test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Looking for a Profession Guide?

thoalethoale Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I have been looking all over for some sort of guide or a little guidance on the best way to level professions but haven't found much in the way of good information. One of the biggest thing's I'm not sure about is the crafters. I mean 18 hours is a long time to make 1 and it takes 4 to make of the next level and so on.

How many crafters of different ranks do I really need? My main is level 41 already and the best gear I can craft is only level 34 it takes so **** long to level and I don't want to waste to much time making crafter's if I don't really need them.

Any thoughts or ideas would be great :)

Thanks
Post edited by thoale on

Comments

• Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The professions are really just a mini-game, they make for a fun little diversion while you are waiting in the queue for a dungeon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rakeleerrakeleer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's something... I have not taken a close look at it, so YMMV, but it seems comprehensive for what there is of professions in NW so far.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?227871-Neverwinter-Crafting-Tutorial-Pt-1-The-Basics-and-Leadership-Training-Levels-1-3
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?285412-Crafting-Tutorial-Pt-2-Primary-Professions-Leveling-Increasing-Quality-and-Speed

EDIT: Fixed copy/paste fail from searching the forums for "professions tutorial." Sorry about that.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rakeleer wrote: »
    Here's something... I have not taken a close look at it, so YMMV, but it seems comprehensive for what there is of professions in NW so far.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/sho...ing-Levels-1-3
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/sho...lity-and-Speed

Thanks for the links but I'm getting 404 error :(
  • Options
    braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hindsight being 20/20, if I had to do it over again I would focus on Leadership and max it out first.

There's practically no way you can level up your crafting fast enough to keep up with your actual levels unless you pretty much ONLY craft --- I've got a few alts that I ONLY craft on, so they are actually crafting stuff they CAN use (however briefly, before they loot something better). But since they have NOT been adventuring, I've run up against a wall where I can't make stuff because I'm missing ingredients.

The Leadership "profession" can get you a lot of supplies (as well as xp, astral diamonds, etc). It also doesn't require much in the way of supplies, just a few vendor-bought components (worn infantry sword, etc) that are really tools and not 'ingredients' that get used up.

The other "real" crafting professions (where you CRAFT something) all take forever and you have to make A to make B... I've often run out of inventory room because I've been carrying around these +2 helmets that I made (from +1 helmets, that I made from regular helmets)... because I know that in a few crafting-levels I'll NEED those +2 helmets to craft +4 Helmets.

The cheapest way to level a profession, of course, is to use the free "gather" task (10 minutes four times = 40 minutes) then the free "assemble" task (15 minutes twice = 30 minutes) and then the most advanced "Create Shirt" task you can make that ONLY requires the base component (not the green-quality residuum component). That takes another 40 minutes. So all told about 110 minutes or two hours to make a shirt. Which you then sell to the auction house or a vendor. You only ever have to buy the base component (thread, charcoal, salt, etc) needed. It'll take forever, but you don't have to worry about hauling around +2 gear until you can change it into +4 gear (which you then have to hold on to to make +6 gear)...

All told, it's a really really bad system.
  • Options
    rakeleerrakeleer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    braxzana wrote: »
    Hindsight being 20/20, if I had to do it over again I would focus on Leadership and max it out first.

There's practically no way you can level up your crafting fast enough to keep up with your actual levels unless you pretty much ONLY craft ---

IMHO this is solid advice.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rakeleer wrote: »
    IMHO this is solid advice.

Yeah that's what I thought:( I was hoping I was wrong in that thinking but oh well.
  • Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, right now you can out level professions just by doing invocations practically since the exp scales with level.... Unless you are a craftaholic, usually Leadership is the better route and then either buy or trade for what you need from the other professions...