test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Avast just quarantined the NW .exe. WTF?

etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
That's new :D
Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
Post edited by etherealj on

Comments

• Options
    goneclearlygoneclearly Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know if people remember this but Avast also did the same to WoW about the time cataclysm was launched.

I think this is the last straw for my husband and I as gamers and we have currently uninstalled Avast and installing another. They (Avast) seem to do this a lot with games and it's the forth time in as many months we've had this problem.
  • Options
    takilongtakilong Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    see this thread for the on going ishue and some tep fixs for it till the PWE fixs it.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?289551-Launcher-gone
  • Options
    pinchyskriipinchyskrii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    takilong wrote: »
    see this thread for the on going ishue and some tep fixs for it till the PWE fixs it.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?289551-Launcher-gone

"Ishue"

W-T-F...
  • Options
    suroh66suroh66 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Or you could use a real antivirus program Avira it's free never has any problems and it's made by the same people that do Kaspersky.
  • Options
    takilongtakilong Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes i fail at spelling
  • Options
    twiztidmagictwiztidmagic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    me and my roomies avast just did the same.. investigating it now
  • Options
    borneolborneol Member Posts: 174 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Return it from Avast chest. Scan it proper to make sure it is a false positive. Add it as an exception. Profit.
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    "Ishue"

W-T-F...

You bored bro? Or just a db?
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Just use Microsoft Security Essentials. The suite is free and doesn't have a history of false positives like Avast does. MSSE is also less demanding on the system resources.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    suroh66suroh66 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Just use Microsoft Security Essentials. The suite is free and doesn't have a history of false positives like Avast does. MSSE is also less demanding on the system resources.

ahahaha oh wow you're new to computers let me be the first to welcome you to the internet and to the mmo community lol
  • Options
    blizzidblizzid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    well your not alone my roommate just had the avast problem, so i popped on as well to check mine and yep the same thing
  • Options
    abandinusabandinus Member Posts: 62
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    karaadkaraad Member Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    People also need to realize that all 3rd party anti-virus programs must report their findings to Microsoft so they can patch their systems properly.

Do you know what this does? This makes MSE have definitions from -all- other AV programs. :)
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    suroh66 wrote: »
    ahahaha oh wow you're new to computers let me be the first to welcome you to the internet and to the mmo community lol

Thank you, but I have bumped into people like you before over the past, oh, 25 years online. :) Nice to meet you, though!

Feel free to google some articles on the topic. Avast is a fairly controversial AV software that is known for its false positives and resource hogging. MSSE is slim and reliable. I see little reason to use anything else these days. If you have a different opinion, go ahead and provide some details as to why you feel that Avast is preferable to MSSE (other than that is from Microsoft).
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    gamerzaeongamerzaeon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Taking all this back my Avast took it upon itself to silently kill it
    Luckily I know how to resurrect it
  • Options
    dobies4lifedobies4life Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Avast may have very well done you a favor.
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey all! We're looking into reports regarding software conflicts with Avast AV. Thanks very much! :)
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    elcapitannx01elcapitannx01 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Solution, works:

To fix this for those with Avast:

Open the Avast client
    In the 'Maintenance' tab click on 'Virus Chest' in the menu on the left
    Right click on 'Neverwinter.exe' and select 'Restore'
    In the 'Security' tab click on 'Antivirus' in the menu on the left, then 'File System Shield' in that menu
    Click on 'Settings' and then 'Exclusions' in the menu of the window that pops up
    In the text box, add the path to your game installation directory (typically C:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios) then click 'Add'
    Navigate to your instal folder and recreate your game shortcut, or simply execute Neverwinter.exe from that folder. Avast should no longer check the file
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too use MSSE and have never had a virus or received a issue with any of my MMOs I play and I play a fair few.
  • Options
    psendaronpsendaron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    I'm not a big fan of essentials...but that's my opinion...everyone's entitled to one, i guess :-9 ... I had my Norton Power Eraser flag neverwinter.exe as a potiential rootkit but NPE is totally frickin' paranoid anyway so I just submitted it as a false positive...haven't had any firewall issues/AV issues as regard to neverwinter ...only that paranoid report from NPE.... well just rambling here I guess...so if anyone should be frightened by NPE ...don't bother...there are several rootkits around...but probably not anyone that can infect your neverwinter.exe ...yet...
    "Don't change colour to match the walls.
    Look like you belong and the walls will change colour to match you."

- Kender Proverb
  • Options
    tropicatropica Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    THANKS THIS WORKED !

Solution, works:

To fix this for those with Avast:

Open the Avast client
    In the 'Maintenance' tab click on 'Virus Chest' in the menu on the left
    Right click on 'Neverwinter.exe' and select 'Restore'
    In the 'Security' tab click on 'Antivirus' in the menu on the left, then 'File System Shield' in that menu
    Click on 'Settings' and then 'Exclusions' in the menu of the window that pops up
    In the text box, add the path to your game installation directory (typically C:\Program Files\Cryptic Studios) then click 'Add'
    Navigate to your instal folder and recreate your game shortcut, or simply execute Neverwinter.exe from that folder. Avast should no longer check the file