test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

When is micro-transactions not micro?

arifmitarifmit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I was looking into respeccing my toon at lv 60 and noticed that it is going to cost $6. Looking further I see that alot of zen items are actually quiet expensive like enchanted keys.

I want to buy a bunch of things like keys, respecs and more toon slots but the grand total is way too much. I always figured a micro transaction based game would be like selling respecs for $1 and keys for $0.25, not 1.25 for keys and $6 for a respec
Post edited by arifmit on

Comments

• traciatim1traciatim1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    arifmit wrote: »
    I was looking into respeccing my toon at lv 60 and noticed that it is going to cost $6. Looking further I see that alot of zen items are actually quiet expensive like enchanted keys.

I want to buy a bunch of things like keys, respecs and more toon slots but the grand total is way too much. I always figured a micro transaction based game would be like selling respecs for $1 and keys for $0.25, not 1.25 for keys and $6 for a respec

Welcome to free to play, the money sucking vacuum of overpriced nothingness.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It is 2013 Micro ;) Where you could get a big mac for a 1.25 (now it is like 3.50)
    I use to remember getting a can of 12oz pop for like 25cent. now it is $1 in some vending machine or even $1.50
    welcome to inflation ;)

(sarcasm off)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When it's in EvE Online :P
  • arifmitarifmit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah, its really unfortunate, instead of getting some of my money, now they aren't going to get any of it b/c i don't want to spend astronomical amounts of virtual items.
    edited May 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    It is 2013 Micro ;) Where you could get a big mac for a 1.25 (now it is like 3.50)
    I use to remember getting a can of 12oz pop for like 25cent. now it is $1 in some vending machine or even $1.50
    welcome to inflation ;)

(sarcasm off)
    It is cute how you think you are the only one to remember buying soda for $0.25
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

nah. there are many of us still remember who still play games :)

note: I do agree that Zen prices is a bit high, but cause I'm cheap!
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • psiwuffpsiwuff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree that NWOs microtransactions are anything but "micro". 30 bucks to get a mount to max speed, 40 for a mount, 30 for a companion that is better than any other, 10 bucks for a bag, 6-10 for bank slots that arent even account wide..

I was happy to sink 200 bucks into the game at first because hey, cryptic has made fun games in the past that I really enjoyed. But I since regret not taking the 60 bucks one for a better companion, very nice mount, and less useless fluff.I won't be putting any more money into the game, that treshold of buying simply is too high. Why buy a companion when I cna get a GAME for just a bit more? If it was cheaper, I'd be probably sinking quite some money into it, but as it stands, it nudges you too hard toward the cash shop, and its too expensive for me to bother and feel invested in the game.
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah, its really unfortunate, instead of getting some of my money, now they aren't going to get any of it b/c i don't want to spend astronomical amounts of virtual items.

Don't worry, there is plenty of people who will provide many regardless.
  • pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As old as some of us are... Remembering what pop IS is worth bragging about!;)
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

You can use the Astral Diamond exchange to sell your in-game currency for Zen which you can use to buy things on the Zen Market.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When did they ever advertise the game had "micro transactions"? Not saying they didn't but I don't recall seeing anything that used that word. It's a free to play game with a cash shop.
  • creezyjeezycreezyjeezy Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    When it's in EvE Online :P

A terrible game. :-|
  • uvirith1uvirith1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 124
    edited May 2013
    Dont remind me of the prices. I bought an armored bear. I really want to rip my butt out and wear it as a hat.....
  • redlanceredlance Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    You can gain AD in lot of ways, so you exchange that for Zen. The price of zen sold by Perfect World is too much high (or the cost of items is too much high, same thing). They could lower the price of zen or lower price of shop items or people will stop buying zen from them
  • kimberixkimberix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When a mount / companion in this game can cost almost the price of a full game, it becomes rediculous.

It's like a garage offering an upgrade to your car stereo 'for a small price' only you get charged almost the same amount as a brand new car...

oh, and if you want to say everything's free for those who are 'committed';

It's like the garage telling you the bill will be practically free once you spend a period of time finding all the spare change on the streets and storing it up.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Then don't. Most of the mount/companions are not required anyway. It's like complaining why is that branded limited edition radio so expensive that it cost as much as a car?
  • gamerzaeongamerzaeon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There was another F2P title that used this same crazy cost ratio on their cash items too but this was years ago
    Unless that bag is something ridiculous like 80 Slot its coding is NOT worth $10
    Overcharging is bad, micro transactions in a F2P game are fine but when the Micro becomes Macro they should ask themselves WHY no one is buying anything Is it because you're selling junk? Is it because they feel there's nothing worthwhile to spend their cash on? or Is it because the prices are so absurd on most of the items you're trying to move that Not one person in their right mind would drop that much $$$$ on anything virtual? Heck I know people that have issues spending alot of money on Tangible things
  • mechjockeymechjockey Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Pro Tip: They were hoping you wouldn't notice that until you were invested in the game.
  • xuminaxumina Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Macrotransactions ahoy.

It's all to do with what economists call elasticity of demand. I suspect that unless they actually maintain the game in a reasonable state, and.. you know, finish it, a lot more people are going to notice and become distinctly elastic in their discretionary spending.

Edit: Darnit, xumina, you beat me to it :P (Hmm, it has decided that d4mnit is too naughty a word to be allowed in these forums, amusingly.. Go go power God Squad. )
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gamerzaeon wrote: »
    There was another F2P title that used this same crazy cost ratio on their cash items too but this was years ago
    Unless that bag is something ridiculous like 80 Slot its coding is NOT worth $10
    Overcharging is bad, micro transactions in a F2P game are fine but when the Micro becomes Macro they should ask themselves WHY no one is buying anything Is it because you're selling junk? Is it because they feel there's nothing worthwhile to spend their cash on? or Is it because the prices are so absurd on most of the items you're trying to move that Not one person in their right mind would drop that much $$$$ on anything virtual? Heck I know people that have issues spending alot of money on Tangible things

With the LARGE assumption that no one is buying it. If people are buying it, well, there goes the neighbourhood.
    edited May 2013
    I know a sucker is born every minute, and i bet perfect-world is hoping that they all play NW