test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would anyone else like traps to do more damage?

keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I'd like to see them be at least scale with level in PvE dungeons, but I'd also like the ability to edit their damage level for foundry missions to make them have the ability to One-Hit-Kill players, so rogues have a purpose past "Kill everything".

Or giving guardian fighters a role of walking first to set off (and block) all traps that the rogue doesn't see.
Post edited by keeganfox on

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For the foundry I played a little bit with them and you can stack several arrow traps to all fire at the same spot to make em deadly.
  • Options
    somnolence2somnolence2 Member Posts: 98
    edited May 2013
    traps should be doom.
    http://mmogfails.blogspot.com/ - because some times MMO's fail.
  • Options
    keeganfoxkeeganfox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tried that too, but not only does that require a rogue to disarm 6 traps to pass over it, if you go into the Foundry and respec your character to level 31 and walk over that same trap you'll see it does less than 1% of your total health in damage. They don't scale with your player.

There's also no manner I have found in the Foundry to take a standard item (tile, whatever) and have it trigger direct damage to a player.
  • Options
    fullmetalpopefullmetalpope Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Id like to see them one shot anyone who touches them, then you will need a special trap res from the Zen store.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'll save one of those exclusively for you in a foundry map I make. It'll be special though, and we won't let anyone else touch it.
  • Options
    chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your answers are biased. ;) I chose no, not because I think traps are uninteresting but because I think they're fine just the way they are.
  • Options
    atlanticx1atlanticx1 Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2013
    who cares of traps
    can see em defuse em avoid em
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Your answers are biased. ;) I chose no, not because I think traps are uninteresting but because I think they're fine just the way they are.

We can add options, but given my experiences with both traps and discussions with those in the game, most people ignore them as they just don't do enough to be a concern.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    atlanticx1 wrote: »
    who cares of traps
    can see em defuse em avoid em

We're very proud of you; but it raises the question: If you couldn't see them unless you were a Rogue, would your feelings change?
  • Options
    onodrakonodrak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    Traps do damage to monsters too. Powerful traps = lol free loot.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    onodrak wrote: »
    Traps do damage to monsters too. Powerful traps = lol free loot.

Monsters should just be flagged as immune to them.
  • Options
    srazysrazy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    They are double edged, people could use them to kite mobs to them and kill them easily. I recall people doing that on the skirmish in wolf den area, the gauntlet skirm, folks used to kite the mobs to the traps at the chests spawns and make short work of mobs and skirm bosses.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Traps are supposed to be a punishment as well as a hinderence.

There should be weak traps and there should be "OMG I Just got killed in a single shot!" traps.

I would love to see the trap system receive some loving from the developers. This includes expanding thieving to include lock-picking and fail chances although I would personally prefer the Second Edition system over the min-max nonsense we see in Third Edition.

Monsters should be immune, reduced damage or attempt to avoid traps*
    They set them. They shouldn't be walking/standing on them. ;)
  • Options
    nyysjannyysjan Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    Monsters should not be immune to traps, nor take lesser damage from them.
    Now, if they can make good enough AI so the monsters simply don't step on the traps, great, but traps should hurt anyone that sets foot in them.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    From what I've seen most monsters do try to actively avoid traps if they can see them, but it's very true that I've dragged spiders through traps before to kill them.

Having them react differently to monsters would probably be necessary. How differently would have to be a game mechanic choice decided by the devs.

It's nice to see people do want them to be a real threat in the game. I'd especially like to see ones that could deal a dosage of lethal poison, but not kill instantly. Maybe debilitate, so the person is stunned, on the ground, and dying, but not dead. Have the cleric 'bless' or cleanse them.

Suppose you'd also need an option to drag them out of the trap...I don't know that I've tested what happens if you're revived atop of a trap. That'd be rather annoying wouldn't it? *trap goes off* "URRRGHHH"...."I'll save you!" *stand up* "URRRGHGHH" "I'll save you!...."
  • Options
    dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    keeganfox wrote: »
    I'd like to see them be at least scale with level in PvE dungeons, but I'd also like the ability to edit their damage level for foundry missions to make them have the ability to One-Hit-Kill players, so rogues have a purpose past "Kill everything".

Or giving guardian fighters a role of walking first to set off (and block) all traps that the rogue doesn't see.

I agree, as traps are now, they are thrown in as window dressing since they are expected in D&D, but serve no real purpose, even rogues stop taking the time to disable them they are so negligible. If they are going to be pointless, remove them, a trap that isn't deadly is just wasting our time. If however they become deadly, then you start making interesting decisions about how to deal with them. Got a rogue? Disarming is good. Got a GF? Have him trigger it with his shield up, or GWF trigger it with his Determination running. Or try jumping past if you think you'll make it. Those are compelling traps. What we have now are just red spot clutter to remind us traps are supposed to be in dungeons, like the devs were just filling out the dungeon builders checklist, but without serving any meaningful purpose.

PS: You get in deep regarding AI and whether a monster should or shouldn't recognize a trap, a monster with human like intelligence might, a spider or wolf wouldn't, kobolds and goblins it becomes real iffy since they are usually fairly stupid creatures. I would keep traps harming monsters, and just call it tactics when they are used against the mobs. If it becomes exploitable on a dungeon boss or two, isolate and fix those issues specifically.
  • Options
    bori4bori4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    Make them able to kill, and give Rogues XP for disarming them. It is D&D after all.
    Bori - Renegade Drow - 40 Trickster Rogue - Mindflayer
    Elocin - Renegade Drow - 39 Devoted Cleric of Selune - Mindflayer

Looking for some Dust of Forum Troll Disappearance
    ? Sprinkle this on any troll to phase shift them out of your plane of existence. ;)

• Options
    jayws84jayws84 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    I don't know about one-shoting the player, but as a GF nearing level 50 I have yet to feel like I need to be careful around traps and I feel like my ability to spot traps is pretty lame. Sure, I go around them when I see them. But the rest of my party doesn't. And the ones I accidentally step on are easily brushed off. Would love to see more traps that don't simply damage you, but that actually might give you some longer debuffs and stun or daze you for a significant amount of time. Force players to worry about traps.
  • Options
    dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jayws84 wrote: »
    I don't know about one-shoting the player, but as a GF nearing level 50 I have yet to feel like I need to be careful around traps and I feel like my ability to spot traps is pretty lame. Sure, I go around them when I see them. But the rest of my party doesn't. And the ones I accidentally step on are easily brushed off. Would love to see more traps that don't simply damage you, but that actually might give you some longer debuffs and stun or daze you for a significant amount of time. Force players to worry about traps.

I think one shot traps are fine, not all of them, but there should be some, especially since there are campfires in dungeons and quest areas every 5 feet it seems. I think there should be setups where one trap leads you into another, like jumping over the spike trap lands you into a pit trap (there should be pit traps), there also needs to be traps that push, pull, slide players off cliffs and ledges, or into other traps unless dodged. Really get sadistic with it, as it is now, the traps feel sprinkled in where "they should be" again like its a part of a checklist, not actually the design of a predator or psychopath who intended to kill intruders/trap prey with them.
  • Options
    xunxanxunxan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd rather see traps removed altogether from the game.
    Traps are great elements of D&D, but NWO has absolutely nothing to do with D&D. It's a DPS focused Hack & Slash MMO.
  • Options
    ziggie72ziggie72 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would say yes, but only if traps were disarm-able during combat too.
    As soon as I try to disarm a trap which is near mobs and I get drawn into combat, I can no longer disarm them - this while soloing.
    In a group, if any of my team-members is engaged in combat, I cannot disarm traps either.
    So, if you allow me to disarm traps while I am in combat, then by all means make the damage from them bigger.
  • Options
    snorri30snorri30 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I vote for more traps scaling with the level player! no doubt it'll be more funny :D
  • Options
    lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    keeganfox wrote: »

I think traps are really annoying when used randomly through a dungeon... If the traps were used strategically to kill NPCs is one thing but most are just randomly scattered around as annoying gotchas.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • Options
    llewelyn89llewelyn89 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Does anyone know the detect mechanism? I see most as red without tripping them, spot most of the rest by the 'giveaway' textures and floor slots. I've hit maybe 5-10 undetected to lvl 60. I'm pretty sure it's not a GF skill - maybe it's a dwarf thing or because I move slower than most and get more perception tests?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> so I'm in favor of traps both scaling, and scaling to the ability to kill players, but not simply manually set as part of the dungeon. What does that mean? Dynamic trap creation.

It'd be harder to implement based on what I've seen of the foundry and replaying missions. Right now it seems everything is static. If you replay a mission, it's exactly the same, every time. I'd prefer dynamic content changes. Dynamic based on chance, and dynamic based on the class of the player. We already have foundry missions that make things 'appear' if a player has a certain skill. It'd be nice if the dungeon could tell who is playing and adjust elements based on the classes and skills of the players. This is clearly a massive update I'm talking about, so let's not get too much into that. All I'd like to see from this is the ability for traps to be more random through the map (instead of that some slightly-different-colored tile that's there every time) and perhaps only detectable by certain classes/races of certain levels, based on the damage. All those values would have to be figured out, and applied to the traps during the creation of the instance, but there's really nothing stopping that from happening apart from the time it would take to implement it.

It'd be the first thing I've seen resembling a Dungeon Master, which would be nice in a game based off D&D.