test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why does praying give so much XP

eolorneolorn Member Posts: 9 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
So I haven't been able to play much over the last few days so I pop in every once in a while to set some more crafting tasks and, since I'm sitting in a campfire, I figure I might as well pray. It gives decent AD, cash and buffs. But it also gives XP....A LOT it seems. Just a minute ago one character got 1500 and another got 800. That's every hour (to be fair, sometimes they get none).

In maybe 15 minutes total (over the course of a few days) both characters have leveled 5 times (also to be fair, some of that was xp from crafting).

It just seems like a lot of benefit for praying once an hour.
Post edited by eolorn on

Comments

• Options
    clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It diminishes over the course of a IRL day. The first time you pray on a character you will get the most.

I think it may also increase if you go some time without doing it..Kinda like rested xp in other games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quote Originally Posted by roents
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • Options
    onodrakonodrak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    You don't get XP every hour. I would aneqdotally say something like every 6h you get XP.
  • Options
    pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it's just a different way of giving the 'rested xp' bonus' that other games offer. As noted, it's ruled by the law of diminishing returns
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    kaskiankaskian Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wait until level 60, you get a whopping 4500 XP at the least for praying

AMAZIN.. wait, i'm level 60...

nothing-matters.gif
    Kie - Renegade Drow - Wizard | Orion - Half Elf - Cleric | Kia - Tiefling - Rogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    laufwurmlaufwurm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, but it is indeed a problem. I mostly play on weekends (work, etc.), but (just as the OP described) do some profession task and praying during the week - and I get a lot of XP for that. In fact I get so much that I have to pay attention not to outlevel any skirmishes that might become unavaillable, which is the core problem for me.
  • Options
    clockwerkninjaclockwerkninja Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think it is one of the cooler twists on an old system in this game..

That said, I do think the xp rate is dramatically low in this game..You could double the needed xp and it would feel to fast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It's an "open beta" that can't be wiped even in the midst of multiple economy destroying exploits. FUN
  • Options
    silentiltmsilentiltm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 234 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Use it to level your companions...
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kaskian wrote: »
    Wait until level 60, you get a whopping 4500 XP at the least for praying

AMAZIN.. wait, i'm level 60...

It's good for helping level companions at least so I'm not complaining.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    onodrak wrote: »
    You don't get XP every hour. I would aneqdotally say something like every 6h you get XP.

No, you specifically get XP (and AD) the first three times you pray each day. The most the first time, less the second time, the least the third time.

edit: and yeah, I kind of wish it didn't give XP. Or at least no so much. I'm an altaholic, so I've got a bunch of characters. I want the daily coin, and the AD. Not as fond of the way those characters are leveling out of the range of whatever content they were at (quests, dungeons, skirmishes) just because I happen to be focussing on one of the other ones this week.
  • Options
    zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    onodrak wrote: »

I get XP, (AD, a random consumable and a buff) every hour I invoke for the first 3 invokes each new day (WITH diminishing returns.) After that I only get a buff until the new day starts. This is for all 11 characters on my account.
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • Options
    eolorneolorn Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    laufwurm wrote: »
    Yeah, but it is indeed a problem. I mostly play on weekends (work, etc.), but (just as the OP described) do some profession task and praying during the week - and I get a lot of XP for that. In fact I get so much that I have to pay attention not to outlevel any skirmishes that might become unavaillable, which is the core problem for me.

Exactly the problem, I didn't realize you could outlevel content (as in, could not queue for it). now I'm in an unfortunate position of never having played at least one tier of content (in the long run it won't matter as any gear would be long replaced. Just hate to miss stuff. I too like the daily coin and the AD so it's hard to pass that up.

Maybe they could have a "lock" level button that you see in a long of MMOs.
  • Options
    vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually agree with the OP im a RPer so I spend a lot of days not leveling nor do I want to level
    cause im also a badge junkie. Also I often team with my hubby but only on weekends since we
    both work so that means I have to literally avoid invocation during the week on that character
    to not risk out leveling him, or skirmishes, or dungeons, or quests.

I don't mind the leadership exp cause I can CHOOSE to take the missions with xp or to avoid them
    It would be better if you must give xp give a xp scroll that stacks so me and hubby can use them together

STO had a similar issue where the duty officer missions all brought back so much exp I outleveled stuff.
    but in sto all missions adjusted for level and would adjust everyone to the party leaders level so there
    was no risk of not being able to get badges or play with friends. NWO doesn't have those nice features.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually like it because there are times when some of the weaker classes can get slaughtered at certain points. This way I can get a level or 2 without having to fight past incredibly hard solo fights.
  • Options
    edgenwedgenw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I often team with my hubby but only on weekends since we both work so that means I have to literally avoid invocation during the week on that character to not risk out leveling him, or skirmishes, or dungeons, or quests.

This is along the lines of the problem I'm having. It's really irritating because I'm missing out on a source of AD by having to avoid invocations. I wish they would just give players an XP scroll to either use or toss.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    edgenw wrote: »
    This is along the lines of the problem I'm having. It's really irritating because I'm missing out on a source of AD by having to avoid invocations. I wish they would just give players an XP scroll to either use or toss.

This is also an issue with Leadership. Probably easier for them to just have a checkbox somewhere to turn off EXP gain.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    ddamaddddamadd Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    Don't want to level, don't play the game.
  • Options
    edgenwedgenw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ddamadd wrote: »

Don't want to post something useless, don't touch the keyboard.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ddamadd wrote: »

Most normal people wouldn't regard logging in for five seconds to hit ctrl-I to be "playing a game."
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    glanniganglannigan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 463 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    So what is going on? Are we complaining about Praying now and bout how it gives us XP?

Well the good news is we must finally be running our of these for you guys to freak out over. Bad news is, whats the point? Bring it to everyone attention and hope they lower it?
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    glannigan wrote: »
    So what is going on? Are we complaining about Praying now and bout how it gives us XP?

Well the good news is we must finally be running our of these for you guys to freak out over. Bad news is, whats the point? Bring it to everyone attention and hope they lower it?

The ability to turn off XP gains in an MMO is not novel.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    glannigan wrote: »

Please explain how the XP gains becoming optional (via an XP scroll to use or an XP toggle) would destroy your world.
  • Options
    rycegamingrycegaming Member Posts: 59
    edited May 2013
    eolorn wrote: »
    So I haven't been able to play much over the last few days so I pop in every once in a while to set some more crafting tasks and, since I'm sitting in a campfire, I figure I might as well pray. It gives decent AD, cash and buffs. But it also gives XP....A LOT it seems. Just a minute ago one character got 1500 and another got 800. That's every hour (to be fair, sometimes they get none).

In maybe 15 minutes total (over the course of a few days) both characters have leveled 5 times (also to be fair, some of that was xp from crafting).

It just seems like a lot of benefit for praying once an hour.

What kind of idiot whine about exp being too good?
  • Options
    erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    laufwurm wrote: »

This is the problem I am having as well. I would love it if they would double or triple the experience needed per level so I could do all the dailies each day without outleveling everything. Some people have even said it is possible to outlevel solo quests to the point that the quest givers won't even let you have the quests meaning you can never do them. I seriously hope that is not correct or at least that they will eventually allow us to do quests we have outleveled so we can see what they are like even if they give no experience.

Since I don't see them greatly raising the experience per level I would settle for a way to turn experience gain off temporarily, though I am not really a fan of having to do so as it makes me feel like I am wasting potential experience that I would rather be able to use for something productive.
  • Options
    erethizon1erethizon1 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rycegaming wrote: »

Well there are two reasons. One, some of us find being level capped incredibly boring. End game raids were added to MMORPG's so the 1% of people that were sitting around at the cap would have some pointless treadmill to run on so they would not have to leave the game with nothing to do. End game isn't fun. It is boring and repetitive. The fun part of the game is growing your character, not sitting at a level cap repeating the exact same content over and over to get gear that you will replace as soon as a new dungeon is released.

Two, leveling too fast causes you to miss some of the very limited supply of content that there is. If it is true that you can outlevel the ability to even pick up solo quests then those quests are gone forever. If you level too fast you also miss skirmishes and dungeons. I have still never had a successful run of the mad dragon because as soon as I hit level 35 this level 34 dungeon was something I could no longer queue for. If they made it so that you could join a skirmish or dungeon if you were 5 (or maybe even more) levels above the dungeon level that would help a lot, but as it stands now if you take a few days off from the game and only craft leadership and pray you will probably come back to find you are never going to be able to queue for some content that you outleveled in the meantime.
  • Options
    ddamaddddamadd Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Most normal people wouldn't regard logging in for five seconds to hit ctrl-I to be "playing a game."

Even with two ssd's it takes me much longer than five seconds to log in. ctrl-I prays? Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rycegaming wrote: »

The kind that don't want their characters to level past content. I have several characters I use just to Invoke and work on Leadership. I'm fine with those guys leveling up past everything. A few more I intend to actually play though. Means I have to choose between doing everything or getting celestial coins and astral diamonds on them and missing out on stuff.

In this game you can easily outlevel content. And then sometimes its just gone. Once you are past the levels for a skirmish you can't do it anymore. I missed out on stuff in one area because I did it in the wrong order. (Knox had quests for 2 areas for me.) When I went back to it I could only do one quest. When I finished the one, the NPCs there would not give me anymore.

*Its really not that big of a deal. Just a little annoying. I don't understand why people freak out when someone asks for a way to turn XP off though.*
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    bori4bori4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 82
    edited May 2013
    Noone makes you hit Ctrl-I :D If you can't stop yourself touching things that give instant gratification, tie boxing gloves on your hands.
    Bori - Renegade Drow - 40 Trickster Rogue - Mindflayer
    Elocin - Renegade Drow - 39 Devoted Cleric of Selune - Mindflayer

Looking for some Dust of Forum Troll Disappearance
    ? Sprinkle this on any troll to phase shift them out of your plane of existence. ;)

• Options
    edited May 2013
    bori4 wrote: »
    Noone makes you hit Ctrl-I :D If you can't stop yourself touching things that give instant gratification, tie boxing gloves on your hands.

I can't believe people are so dense as to not understand this. Not everyone can play every day. Sometimes they can only spare a couple days per week to really play the game. However, people like to make sure they're at least popping on long enough to keep the celestial tokens from resetting, which means visiting the game for 30 seconds each day. Following me so far?

Now, what happens when you invoke to reset your celestial token timer? You get XP. Even if you would prefer not to.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Why is everyone bent out of shape when players give feedback on BETA forums?

A lot of players feel the XP rate is childishly low. Everyone I play with has mentioned it. This is not complaining, it is feedback that can be used to launch a decent game..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]