently (which is for everything), with the costs decreasing every day -- you can exchange AD to Zen --, so it's within a do-able range. There are some guides in my signature which may help with picking a build, too.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't mind the price atm anymore really.

The only thing I do mind is having no way to test things out w/o wasting all of your diamonds.

And IMO I think feat respecs should be halved. They're almost the same as a respec token anyway so it's kind of pointless to just respec feats at high levels.

And 30k AD on a lvl 36 char is kind of dumb IMO. Maybe if it's an alt or something and you have the AD from your main, even then you can barely test anything at lvl 36.

If we just had a way to test things out for free, I would shut up completely about respecs TBH.

Not sure if it would be possible ATM, but say, a little instance with some dummies, talk to an NPC and they save your current ability scores/powers/feats, then give you unlimited respecs, and when you leave the instance you're back to your saved build. Maybe a node to spawn some monsters, just like Champions Online. No idea why they don't have this anyway, considering it's beta and there are a lot of broken feats/powers.
  • pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "prising" ?
  • aronwenaronwen Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    I didn't have much of a F2P background when I started playing Neverwinter, so non-free respecs seemed pretty strange to me at first too, since I had only played MMOs with monthly fees and/or upfront costs. But I learned that this is pretty normal for F2P MMOs and that respecs are handled this way in pretty much all of them.

Paying for skill resets is common in f2p, but here compared to others it's actually cheaper. Played several f2ps where the cost to reset was anywhere from 15$ up to 30$. Although I did play one where you could reset unlimited for 24 hours, which maybe they could provide something similar?
  • jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Will there be a free respect for Open Beta characters?? I have made a few mistakes and there were no guides. I actually was filling up all my first 4 tiers of skills because I thought that it would unlock a new skill

(GF - fighting over the shield with it up - was the first one)

But to my dismay later it was pointed out to me that it was already active.

I could now lv all of my previous skills to their max lv of 3 - lol. I thought that if I maxed out all of them to lv 3 that it would change and show me a new fantastic skill like 'can now add spikes to shields' or 'push back mobs and pvp players like an advancing Roman Soldier'

Oh well, lesson learnt.
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • thehighcounselthehighcounsel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 47
    edited May 2013
    I just wish respec allowed you to reroll stats...As a guy that was just testing the game out, with no idea, I rolled what the game told me was my best stat, wisdom, but actually strength is more valuable. Maybe apart of DnD, but I guess I hope they make wisdom more useful or allow ability score respecs.
  • patsboempatsboem Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You dont have to pay to change gems in your slots. Just drag and drop a new one into it and done...

Also i dont care if you need to pay stupid amounts of money for normal things that should be free. The choice to charge us this way is a cash grab and i think that when the game is a few months older, you will see that most of the community has left the building: there are so much other games to choose for.
  • visceraxiusvisceraxius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "prising" ?

prise, prize [praɪz]
    vb (tr)
    1. to force open by levering
    2. to extract or obtain with difficulty they had to prise the news out of him
    n
    (Engineering / Tools) Rare or dialect a tool involving leverage in its use or the leverage so employed US and Canadian equivalent pry
    [from Old French prise a taking, from prendre to take, from Latin prehendere; see prize1]
  • visceraxiusvisceraxius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aronwen wrote: »
    Paying for skill resets is common in f2p, but here compared to others it's actually cheaper. Played several f2ps where the cost to reset was anywhere from 15$ up to 30$. Although I did play one where you could reset unlimited for 24 hours, which maybe they could provide something similar?

Yes I noticed this, but I don't think there has to be an exact model and maybe Cryptic can stand out from the rest of them. I wouldn't expect them to provide freebies but something more fair.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yes I noticed this, but I don't think there has to be an exact model and maybe Cryptic can stand out from the rest of them. I wouldn't expect them to provide freebies but something more fair.

They do: They give you a way to convert in-game currency, that you earn by playing the game, into cash store currency. Not many other games offer you that. With those games, you have to pay money, without any alternatives.
  • antthegreatantthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think giving 1 free respec at max level would be good personally when lvling up you get w/e looks good or may help with certain area's that u may not need at max level, and its always a good idea to do a fresh take on all your points when your at max any way
  • forumname012forumname012 Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    Of course there are games where respecs are a lot cheaper. 8 quid gets you unlimited respecs for a month in some, for example. Also, with this being a beta, I was hoping to be able to test things.
  • jn2002dk1jn2002dk1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think giving 1 free respec at max level would be good personally when lvling up you get w/e looks good or may help with certain area's that u may not need at max level, and its always a good idea to do a fresh take on all your points when your at max any way
    Definitely this
    Good levelling feats and optimal endgame feats are not always the same so a one time free respec would be very nice
    edited May 2013
    Of course there are games where respecs are a lot cheaper. 8 quid gets you unlimited respecs for a month in some, for example. Also, with this being a beta, I was hoping to be able to test things.

They mentioned that they are working on adding a public test shard. It is just speculation on my part, but I imagine that this could be a place where builds can be tested without it requiring AD or Zen. They also have testing areas in their other games, so this may be something that will be added at some point and is just not ready yet.