test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Silenced whilst AFK?

cevzycevzy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So I just got back from AFKing for over 15 minutes, and apparently have been silenced from talking (for the second time since installing Neverwinter), for supposedly spamming whilst AFK. Fix this please, as I do not enjoy playing the game whilst unable to communicate with my party, guild and friends. What the actual %#!$.

Rozayz@cevzy. Fix this ****, honestly.
Post edited by cevzy on

Comments

• killion79killion79 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same happen to me. I made 2 post in /zone chat 5-6mins apart and then I get silenced. If this is the case, what is stopping a group of people reporting all players who post in in zone chat thus shutting out the whole server player base for 24hours.
  • cevzycevzy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah. I figured their Report Spam system requires a certain amount of "votes" before a player is automatically silenced for a baseline of 24 hours. If this is the case, I won't be playing. It's far too easy to fall into the "victim" category where a bunch of 12 year old trolls all giggle over Skype like virgins touching <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, whilst mass-clicking Report Spam on a random player from Zone chat.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've never been a fan of this system. I saw the crapstorm generated over at the STO forums over the same system, and any time someone suggests this system be brought to another game....yeah, I let that opinion be known.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Reporting spam should do nothing but remove the person from your own chat, similar to ignore with the added consequence of reporting the person to a GM and if, said GMs were truly in game they could then check the post to see if the person were truly spamming. The 24 hour silencing is ludicrous.
  • enueeenuee Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bump, get your **** together cryptic.
  • aronwenaronwen Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    Hasn't happened to me yet, but I do find it easy to abuse if a group of immature people got together. honestly if they can't moderate the in-game chat they are just better off with volunteers who can silence, if they ever abuse it then get rid of them. A lot better than leaving it to the public specially in this day where too many people take advantage of everything now a days.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    cevzy wrote: »
    So I just got back from AFKing for over 15 minutes, and apparently have been silenced from talking (for the second time since installing Neverwinter), for supposedly spamming whilst AFK. Fix this please, as I do not enjoy playing the game whilst unable to communicate with my party, guild and friends. What the actual %#!$.

I could take the time to hunt out every single post and thread from Cryptic's first two games and link them here for you.......but I'll let you go look on your own. Just go to Champions Online's forums and search out "chat ban". Read to your heart's content. Ditto Star Trek Online.

This system has been in place since the release of CO. That's...what? 2009? The ONLY official response ever squeezed out of a redname on those forums has been basically this: (paraphrased, of course.)

"The chat system is working as intended. Its functions are so deeply imbedded in the coding that it would take an overhaul of the entire system in both games." (Neverwinter hadn't been even alpha tested yet.)

Short version? People have been pushing to have this travesty fixed or changed for a long time already. Good luck with your efforts.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ignore as well as report spam both add to your chat ban total.
    So every person you put on ignore, you're helping them towards a chat ban.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I once got chat banned in Champs for being in hospital for a month. My chat ban was totally legit.
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Member Posts: 2,036 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    I once got chat banned in Champs

Once? Balderdash!
    allaerra wrote: »
    Reporting spam should do nothing but remove the person from your own chat, similar to ignore with the added consequence of reporting the person to a GM and if, said GMs were truly in game they could then check the post to see if the person were truly spamming. The 24 hour silencing is ludicrous.

^^^ This

123456789 10
  • kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cevzy wrote: »

Do you have a cat? They've been known to roll around on keyboards when their master is away causing all sorts of chat spam.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, uh, people can't right-click your text and report it as spam if you didn't actually TYPE ANY. This OP doesn't pass the sniff test.
  • cevzycevzy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    <Please do not post CS Correspondences>

Great way to keep the playerbase booming.
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Member Posts: 2,036 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Yeah, uh, people can't right-click your text and report it as spam if you didn't actually TYPE ANY. This OP doesn't pass the sniff test.

/ignore_spammer @somedude

Regular /ignore counts towards getting chat banned too.

You just need to know their handle, which can be obtained from chat, by standing in front of them, by finding it on a search, by seeing it on the forums, etc.

As Nepht said earlier in this thread, it's possible to get chat banned while not even logged in.
    you guys need to understand that the community at large is sick of people selling their wares in zone chat and are now just reportiing for spamming anyone who does it, even if they do it just the one time.

stop selling your junk in zone chat. wait for the ah, or join the trade channel.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ah, "the wisdom of crowds". Wonderful.
  • phoenixrte69phoenixrte69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Alot of Players have started to "Report as Spam" Exploiters that are LFG for AFK PvP in Chat. I do it every time myself.
    So, my guess is, just stop AFK PvP farming and you wont get "silenced" once you get back from AFK...
    Have fun and play nice.
  • zeralf1zeralf1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    chat banned too, made 2-3 wts in 2 mins. And the 24h ban applies to all chats lol. This is dumb
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    allaerra wrote: »
    Reporting spam should do nothing but remove the person from your own chat

Then one person's spamming or poor behaviors forces dozens of other players to have to go out of their way to not get spammed or abused. This is hardly reasonable and it would give a spammer a free pass. More people would spam and the Zone chat would be even less readable.

There is a simple solution to not getting chat banned: Don't spam, don't flood the channel with sales offers, and don't be obnoxious.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • daelensaintdaelensaint Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I got silenced for not spamming, not being AFK, not doing anything that others have been silenced for. It is effecting my entire Cryptic gaming account. STO, Champions, Black Light, and Neverwinter. I only noticed in Neverwinter first when I couldn't talk to anyone and noticed that I was not getting anything beyond System messages and NPC spam. No responses from support or any emails about the issue as to whether it was done by GM or automated system. I have posted a number of support tickets for this issue, but have not gotten anything beyond the automated response of they'll address the ticket as soon as they get to it.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    If you've been muted for longer than 24 hours please contact support and they will address your issue accordingly. Since these issues can't be resolved on the forums we ask that you do not discuss your specific account issue on the forums but rather focus on the feedback to improve the experience.

Changes to the system are being looked into by the developers though, so, wrongful mutes should be less common.
This discussion has been closed.