test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just a quick question before I download the game...

smurfychrissmurfychris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)

Is it pay to win? Or is the cash shop more for looks?
Post edited by smurfychris on

Comments

• xelqyplaxelqypla Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It'd be best if you defined what you think "Pay to win" is.
  • smurfychrissmurfychris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xelqypla wrote: »
    It'd be best if you defined what you think "Pay to win" is.

Sorry I should of been more clear, like buy stuff that makes you more powerful than the next person, like a stat booster or something, or special armors.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No , by your definition it is not pay to win.
  • vernoinferno71vernoinferno71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    You can play this game without paying a dime. That being said, paying money will make the game "easier" for you. You will have a 1% chance to win at endgame unless you pay real monies.
  • bringerofreddawnbringerofreddawn Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You can play this game without paying a dime. That being said, paying money will make the game "easier" for you. You will have a 1% chance to win at endgame unless you pay real monies.

I wonder where you pulled that number from...
  • zoroasterrzoroasterr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    even if p2w you can get all the cashshop stuff with spending enough time.fact is as in every f2p game ppl who spend money in the game can reach their goals much faster.
  • kyuvenkyuven Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the cash shop is more for alleviating tedious aspects, and remember that ANYTHING IN THE CASH SHOP CAN BE EARNED WITH IN-GAME CURRENCY, by trading AD for Zen.
    You don't need to spend one red cent on this game, and anything from the cash shop you could possibly want can be earned in-game.
  • kaskiankaskian Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ffs.......
    Kie - Renegade Drow - Wizard | Orion - Half Elf - Cleric | Kia - Tiefling - Rogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xratasxratas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    More like pay to make things smooth. Respeccing costs money, so read and think before you commit too much on character powers & feats if you don't feel like paying. Decent mount is much easier to get by paying, and is quite important to have. Pretty much everything else is easily done without paying anything IMO.

Edit: even those 1% wards can be gained through invocations, if you're in no hurry. It just takes quite a bit of daily logins.
  • mistriosumistriosu Member Posts: 279 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's not pay to win in the normal sense, but it can be due to the fact that you can trade IRL money (Zen) for ingame money (Astral Diamonds)
    edited May 2013
    kyuven wrote: »
    the cash shop is more for alleviating tedious aspects, and remember that ANYTHING IN THE CASH SHOP CAN BE EARNED WITH IN-GAME CURRENCY, by trading AD for Zen.
    You don't need to spend one red cent on this game, and anything from the cash shop you could possibly want can be earned in-game.

OK thanks and that's cool and how I hope i would be, though this comment has me worried 'You will have a 1% chance to win at endgame unless you pay real monies.' Can anyone elaborate on that? Thanks for the replies.
  • xratasxratas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I edited already a bit about that into my last post, but endgame enchantments need wards that can only be bought with Zen, or gained through invocations once per week, if you log in every day.
  • shaedrisshaedris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can absolutely get everything without spending money. In that sense, Neverwinter is not "P2W" but pay for convenience.
    That said, prices are quite high in the zen store and things like a respec or more character slots could take you a week or two of ingame "work". Depends on how efficient you are at diamond gathering. There are a ton of ways to make AD/Zen if you really want something.
    You may be frustrated if you really want an epic mount and frequent respecs and several companions. If you plan your characters out a little, it's fine though.
  • mistriosumistriosu Member Posts: 279 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    OK thanks and that's cool and how I hope i would be, though this comment has me worried 'You will have a 1% chance to win at endgame unless you pay real monies.' Can anyone elaborate on that? Thanks for the replies.
    Most things in the cash shop cost 2,000-3,000 Zen (mounts and companions), character slots around 500 zen.
    The zen/AD ratio is at about 380 AD for 1 zen right now.

So you'd have to have 190,000 AD to buy an extra character slot. You make 24kAD a day MAX, if you don't get lucky with drops and sell them (anything that isn't a lvl 60 blue or higher will not sell for anything).
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can do anything without paying . No fee for warzones , no fee to get past level 15 , no fee to access certain maps .
    It truly is F2P . but if you want to do stuff faster , or fix mistakes , or have more inventory it cost ZEN .
    I like the game the combat is truly addictive . Just follow the story and you will get a taste of everything leveling up . Plus 2 bags as quest rewards .
  • hardpeck1hardpeck1 Member Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    I have cleared all current game content on two different characters.

I haven't exploited. I haven't spent a dime on this game.

It was easy.
  • wodgotwodgot Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    It's pay2win, and let me explain how.

It's pay2win because things on the Auction House cost Astral Diamonds and you can buy/exchange for Astral Diamonds with Zen, the cash currency.

The only way this game isn't considered pay2win is if you are one of those players who doesn't care about having best in slot gear for many months and doesn't mind getting destroyed at pvp and getting out-dps'ed in dungeons by everyone who already has it from spending cash.
  • bringerofreddawnbringerofreddawn Member Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mistriosu wrote: »
    Most things in the cash shop cost 2,000-3,000 Zen (mounts and companions), character slots around 500 zen.
    The zen/AD ratio is at about 380 AD for 1 zen right now.

So you'd have to have 190,000 AD to buy an extra character slot. You make 24kAD a day MAX, if you don't get lucky with drops and sell them (anything that isn't a lvl 60 blue or higher will not sell for anything).

You've never sold stuff, have you?
    Items below lvl 60 sell just fine, actually. I've sold tons of rares from my under-60 dungeon runs.
    Also, getting 190k can be as easy as 1 T1 epic run...
  • soulinesssouliness Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    c'mon... Neverwinter isn't p2w?!? soooooo funny :D
    if the nw fanboys want to know what "not p2w, pure cosmetical items" means check out Path of exile: a bugs-free game, customizable, from a great company.
    It's an ARPG, not a MMORPG, but you MUST try it!
  • baronvonboombaronvonboom Member Posts: 536 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Is it pay to win? Or is the cash shop more for looks?

Dont download it..

Not because it may be as you say 'Pay2Win' but more for the fact that im sick of all you F2P locusts moaning about stuff..

Its free you selfish little child..
    edited May 2013
    Dont download it..

Not because it may be as you say 'Pay2Win' but more for the fact that im sick of all you F2P locusts moaning about stuff..

You realize people "moan" about that stuff (which btw, op was hardly moaning) because there are free to play games out there that don't pull any stupid pay2win bull****, and people enjoy those games a lot more than the pay2win ones, so they want to know what they're getting themselves into before they download a new game... and who better to ask than the community? So, grow up.
    edited May 2013
    Dont download it..

You cheeky little kid lol. On a side note I would much rather pay a monthly fee for all my games than the free <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, but it has this model so...
    edited May 2013
    wodgot wrote: »
    You realize people moan about that stuff because there are free to play games out there that don't pull any stupid pay2win bull****, and people enjoy those games a lot more than the pay2win ones, so they want to know what they're getting themselves into before they download a new game... and who better to ask than the community? So, grow up.

Hush now, if paying is any sort of a hassle then maybe you shouldnt be playing games.. Life isnt free my friend and until you grow up yourself i doubt you'll realise that..

If you think this is P2W then jog on...
    edited May 2013
    You realize people "moan" about that stuff (which btw, op was hardly moaning) because there are free to play games out there that don't pull any stupid pay2win bull****, and people enjoy those games a lot more than the pay2win ones, so they want to know what they're getting themselves into before they download a new game... and who better to ask than the community? So, grow up.

Exactly this. I wasn't trolling or anything aha, me and some friends are just thinking of something to play ^
    edited May 2013
    Hush now, if paying is any sort of a hassle then maybe you shouldnt be playing games.. Life isnt free my friend and until you grow up yourself i doubt you'll realise that..

If you think this is P2W then jog on...

You're missing my point. Your post, nor my reply to your post, has anything to do with what I think about the game. You were cutting down the op for asking a simple question, and I'm telling you that you had no reason to react to his post like that, and that you look foolish for doing so.
  • l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You can buy every piece of armor you need on the Auction House to Gear yourself up and unlock every dungeon without playing one of em. You can buy Mounts that are the fastest and leveled up for you already. You can buy companions that go up to level 30 and are more powerful than the regular companions. You can buy enchantments and runes to make your companions and your armor better....
    You can purchase the most powerful weapons on the Auction house without even going into a dungeon.

Define what you call Pay to Win. My definition is YES it's PAY TO WIN!

Edit:I forgot... you can purchase ZEN which you can then turn into Astral Diamonds to purchase whatever you like on the Auction House or from people outright.
    edited May 2013
    You're missing my point. Your post, nor my reply to your post, has anything to do with what I think about the game. You were cutting down the op for asking a simple question, and I'm telling you that you had no reason to react to his post like that, and that you look foolish for doing so.

Not really, im highlighting peoples sense of self entitlement..

Its a free to play game, if the first question is 'is it pay to win' then maybe its not for you as the majority of free to play games have some catch.
    If youve played any mmo's before its almost a null question to be asking in the first place as like i say they all are to some degree, so only highlights someones need to be fully satisfied that is F2P..

If you dont wanna spend any money on playing these types of games because you feel it will impair your performance at some stage then maybe dont play this type of game.

This forum and game as a whole seems to have one of the worst communities i have ever seen, with every second thread a complaint that something isnt fair or this isnt right, with the majority of those complaints no doubt coming from F2P locusts.

Look what has happened to this game in the past week?? Destroyed by peoples greed so forgive me to be a little angered by the constant querying of P2W or 'overpriced'

No money ..then go home.. dont mind that theres a cash shop then play an shut the hell up..
    edited May 2013
    Not really, im highlighting peoples sense of self entitlement..

Its a free to play game, if the first question is 'is it pay to win' then maybe its not for you as the majority of free to play games have some catch.
    If youve played any mmo's before its almost a null question to be asking in the first place as like i say they all are to some degree, so only highlights someones need to be fully satisfied that is F2P..

If you dont wanna spend any money on playing these types of games because you feel it will impair your performance at some stage then maybe dont play this type of game.

This forum and game as a whole seems to have one of the worst communities i have ever seen, with every second thread a complaint that something isnt fair or this isnt right, with the majority of those complaints no doubt coming from F2P locusts.

Look what has happened to this game in the past week?? Destroyed by peoples greed so forgive me to be a little angered by the constant querying of P2W or 'overpriced'

No money ..then go home.. dont mind that theres a cash shop then play an shut the hell up..

So basically what you're saying is it's pay 2 win and you hate people who don't like that.
    Sorry I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to say or not, but I'm assuming you are trying to answer OPs question somewhere in that mess of a post.