test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game is vulnerable to hackers. I got lucky

jaksgfcbfhjaksgfcbfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Woke up this morning to find an e-mail saying my account had been accessed from a new computer and needed the code checked the IP address the e-mail gave me and it was from China luckily they must have been idiots not to change my e-mail and do it again and i have now changed the password but i can see it happening all over again.
Also this is a fresh install of windows so no dodgy programs have been on here the password was a fairly basic sequence of numbers but it isnt used anywhere else so it all seems to point in the direction of bruteforce

I'd recommend anyone with a fairly simple password to change it and for perfect world to introduce a lock-out after so many attempts
Post edited by jaksgfcbfh on

Comments

• Options
    sarcon89sarcon89 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    more often than not people get hacked from using the same email/login and password as they do on a less secure site (community sites. guild sites ect...) they lift your password/login from those sites and run them through their automated login attempts untill they make a hit (just be glad you have account guard on). im sure many of them are making hits for people without account guard enabled. at the same time i assume they are using said email/passwords to attempt to hijack the email to for bypassing account guard.

best advice i have is use UNIQUE passwords in every activity you do. on any game you care about not losing everything make a new password every month or two.

P.S. the other methods which are very very low likelihood are key loggers which again would be user error. if PWE/Cryptic itself was vulnerable to hackers there would be far larger concerns.
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jaksgfcbfh wrote: »
    I'd recommend anyone with a fairly simple password to change it and for perfect world to introduce a lock-out after so many attempts

I'd recommend anyone with anything less than a secure password read this article.

There is no reason in this day and age to be using passwords like your birthday or your favorite pet's name, if you are under the age of 60 (and even then, I help my older relatives with their security).

And god help you if you're using the same password as you do all over. That's just internet 101. And change your bank passwords while you're at it....
  • Options
    floppyhorsefloppyhorse Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    but guys, the important thing to remember is its not OPs fault.

the fact that someone hacked his account is obviously the fault of NWN.
  • Options
    drizztstarkdrizztstark Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    but guys, the important thing to remember is its not OPs fault.

the fact that someone hacked his account is obviously the fault of NWN.

No, it's all good, this is beta remember?
    Slaad - Tiefling Great Weapon Fighter
  • Options
    chintaechintae Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I use < r.rycb;arm >as my password

:)

No way any hacker is going to crack that code. Brute force or not
  • Options
    pharoah4187pharoah4187 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I use r.rycb;arm as my password

This post made me giggle. +1, sir.
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    chintae wrote: »
    I use < r.rycb;arm >as my password

:)

Hey! I use that same password! /highfive
  • Options
    soulface99soulface99 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To the OP - everything can and will be hacked. Take precautions and don't blame the game.
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It sounds like Account Guard did it's job and kept your account from getting highjacked.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]