test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How much $ does AD cost?

leetsawcesleetsawces Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 81
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I notice that everything on the AH costs astral diamonds, but the only thing we can purchase for neverwinter is Zen. So I was wondering what the cost of astral diamonds is in actual money? Like if I spent the $50 to get 5,000 zen... how do I transfer this zen over to AD and how much AD would it convert to? I believe I saw the exchange rate around 385AD per 1 zen yesterday so wouldn't that be about 1.9million AD?
Post edited by leetsawces on

Comments

• Options
    allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yes.

/10 char
  • Options
    bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    leetsawces wrote: »
    I notice that everything on the AH costs astral diamonds, but the only thing we can purchase for neverwinter is Zen. So I was wondering what the cost of astral diamonds is in actual money? Like if I spent the $50 to get 5,000 zen... how do I transfer this zen over to AD and how much AD would it convert to? I believe I saw the exchange rate around 385AD per 1 zen yesterday so wouldn't that be about 1.9million AD?

The AD/Zen Exchange is player ran and the prices fluctuate depending on the state of the market, currently it's fairly high across all three servers but expected to drop with the AH reopening.
  • Options
    leetsawcesleetsawces Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 81
    edited May 2013
    What are you thoughts about this? Is it over priced?
  • Options
    elawynelawyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What are you thoughts about this? Is it over priced?

Is a $9.00 cup of coffee at Starbucks overpriced compared to a $2.00 cup (with endless refills) at the local diner?

It's all subjective. Zen and AD can get you cosmetic items, or items that save you time. The AH allows you to get things you might desire, prices fluctuate. A lot of AD might help you complete a particular set of armor or buy that weapon you want because yo haven't yet found one yourself.

Only you can judge whether you want to spend real money. Personally, I have spent real money, and still haven't spent all the AD.
  • Options
    jjb828jjb828 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Whether it's expensive or not, people have bought it. It's up to the player to decide what's expensive
    Check out the Neverwinter/ESO guild Rogue's Gallery! While you're at our forums, submit an application and join our glorious regime!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes, it is subjective. I mean I dont mind supporting this game and whats another $50 when Ive already drained countless hours into this game. I'm having an incredibly hard time grinding anything other than seals as PUGs do nothing but wipe at final bosses, especially now that cryptic is getting rid of all the exploits.
  • Options
    jjb828jjb828 Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only thing keeping me from putting money into the game is the lame quality of this MMO. It's not really getting my attention very well
    Check out the Neverwinter/ESO guild Rogue's Gallery! While you're at our forums, submit an application and join our glorious regime!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I am incredibly impressed with this game aside from the bugs obviously but those will be tweaked out over time. The main thing that really blows right now (at least for me personally) is that ever since I hit T2 the only guaranteed dungeon you can run and complete w/o a group full of guildmates is Pirate King. The end bosses are incredibly hard, and the game is SO reliant on clerics right now...and the DC may be the least played class period. And when you do finally find a DC more often than not they are terrible, and the fact that the whole party relies on them = wipe. There are so many wipes it makes it hard to keep grinding
  • Options
    zdrahonulzdrahonul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am playing a GWF and I find the game to not really be difficult. I am playing solo missions only and am yet to encounter a really difficult boss. (level 35 ATM)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Questing and hitting 60 is a breeze, running epic dungeons is insane. Dont get me wrong I like difficulty but when the game revolves around one class and that one class happens to be incredibly hard to find, and even more difficult to find a good DC who rolls and dodges...its just a headache
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zdrahonul wrote: »
    I am playing a GWF and I find the game to not really be difficult. I am playing solo missions only and am yet to encounter a really difficult boss. (level 35 ATM)

Amusingly that is exactly where the difficulty starts to go up. It gets really annoying to solo on a GWF in the 50s though for certain quests/bosses.
  • Options
    ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am incredibly impressed with this game aside from the bugs obviously but those will be tweaked out over time. The main thing that really blows right now (at least for me personally) is that ever since I hit T2 the only guaranteed dungeon you can run and complete w/o a group full of guildmates is Pirate King. The end bosses are incredibly hard, and the game is SO reliant on clerics right now...and the DC may be the least played class period. And when you do finally find a DC more often than not they are terrible, and the fact that the whole party relies on them = wipe. There are so many wipes it makes it hard to keep grinding

I'd say GF is the least played class, followed by GWF. DC population is just a bit lower the TR and CW population - at least from looking at guild composition and what I see in-game. Perhaps the fact that most people are looking for TWO DCs in the party is draining the supply a bit.

Or maybe most clerics simply stopped pugging like in other MMOs due to an inordinate amount of dicks who like to blame them for everything.
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Simple math.

I usually buy Zen for 10$ so I get 1100. Mind that the more Zen you buy at once, the cheaper it is.

1100 Zen per 10$ gives it a rough value of 110 Zen per 1$.

10 Zen in Mindflayer exchanges for about 370 AD x 10 = 3700 AD.

3700 AD x 11 = 40700 AD = 110 Zen = 1$

So if you buy 10$ in Zen you are roughly buying 407 k AD in value.

Mind that:

- This value depends on the current exchange rate. If it goes higher than 370 you'll get more AD for your Zen. If it goes down, your Zen is worth less.
    Characters:
    - Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
    - Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
    - Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
    - Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
  • Options
    aronwenaronwen Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    Questing and hitting 60 is a breeze, running epic dungeons is insane. Dont get me wrong I like difficulty but when the game revolves around one class and that one class happens to be incredibly hard to find, and even more difficult to find a good DC who rolls and dodges...its just a headache
    Why don't you try being a cleric then having to deal with parties who just watch the adds beat on you then complain when you don't heal/die. Support roles are uncommon picks in games usually and with the way people play games (everyone for themselves) it just makes less people want to play it on NW.
  • Options
    liquidc86liquidc86 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    so 100 dolars for a castle never weapon . easyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    nothing to see here
  • Options
    darksxdarksx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 198 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    zdrahonul wrote: »

honestly dude, why are you commenting on something you clearly are not qualified to comment on yet? Your 35 and your telling us, oh I'm not having any problem. Okay smart ***, wait until you start doing some T2 Heroics. Then come back and tell us about how great you are then.
  • Options
    liquidc86liquidc86 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lol at you m8. t2 are easy, even castle never is cakewalk.
    nothing to see here
  • Options
    illessenillessen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013

When people realize Clerics aren't the healers that are in wow and actually assist them by drinking pots themselves, maybe more people will roll Clerics. But we all know that's not going to happen :p

Clerics are support healers in this game, they aren't dedicated healers that people are treating them as. And as such, people don't like clerics because they aren't tanky and take a lot of damage because there's only so many dodges you can do before running out of stamina and have to let the 30 mobs pound your face into the ground.

Besides, Clerics slide, not roll >.>
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    liquidc86 wrote: »
    lol at you m8. t2 are easy, even castle never is cakewalk.
    CN is a cakewalk... really? Really...?
  • Options
    somnolence2somnolence2 Member Posts: 98
    edited May 2013
    Just buy from a gold seller, if the "fans" of the game say all the fake AD has been removed then the gold sellers must have legit AD given straight from Cryptic so it must be fair to purchase from them. think like 10 million is like 10 bucks.
    http://mmogfails.blogspot.com/ - because some times MMO's fail.
  • Options
    zavrinzavrin Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So i am wondering... 50 euro is about 5000 Zen.
    1 Worg companion is 4000 Zen = about 40 euro. That is alot of money for an ingame companion. Isn't it a bit crazy to pay that much? I surely won't pay that kind of money for it. I would be ok if it would be like 5 euro or something.
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zavrin wrote: »
    So i am wondering... 50 euro is about 5000 Zen.
    1 Worg companion is 4000 Zen = about 40 euro. That is alot of money for an ingame companion. Isn't it a bit crazy to pay that much? I surely won't pay that kind of money for it. I would be ok if it would be like 5 euro or something.

You mean mount, right?

Mounts are unlocked for each and every single character you roll, hence why this "high cost". They are meant as a purchase for all your characters.
    Characters:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Just buy from a gold seller, if the "fans" of the game say all the fake AD has been removed then the gold sellers must have legit AD given straight from Cryptic so it must be fair to purchase from them. think like 10 million is like 10 bucks.

Aren't you bored of making so many accounts to tank the forums?
    Characters:

• Options
    aienkoyaienkoy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013

10 million AD is about 120-130 USD.

Anyways,

You could just buy an initial amount of zen and exchange that to AD, then use that AD to flip zen on the AD Exchange. I do it all the time and if you're patient, you can make some big money.
    Just keep in mind that you can also lose it all if it's not your thing. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I had some ingame mails from gold sellors. They sell 1 million AD for 12 dollars and try to shove you a 10 million purchase for about 130, which is MORE expensive than 10 individual purchases. They're scammers even for this.
    Characters:

• Options
    zavrinzavrin Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    You mean mount, right?

Mounts are unlocked for each and every single character you roll, hence why this "high cost". They are meant as a purchase for all your characters.

Yes you are right, it's a mount. But still way too expensive. In RL you can get a whole game for 40 euros. So paying that for an ingame item (even if the game is F2P) just feels wrong.
    And btw the Galeb Duhr rock elemental is single purchase and 30 euros.

edit: typo
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    zavrin wrote: »
    Yes you are right, it's a mount. But still way too expensive. In RL you can get a whole game for 40 euros. So paying that for an ingame item (even if the game is F2P) just feels wrong.
    And btw the Galeb Duhr rock elemental is single purchase and 30 euros.

edit: typo

Do you really think so? Some 40 euro games have less than a 25 hour life-span. PS3 games cost roughly about 60 euros each and most of them can be cleared in a weekend. Same with many single player PC games, which are more and more like graphic novels that you walthrough once, then never pick them up again.

However, purchasing a cool mount in an MMO, which is game that always has things to do (leveling, crafting, achievements, beating content, PvP), may be a much more worthwhile investment in the longterm than any weekly game you can buy for a console. It's been a very long time since I consumed videogames (I had a PS2 for 6 months, though I've been mostly a Nintendo consumer and stopped not long before Wii came out) since they don't let you interact a lot and aren't a longterm entertainment.

The Galeb-Duhr is a vanity item (and I heard that he's a good pet). Though he isn't even the best companion you can buy - the Allure Stone costs way less and it's in fact, much better! Funny how things go.

I do have to give you credit though partially in some things. The costume models feel too expensive for me as they aren't unlocked for your account. I bought a costume for a character that I don't use a lot (my CW) and would had loved if it had been possible to send it for other toons, or every one getting one. Then I could combine them and make nice mixtures.

I'm okay with the dye price though, but honestly, without anything worth dying, I'm not buying them until I got a Tier 1 set.
    Characters: