test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ideas for Competitive PvE...

arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
If I understand it correctly, Contests are basically competitive PvE events, kind of like a middle ground between cooperative PvE and competitive PvP. You get runestones and enchantments for participating in Contests, and they seem to fall into either Easter Egg Hunts or monster-slaying races, at least, those I've been in. As a player who likes to compete with fellow players but dislikes gear-based PvP, Contests allow me to test my skill against fellow players in a relatively friendly atmosphere.

So, let's brainstorm some ideas for contests in NWO...

1. Horse Race

Player's start at a specific location and race through a monster filled zone (most of them). To keep things fair, and to allow monsters to be a real obstacle, all mounts are reduced to tier 1 for the duration of the race. Said debuff only applies to racers, so as not to annoy those who are uninterested.

Also, it doesn't have to be a horse. You can ride a bear or a spider or whatever Cryptic makes available.

If you want to justify it through lore, maybe the racers are carrying vital supplies to the various checkpoints?

2. Marathon

A race on foot. Otherwise identical to #1.

3. Doctors without Borders

For leader classes. Run around and heal random players in a level appropriate zone. Most HP healed wins.

4. Skydiving

The player who takes the most falling damage from a single fall without dying wins. Getting to the peak in the first place should be the hard part.

I'm out of ideas. What about you?
Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
Post edited by arontimes on

Comments

• Options
    mistriosumistriosu Member Posts: 279 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    1. No. This would guarantee P2W behavior
    2. this would be fine, except GWF has a HUGE advantage with their leap + (if feated) huge amount of sprint time
    3. sounds fun
    4. also sounds fun
  • Options
    itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Contest dungeon,

Everybody subscribes (u can enter 3 hours before the event starts, must enter the subscription with a 5 player team) ahead of time,
    When the 3 hours are up everybody is teleported to the same random dungeon event, players cannot be resurected, team that gets the boss down first wins 2 additional chest's? (could be something else, but considering this should be a lvl 60 event the reward should be nice) second team 1, 3th team 1, could also be rewarded depending on how many people join the contest dungeon.
    (per 100 teams 1 chest ore something like that?)

This would be a really nice way to entertain the community, and create a sort of "pvp" based pve system, with rankings and scoreboards etc? (and highest time ever to beat etc xD , bonus chest for beating record? xDD)

Just pulling things out of my head here but designed properly this could be a nice addition to the game.
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    itheryel wrote: »
    Contest dungeon,

Everybody subscribes (u can enter 3 hours before the event starts, must enter the subscription with a 5 player team) ahead of time,
    When the 3 hours are up everybody is teleported to the same random dungeon event, players cannot be resurected, team that gets the boss down first wins 2 additional chest's? (could be something else, but considering this should be a lvl 60 event the reward should be nice) second team 1, 3th team 1, could also be rewarded depending on how many people join the contest dungeon.
    (per 100 teams 1 chest ore something like that?)

This would be a really nice way to entertain the community, and create a sort of "pvp" based pve system, with rankings and scoreboards etc? (and highest time ever to beat etc xD , bonus chest for beating record? xDD)

Just pulling things out of my head here but designed properly this could be a nice addition to the game.
    3th. Just 3th.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Whats wrong with that mistriosu?.... third 3th? i write wile i think so i write things like that all the time ore am i missing something ure trying to point out, but havent fully accomplished to?
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • Options
    sejo77sejo77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP: Great ideas :D.Absolutely supporting this idea it could refresh the interest in contests.More options means more fun and you won't feel the repetative side of the contest.If it is executed well it could add more spice to the game.So yes let 'em comin' :D.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    itheryel wrote: »
    Whats wrong with that mistriosu?.... third 3th? i write wile i think so i write things like that all the time ore am i missing something ure trying to point out, but havent fully accomplished to?
    Sorry. I assumed english was your first language because of how well put together that post was.
    the proper numeral designation for three of something is "third" or "3rd"
  • Options
    evilkinglarryevilkinglarry Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I had thought before that zones could use some random encounter style things. Like notorious monsters or what have you. Then I got to thinking what if some of the contests could trigger the spawning of the random encounters? Have the encounter have a chance to drop some wondrous items. Everyone gets some runestones/enchants just for showing up, and everyone has a shot at the item dropping for them. You just get have a better chance the higher you place in the event.

The doctors without borders idea amuses me quite a bit.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sorry mistriosu :) english is not my main language, but i do my best, however i am kind of bored of spell-police on the internet assuming everybody majored in english :rollseyes: no offens to u personaly, but this happens a lot and i feel it is quite ignorant.
    Again no offens to u, but a lot of people do there best with a language they are not to familiar with :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The thing to keep in mind OP is that some of the contest's u propose are not very balanced (aldo they show creativity :) )

The on foot marathon would be won by GWF all the time,
    The doctors without borders (i agree amusing idee :) ) would be won by clerics all the time.

One of the main problems in things like this is balance, and its a harsh b*tch lurking around every corner when u create new content in a game like this :p
  • Options
    tarpsbootytarpsbooty Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My friends and I came up with idea, I think it would be pretty sweet.

A massive labyrinthine dungeon in which perhaps... 8 or 10 full separate parties enter. There are many mini bosses and twisting corridors on the way to the final chamber, in addition to the chance to encounter a rival party who will wipe you out to steal the loot from those mini bosses. The thing is, in the final chamber is some super boss that gives some super loot (multiple epics, fused weapon enchants? I don't know something good) But it's too tough for even one party to take on. it will require 2 maybe 3 parties. And the final teleport to enter the boss area will accept multiple parties and once inside they will form one party.

So the basic jist is... 8-10 teams enter... and they must whittle each other down... but not too far cause at least 2 teams need to cooperate in order to win.
  • Options
    churchilligcchurchilligc Member Posts: 175 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, games that make you spend hours playing them to not get anything out of it usually do great.