test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will crafting be worthwhile?

regnorvexregnorvex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I don't intend to sell anything, I would just like to make my own gear if its respectable. But will I ever be able to craft BIS gear or is that left to T2 dungeons? Will I at least be able to craft gear that is better than anything dropped in open world play, regular leveling gear?

Thanks
"Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes
Post edited by regnorvex on

Comments

• quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Crafting makes Shirts and Pants that are best-in-slot, or at least best that aren't absurdly rare. The normal armor slots, though, you're better off with T2s.
  • braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tried to level up Leathercrafting AS I leveled up experience-wise, but even so I hit 60 long before I could make anything (aside from shirts and pants) that was actually useful. At skill 15 (out of 20) I think the highest level gear I can make is 40th or so... and I suspect that even if I am able to make level 60 gear it won't be WORTH making. =/
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yup, crafting is mainly for shirts/pants at the moment. If you don't feel like doing a profession for just that right now, at least pick up Leadership to occupy idle task slots.
  • aaronjfaaronjf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Like others have stated, crafting for the most part is for a shirt/pants upgrade. The gear that you make, by the time you can finally make it, doesn't even compare to what drops. The one profitable trade in my mind is leadership because you can get chests that drop blue tradeskill items which you can resell for some coin. Also, you get free AD through it. The leather, plate, mail, tailoring are all just good for shirts/pants tho since those don't seem to drop in game..
  • awaveawave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104
    edited May 2013
    It's probably cheaper to just buy the pants and shirt from AH than to waste your time & money leveling up the professions.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    awave wrote: »
    It's probably cheaper to just buy the pants and shirt from AH than to waste your time & money leveling up the professions.
    That depends on how much crafting you expect to do. If you just want to outfit your own characters, then yes it'll most likely be far cheaper to just buy on the AH (once it's back up). If you invest in the tools/workers, you should also expect to invest in materials (mainly Residuum, Arcane Shards and Dragon Eggs) and go for the long term, which means you'll be one of the people putting pants and shirts up on AH.
  • awesomeincarnateawesomeincarnate Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can't make new threads yet so I'm posting here in hopes of getting an answer. When I started learning to craft, I thought I remember seeing a message that said there is some sort of mobile app or something that would let me continue to manage my crafting from a mobile device. I haven't been able to find an app like this. Did I actually see this message or am I confusing it with something else? If it does exist where can I find this app?
  • harbingerdrumharbingerdrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Not sure about APP but the site for remote crafting is

https://gateway.playneverwinter.com/

Also not sure what is available to see without a current character. But it works once you do have a character, so...
    the Book Binding series by @HarbingerDrum ----> Help Defeat Lolth's Minions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1- 20, 2- 35, 3- 18, 4- 20 min
    Comments to ->
    the Book Binding
  • awesomeincarnateawesomeincarnate Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh ok cool thanks, that is super helpful.
  • regnorvexregnorvex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    Ah ok thanks, folks. Shirts and pants it is, for now, then. The mobile gateway is pretty neat, being able to log in on my iPad and keep giving my guys tasks is fun. Question: will I need to invest a lot of AD into mats for the BIS shirt and pants, or will I be able to get everything I need by just crafting my way up? FYI, I took Mailsmithing and Leadership and am leveling both up simultaneously. I figured the mats that would come from Leadership would help whatever crafting I was doing.
    "Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • khazaadkhazaad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    Crafting is your player advancement time tax. Don't ask questions. Just do it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If it does exist where can I find this app?
    There is currently no official app for gateway, any app you find on either app store is likely to be an attempt to get your account details.
    regnorvex wrote: »
    Question: will I need to invest a lot of AD into mats for the BIS shirt and pants, or will I be able to get everything I need by just crafting my way up?
    Residuum is an uncommon resource, you should NOT expect to get enough for your needs from the Leadership rewards. The 5 Celestial Coin box is likely going to be a good place to get it, but you'll likely also need to do some trading on the AH and gathering from nodes during Profession events. Arcane Shards are rare and are used for many high level blue (ie. rare) tasks, you should not expect to get any of these from Leadership tasks (but it is possible). Dragon Eggs are used for the top tier (gemmed purple) Shirts/Pants and are iirc impossible to get from any Leadership task, you'll need luck if you want to find them yourself (spending lots of Zen on Profession Booster packs is an option of course), otherwise you have to buy from others who got lucky.
  • shad99shad99 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aaronjf wrote: »
    The leather, plate, mail, tailoring are all just good for shirts/pants tho since those don't seem to drop in game..

My DC has both a blue shirt and blue pants drops from dungeons before getting to 60... So some do drop, it's just rare. In fact so rare none of my other 4 characters has ever gotten one.