Which race is the most optimal?

thelemmersthelemmers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Thieves' Den
Except drow cuz that **** costs $200
Post edited by thelemmers on

Comments

• couatl13couatl13 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Halfling. The +2 to Dex and Cha alone makes them worth playing. From there Drow (hush, dear, just pointing it out), Wood Elf, Half- Orc and then Human.
  • inexistinexist Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you don't have access to the Drow, which is easily the best for TR's imho, the next best would be H-Orc or Human. The bonuses they get can't be ignored.
  • thelemmersthelemmers Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When will drow be released for the rest of us?
  • b45h74571cb45h74571c Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thats exactly what i wanted to know. so drow seems to be the best?
    ive looked for this topic in other threads and there were the 3 most 'recommended' races half-orc, tiefling and halfling.
    i wouldnt count the drows because they arent released for non-founders atm. half-orcs have got +2dex/+2str, halflings +2dex/+2cha, and tieflings +2cha/+2con. so i think just from this point of view half-orcs and halflings seem to be better than the tiefling.
    the half-orcs have got furious assault, which makes there critical hits do 5% more dmg, the tieflings have got bloodhunt, so they deal 5% more dmg when the target's hp is below 50%. the halfling hasnt any good skill, which is comparible to these two.

so id say the half-orc should be the best option, then probably tiefling and afterwords the halfling.
    but i have to say, i havent played a tr yet, because i still figure out which race is the best for me (i want max out everything, but half-orcs are soo ugly -.-, so im still chosing) and because of this fact its just 'theorie crafting' what i just wrote, so maybe its not correct, i dont know for sure...
    and i also dont know, if the humans wouldnt be maybe better or maybe just on the same level like the 3, because of their extra feats? maybe they can use their extra points for good feats, which would minimize the advantage of the 5% higher critdmg (half orc) or the 5% more dmg for >50% hp mobs (tiefling)
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Depends.
    I like str, and rogue is crit based, making the half orc a natural for me. A rogue in pvp that wanted to be tougher might try dwarf for str/con. A high dex/cha dps might like tiefling. Halflings are also a natural choice. I think any of these could perform well. A human if you examine the builds and can allocate the 3 extra feat points in some interesting way (?). Elf or half elf have merits as well, but not as much IMHO.

I would rank half orc, halfling, and tiefling as the top 3 though.

Half orc does not have to be ugly. Spend some time in the cosmetic section when you make one and they can be decent looking. You cannot get rid of the teeth/tusks but you can reduce them or make them accent you with some work.

I dislike humans they seem so weak. The 3 feat points maybe, again, if you had something in MIND from the start. But their racial boosts are generally meh when compared to the damage boosters of orc & demon.... demon seems ideal.... encounters knock of 1/2 the health instantly, then you chew on them with your at-wills with boosted dps.... ouch!
  • braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just as an FYI, the later thief helmets are actually masks that cover the lower part of the face.... unless the clipping is VERY bad, I would think that would hide the half-orc tusks quite nicely. :)
  • b45h74571cb45h74571c Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes, its true, bot for me half orcs allways look like if they'd crashed against a window... with their flat faces, but nevermind.
    it seems to be that a half orc would be the best choice for a tr if you wanna get the maximum dmg. but im not sure about these drows... ive seen many drow tr, but i dont know their passives, if they'd be maybe even better than half orcs
  • pinkfontpinkfont Member Posts: 563 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I picked Halfling because I liked the class. Mix/Max'ing to the point of choosing a character you don't think looks cool is dumb.
    A rich rogue nowadays is fit company for any gentleman; and the world, my dear, hath not such a contempt for roguery as you imagine. - John HAMSTER
  • ragemonkey83ragemonkey83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    H- Orc even if drow was an option ( have $200 pack and still took H- orc )

reason being that all the stat mods at the creation are perfect for TR +2 Str and Dex

the extra crit dmg out ways that of the tiefling as long as you can get over 50% ( you can by the way )

I believe Str to be better than Char as it increases all dmg not just combat advantage dmg

so other than looking like the least stealthy TR on the block the H-orc is simply better.
  • trickyflokitrickyfloki Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    5% crit severity of half-orc is terrible compared to tieflings bonus damage. The reason is that the more crit severity you have (rogues almost always have 200%) the weaker that 5% becomes, no matter what your crit rate is. In addition the tieflings bonus damage is multiplied by crit severity (meaning that its worth close to 5% ish overall damage increase at 50% crit and 200% severity) and increases further with vorpal enchant and crit severity feats

edit: this just the severity vs. tiefling bonus damage, h-orc strength/dex bonus might outweigh this
  • zellistazellista Member Posts: 100 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Humans seem like the best choice for a stealth oriented build, since you can get both 5/5 improved cunning sneak AND 3/3 disciple of strength, making it better than horc's 2 dex/str depending on what you picked on the human. Pure dps Exec. builds should still stick to Horc imo.