test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dungeon problems.

yarrenzeyarrenze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
Writing this just before the maintenance, so hopefully it will be seen by others.

I've made a short list of problems I've encountered in the dungeons which are effecting that aspect of the game in a very negative way. This are in-game mechanics problems, not problems that occurs due to player faults. There are probably more, but these are the ones I'd like to point out to.

1. Queue system for some dungeons that do require standard composition of tank/healer/dps. Getting tossed into a dungeon with 4 other dps, therefor making it almost impossible to complete the dungeon. This is not the way most of the people want to play.
2. Failing to enter the dungeon due to an unknown issue after everyone has accepted the dungeon call. People are left where they were instead of being ported to the dungeon.
3. Boss encounters are mostly add-control based, which sometimes leads to infinite spawning of adds, therefor making the further dungeon progress impossible. This leads to endless combat, random re-spawns of adds etc. Also, any add being knocked off the edge into the abyss, water or any other permanent death mechanic are re-spawned after some time. On the occasion, even boss itself can fall in the abyss, therefor loosing the loot/seals, and making it less fun and challenging to actually kill it.
4. Boss-fight mechanics itself, consisting of usual hard-hits, AoE attacks etc. are on epic difficulty cluttered with unnecessary amount of adds, which increases difficulty of the boss-fight itself only by decreasing performance due to clutter. It also makes boss-fights uninspired cluster-f**k, where the boss itself is a secondary objective, while handling the adds (kiting and controlling) becomes the main, therefor making it more of a circus than a boss-fight.
5. Terrain glitches which leads to exploits in the dungeons (Spider Lair f.e.) and mob glitching (mobs getting stuck in the terrain).
6. After killing the boss, loot is scattered around the corpse of the boss, which in some occasions (when fighting near the ledge) can result in loss of the loot/seals. This can be quite irritating, especially if it took you long time to kill the boss.
7. In some dungeons (Frozen Heart f.e.), due to the way terrain is modeled and amount of adds, spotting loot and red AoE zones gives headaches (both metaphorically and literally).
8. Some bosses are very large in size, which gives problems to the range characters (haven't played melee character) because of the way targeting works. Casting a spell will cause your camera to pan on the middle of the boss-model, making it nearly impossible to spot if you're standing somewhere where you shouldn't (red zone f.e.). Not being able to zoom out camera can cause a death of the character, since he is not able to see the actual threat due to the height of the boss and the targeting system. In this occasion, character death is not 100% players fault, even though the player could avoid it. This is more of the technical issue, but its effect on the PvE is the reason I've placed it on the list.

Each of the problems I've listed here are based on the personal opinion and should be taken as such. You may find that some of them (or all) aren't the issues that should be addressed at all, which is why I'd like to see Your opinion on them, whether you agree or disagree with me in this particular matter. Note that if you have additional information about the dungeon system and experience, or you noticed a flaw in some of the problems I've listed, feel free to contribute.

Bare in mind that I do know that the game is still "fresh", that it is not completed yet and that some of the issues are a product of lack of development and premature soft-launch.

Sincerely, Yarrenze.
Knowledge is power!
Post edited by yarrenze on

Comments

• dphoneixdphoneix Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bump^^.
    i am not sure about problems created by the terrain making visibility bad, but all the rest i have experienced myself. i would also like to add some persistent errors to your 2nd point. suppose a player gets disconnected when in PvP, once you log back in you will be kicked from the match, and unless u quit and restart the game if u try to queue up for another instance or arena match you will not be ported to the respective area.
    Another error that i have come across is that, if you were to enter a new dungeon for the first time, then right after the game patches the files it crashes to desktop.
    Point no. 3 and 4 is particularly hard when a cleric is present in the party, as all the adds go ahead and attack the cleric despite him not attacking and inspite of having treat reduction as a passive skill.
  • ewoksruleewoksrule Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I had an issue last night where we killed the final boss but had not yet picked up the loot, I was instantly sent back to town and kicked from the group. I think either the leader group kicked or something bugged, but I spent an hour+ in there and never got the final loot chest.
  • yarrenzeyarrenze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dphoneix wrote: »
    Bump^^.
    suppose a player gets disconnected when in PvP, once you log back in you will be kicked from the match, and unless u quit and restart the game if u try to queue up for another instance or arena match you will not be ported to the respective area.
    Another error that i have come across is that, if you were to enter a new dungeon for the first time, then right after the game patches the files it crashes to desktop.

Had a rogue in a party with that issue. Poor guy restarted the game dozen of times without success. He even restarted his PC, but it still persisted.

About the second, I've never experienced crashes. It did stuck on the loading in the first few days, but after that I've disabled patch-on-demand. What it basically do is that when you check that option in the launcher's option menu (you need to restart launcher for it take effect), it downloads whole game, all areas and stuff. In that way you have full game on your computer, so people should not have issues with those crashes once they disable patch-on-demand.
    Knowledge is power!
  • dphoneixdphoneix Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thanks for that info. its a lot more better now that i don't have to wait for the files to be patched.
  • fistingufistingu Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Yeah. The boss fight mechanics seem really poorly put together. Every single one I've seen so far in Epic dungeons are "let's throw in a bunch of adds for difficulty!" Sure, this doesn't make it easy, but it's not unique, it's repetitive, and quite frankly it's very disappointing. When I fight a final boss of a dungeon, I want to fight one monster that is extremely difficult to beat alone. Fighting 2000+ mini monsters while dodging red stuff on the ground for 30 minutes isn't clever, it's not special, it is just tedious.

Give us boss fights like in Tera, where one monster is incredibly difficult. Give us secondary objectives in a boss fight that requires careful multi-tasking. Give us boss fights that force us interact with the environment to kill em. Clever designing of boss fights hook players. Boss fights with endless adds don't.

Also, we need at least one boss fight with a dps race. Those are exciting. We have to kill the boss in 10 minutes or he gets a triple damage buff, or our screen goes black, or something. Those are always interesting.

Plus, the matchmaking system is funny. Apparently it's expected that a random group of 2 Guardian Fights and 3 Rogues can beat Epic Lair of the Mad Dragon. Either I'm not playing the game right, or the matchmaking system is funk.

I'm a huge fan of this game. It's got some insanely sweet potential, especially since it's this good being so new. Just be creative!!