What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which companion is better?

dndman420dndman420 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Hello,

I am a devoted cleric. Level 28.

I have a tank companion that is doing fairly well for me, at level 14 now.

I really like the idea of the stone golem if I ever get enough ad to buy one at auction.

I also keep hearing about the cat.

Which of these three is the best overall for a cleric?

Also, random question. Are coins that drop shared with the party? I know gold/silver/copper is not going to be a huge deal endgame, but should I be trying to run to the piles of coins, or do they get distributed to the party like Diablo 2 used to do?

Thanks
Post edited by dndman420 on

Comments

• Options
    braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dunno about the coin thing (I solo, so I just run over ALL of it) but as for the pet... the cat is generally regarded as one of the best, since it cannot be killed (well, it's not SUPPOSED to be able to be killed) and just passively buffs your crit, recovery and whatever stats you put on the gear it can hold.

The rocky guy is a pretty good tank, I hear, although I would question whether he could pull aggro from a cleric. ;)

There's also the Ioun stones (I think there are at least two kinds) that also passively boost your stats. The advantage to having a physical companion is that they can take some of the heat off you, but the DIS-advantage of course is that they can also get whacked and then you have NOTHING. The passive-buff companions ALWAYS help you. And frankly, considering the frequency with which my pets attack / taunt / absorb hits, I am more and more inclined to get a cat (they're just so pricey!)
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Best overall will be one that transfers its stats to you (cat and stones). The Ioun Stone of Allure and the cat are both blue so can go to level 25 and get all their slots filled.

Cash pickups are split amongst the group so as long as someone is running around touching them you'll get your share (which is usually pitiful anyway, nothing like seeing 1c per pickup).
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Stick to tank archetype companion, maybe even get neverwinter guard, but thats it. I wouldn't bother with purple companions unless you REALLY want it and love the look, they won't matter at end game anyway.
    Thats for leveling.

At end game, companion that boosts your stats more is best.
  • Options
    rocker19nl87rocker19nl87 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well i got the golem and for solo he still tanks everything and keeps aggro most of the time. He is rank 15 now. In dungeons on bosses he is a bit weaker tho but can manege it. He only dies on end bosses but i can still train him for like 3 lvls. And im a lvl 44 cleric.
  • Options
    gifmikegifmike Member Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    dndman420 wrote: »
    Hello,

I am a devoted cleric. Level 28.

I have a tank companion that is doing fairly well for me, at level 14 now.

I really like the idea of the stone golem if I ever get enough ad to buy one at auction.

I also keep hearing about the cat.

Which of these three is the best overall for a cleric?

Also, random question. Are coins that drop shared with the party? I know gold/silver/copper is not going to be a huge deal endgame, but should I be trying to run to the piles of coins, or do they get distributed to the party like Diablo 2 used to do?

Thanks

The Flaming bird. Draws aggro like a son of a gun and is easy to heal. I'd say it's name If I could spell it.
  • Options
    rhymfaxerhymfaxe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 101 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    While you are levelling, use whatever. When you do dungeons at 60 you'll want an Ioun Stone of Allure or a Cat.

Ioun stone buffs pow/crit/rec and uses ring/icon/neck, cat buffs crit/rec and uses ring/belt/neck. I prefer the Ioun Stone from a min/max perspective on my cleric. It's also a bit cheaper than the Cat.
  • Options
    dndman420dndman420 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So it is actually confirmed that the passive ones add stats from their items to your own? Not the buffs, but the gear slots. Also, if ioun adds power/crit/rec and cat only adds crit/rec, why wouldn't everyone use the ioun stone? Is ring/belt/neck a more powerful item combo for the cat than the slots for the stone?
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dndman420 wrote: »
    So it is actually confirmed that the passive ones add stats from their items to your own? Not the buffs, but the gear slots. Also, if ioun adds power/crit/rec and cat only adds crit/rec, why wouldn't everyone use the ioun stone? Is ring/belt/neck a more powerful item combo for the cat than the slots for the stone?

It's debated as to which is better, cat or ioun of allure. The cat gives more crit and recovery but the stone gives power. Stone has an idol slot whereas the cat has a belt slot. So it really depends on what stats you're looking for, what you're hitting diminishing returns on, etc.
  • Options
    tenkurotenkuro Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Where do you get the Ioun stone? and it's a non-combative companion like the cat? so it can't die?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    tenkuro wrote: »
    Where do you get the Ioun stone? and it's a non-combative companion like the cat? so it can't die?

zen store and yea
  • Options
    tenkurotenkuro Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elyrielle wrote: »
    zen store and yea

What's an Icon?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    cleric offhand
  • Options
    demonsunderdemonsunder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    which mean you can slot Cleric Never offhand in it :) so heaps of stats way more than any belt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oceanic Neverwinter guild http://19thbattalion.com/home
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2