test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guard and Marks improvements

imobiusimobius Member Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
While i love my Guardian, i think both the Guard system and the Mark system need some work.
Mark should initially taunt, instead of Aggrevating Strike. Aggrevating Strike should instead build extra threat when used. Considering how easily our Tab 'special power' is replaced by abilities that place marks in addition to other things, such as Threatening Rush.

Additionally, the Guard system needs more active regeneration, not just limited to Tide of Iron, preferably spread across At Will abilities or Encounter abilities. I often feel pigeonholed into using Tide of Iron or Shield Slam for Guard restores.

While i don't mind the whole "DPS Guardian" thing, i didn't decide to play a Guardian to become a DPS.
I still think the primairy job of a Tank is to crowd control by positioning, taunting and damage support (in this case through combat advantage) and Damage/mitigation as a secondary role.
As of now, there is no threat management, so no crowd control. Meaning our only alternative is damage.

I don't expect any major changes, but i surely hope that the improvements to Guardians aren't limited to just buffing threat generation. Because that would just be a bandaid fix to tanking viability.
Post edited by imobius on

Comments

• Options
    gummibear2gummibear2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Enforced threat, into the fray and iron warrior is all rebuilding your guard meter as well, and that is from just a quick lookover of the powers, im bet there is at least a couple feats helping with it too on top, so that part is already covered
  • Options
    jipatsujipatsu Member Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    so we would need to change 2 damage dealing encounters for exchange of one self and one group buff? With this change, then comes up the threat problem.

The GF mechanic sounds like a two headed sword at this moment. No matter which way you hold it, you end up impaling yourself when you trip on top of it.

So with dps oriented build you can keep up the threat but take quite much of damage which you survive somehow. With more tankier build, you build up your guard more, but then the enemies are on your team hitting them instead of you.
  • Options
    imobiusimobius Member Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jipatsu wrote: »
    so we would need to change 2 damage dealing encounters for exchange of one self and one group buff? With this change, then comes up the threat problem.

The GF mechanic sounds like a two headed sword at this moment. No matter which way you hold it, you end up impaling yourself when you trip on top of it.

So with dps oriented build you can keep up the threat but take quite much of damage which you survive somehow. With more tankier build, you build up your guard more, but then the enemies are on your team hitting them instead of you.

I'm really confused about this reply.

gummibear2 wrote: »
    Enforced threat, into the fray and iron warrior is all rebuilding your guard meter as well, and that is from just a quick lookover of the powers, im bet there is at least a couple feats helping with it too on top, so that part is already covered

I'm not talking about cooldown based bonus regeneration. Encounter abilities are supposed to be situational enhancements or damage/mitigation/healing.
    I'm talking about the overall regeneration mechanic of Guard, wich is passive.
    If Guard was generated more actively through At Will abilities, not limited to Tide of Iron, then the choices between restoring Guard to maximize mitigation or dealing damage/controlling targets becomes much more meaningful.
  • Options
    jipatsujipatsu Member Posts: 94
    edited May 2013
    ^ sorry, my reply was directed towards gummibear2
  • Options
    novronnovron Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You also have knight's valor to also to reduce that damage and build threat on you.
  • Options
    novronnovron Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You also have knight's valor to also to reduce that damage and build threat on you.