test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

This is an open beta. Start treating it like one.

lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Things I would like to see:
1) A full list of known issues, and if possible, priority, schedule, and status of resolving them.
2) A full list of unimplemented content, and if possible, priority, schedule, and status of implementation.
3) A set citera of exactly when the game is considered ready for full release, based on the above two items.

- Knowing what issues you have acknowledged would aid greatly in us reporting them, so we could focus on finding new issues, or testing how to replicate said issues, etc.

Things I would suggest on top of what I would like to see:
4) Developer blog stating progress in resolving issues and implementation of content. Preferably updated at least weekly.
5a) At the end of Open Beta, roll back AD and Zen. Roll back every obtained item save for each tier of earned equipment, BoP, quest rewards, and set of enchantments based on equipment tier. Award AD based on character progress. Essentially a complete reset of economy, while keeping characters as untouched as possible.
5b) Alternatively, relegate current shards to legacy status. Implement a new shard with no AD/Zen transfer between new and legacy. All purchased Zen and founder's pack bonuses are duplicated on new shard.

Please no comments about whether it is currently an open beta or not, and no complaints about current issues. Just suggestions, criticisms, and comments on what you would like to see from the developers.

EDIT: Seriously, I meant it, stop trying to pull the thread off-topic. And stop replying to people who are pulling the thread off-topic. I'm reporting each and every post doing the above two things..
Post edited by lyokira on

Comments

• aronwenaronwen Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2013
    I don't know if they'll ever tell us about future content, but at least a list of issues they are aware of and an estimate of when it will be fixed would be a very good thing.
  • jmerithewjmerithew Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    1) A full list of known issues, and if possible, priority, schedule, and status of resolving them.
    2) A full list of unimplemented content, and if possible, priority, schedule, and status of implementation.
    3) A set citera of exactly when the game is considered ready for full release, based on the above two items.

- Knowing what issues you have acknowledged would aid greatly in us reporting them, so we could focus on finding new issues, or testing how to replicate said issues, etc.

4) Developer blog stating progress in resolving issues and implementation of content. Preferably updated at least weekly.
    5a) At the end of Open Beta, roll back AD and Zen. Roll back every obtained item save for each tier of earned equipment, BoP, quest rewards, and set of enchantments based on equipment tier. Award AD based on character progress. Essentially a complete reset of economy, while keeping characters as untouched as possible.
    5b) Alternatively, relegate current shards to legacy status. Implement a new shard with no AD/Zen transfer between new and legacy. All purchased Zen and founder's pack bonuses are duplicated on new shard.

Please no comments about whether it is currently an open beta or not, and no complaints about current issues. Just suggestions, criticisms, and comments on what you would like to see from the developers.
    +1, if they insist this is an open beta, which they did SEVERAL times in the post about the exploit, they need to start doing the standard beta procedures.
  • arcbladezarcbladez Member Posts: 210 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    But they PROMISED we get to keep our characters! No wipes no nothing! Everything I do with my character is mine to keep and enjoy for as long as I keep this game! If I had known that they can rollback the game at any given moment due to a beta bug, I would of never played this game "Seriously" as if everything I do is to keep! I would of treated the game as a beta and accepted that at any given moment, I could get rolled back or character wiped!

*siiiiiiiiiiigh*

Gawd... all of sunday wasted! Goodjob Cryptic. Good freaking job. You lied.
  • jmerithewjmerithew Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    arcbladez wrote: »
    But they PROMISED we get to keep our characters! No wipes no nothing! Everything I do with my character is mine to keep and enjoy for as long as I keep this game! If I had known that they can rollback the game at any given moment due to a beta bug, I would of never played this game "Seriously" as if everything I do is to keep! I would of treated the game as a beta and accepted that at any given moment, I could get rolled back or character wiped!

*siiiiiiiiiiigh*

I think every MMO reserves the right for a rollback if they deem that it's needed, even one's that have been live for quite a while. The problem here is a lot of these issues were brought up in closed beta, and not fixed before they decided to open the floodgates for the monies.
  • madqhuemadqhue Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This is no open beta. It has been a month since "open beta" began and yet zero changes or corrections to content, abilities, issues. No running list of known bugs, not even a 'test server' where proposed fixes are in place.

Hell the second skirmish has an end boss that has an order of magnitude too many hit points and has had this problem for the past two months. This is a less than 5 second fix and yet it hasn't happened. We don't have fundamental game mechanic issues being solved (aggro, broken abilities, loot system) nor do we have even the most trivial of errors being fixed.

All we have is one community manager from the publisher posting on twitter, forums and facebook that they are "collecting data". The grace period for people's tolerance of broken content is dwindling rapidly, at least have some direct communication about the problems.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aronwen wrote: »
    I don't know if they'll ever tell us about future content, but at least a list of issues they are aware of and an estimate of when it will be fixed would be a very good thing.
    Not really referring to future content, more of content that is outright missing, like the lack of companion training tomes.
    madqhue wrote: »
    This is no open beta. It has been a month since "open beta" began and yet zero changes or corrections to content, abilities, issues. No running list of known bugs, not even a 'test server' where proposed fixes are in place.

Hell the second skirmish has an end boss that has an order of magnitude too many hit points and has had this problem for the past two months. This is a less than 5 second fix and yet it hasn't happened. We don't have fundamental game mechanic issues being solved (aggro, broken abilities, loot system) nor do we have even the most trivial of errors being fixed.

All we have is one community manager from the publisher posting on twitter, forums and facebook that they are "collecting data". The grace period for people's tolerance of broken content is dwindling rapidly, at least have some direct communication about the problems.
    I don't know about you, but they have been fixing things. The latest couple being the Doomguide exploit, the GF equipment exploit, the current AH exploit which presumably they are in the process of fixing... They are admittedly slow, but that's different from no fixes at all.
  • grimthaleongrimthaleon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

^this, this is no open beta or else they wouldnt use the cash shop. it's just cryptics way of F***ing up and not having to own up to it because it has that pretty "open beta" tag, this game will be **** by time it is launched. It was good until they Banned my main account (founder and all) for selling items on the ah at their recommended price. Way to go Cryptic, I'll take my money back now, thank you.
    edited May 2013
    ^this, this is no open beta or else they wouldnt use the cash shop. it's just cryptics way of F***ing up and not having to own up to it because it has that pretty "open beta" tag, this game will be **** by time it is launched. It was good until they Banned my main account (founder and all) for selling items on the ah at their recommended price. Way to go Cryptic, I'll take my money back now, thank you.
    Getting off topic. Cash shop is not an indication of whether it's an open beta. Any more people complaining that this is not an open beta will be reported, simply because I wish this topic to stay on topic.
  • sauciflard1sauciflard1 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not really referring to future content, more of content that is outright missing, like the lack of companion training tomes.

I don't know about you, but they have been fixing things. The latest couple being the Doomguide exploit, the GF equipment exploit, the current AH exploit which presumably they are in the process of fixing... They are admittedly slow, but that's different from no fixes at all.
    Exploit, exploit and exploit again.
    That's all that they can fix, all other bugs are still there.
  • fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

I agree with all of this and so far they are doing a very disappointing job at communicating these things. Not to mention so far their resolution for concerns has been slow as hell. Usually you see a dropoff with companies after the first couple months in this area. Kind of alarming to see this trend happening already.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I saw no promise as to when these tomes would be released. It's not missing if it hasn't been released yet.
  • mythrildragonmythrildragon Member Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lol ppl still fall for the 'open beta' thing?...
  • maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lol ppl still fall for the 'open beta' thing?...
    I don't think you read the OP's post.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • redlanceredlance Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    The only way they could make the actual state of the game a REAL open beta is a full wipe of servers at the end of beta phase. And stopping the cash shop for real money. Otherwise it's not beta. It's a tricked release
  • buldegradbuldegrad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Kudos. I 100% agree. I paid $200.00 USD to support this game and thus far I have only seen its demise and quite frankly I feel pretty ripped off right about now. As the OP suggested, roll backs and/or wipes ARE in order. You can deny it all you want PWE/Cryptic, but the truth is, it needs to happen.
  • cptcheese255cptcheese255 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    arcbladez wrote: »

*siiiiiiiiiiigh*

Try to get it trough your thick skull; they never lied. Wipe and rollback are different things...
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

Things I would suggest

EDIT: Seriously, I meant it,

Well, you did say criticisms in your post. So...here goes.

Why should Cryptic care who you are or what you want?

To point this out YET AGAIN...here's the address, so you can check for yourself.
    http://www.perfectworld.com/about/terms

It's PW's terms of service. In section 10, at the very bottom of the list is this paragraph.

PWE may take any actions and impose any penalties we deem necessary to discourage and punish any violation of these terms or any other illegal or inappropriate conduct, all without prior notice or warning.
    The determination as to whether a violation has occurred and who is responsible for such act is solely within PWE's discretion, and is based on what we deem best for the community and the Website.
    By using the Website, you agree you will be bound by PWE's determination as to whether a violation has occurred and any penalty we choose to implement.

So....just by OUR being here, we agree to this.

All suggestions for improvements are welcome. -Ambisinsisterr

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Something missing in the "treat this like open beta" is that a wipe to fix all the economy issues (not necessarily now, but before release), would be a good idea.

Of course, Cryptic has said that a wipe is off the table.

Should be easy enough to draw the obvious conclusion.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
    edited May 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    *Snip*

Because one of the reason for this forum is for suggestions. I do agree that I am more or less just an ant in the grand scheme of this game, but that is no reason to stay silent on criticisms and suggestions. Admittedly the topic title is a little harsh, but it's sort of relevant. I believe that my suggestions would be on the whole be beneficial not just to myself, but to the community, and eventually to PWE too.

elessym wrote: »
    Something missing in the "treat this like open beta" is that a wipe to fix all the economy issues (not necessarily now, but before release), would be a good idea.

Of course, Cryptic has said that a wipe is off the table.

Should be easy enough to draw the obvious conclusion.

Other than that just because there is no wipe does not mean that tests can't be done. In theory, the bugs which lead to the exploit should not have existed past closed beta. But they have given their word, so they have an onus to keep it. Of course, there are many ways to fix the economic issues, and I believe that the rollback isn't intended to fix everything, but just enough to let normal market forces handle the rest of the job.

Even then, that is still no excuse not to implement all the other things I've mentioned, as they are relevant even if it's no longer in beta; It's simply more pertinent that they be implemented if it is indeed in beta.
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I believe that my suggestions would be on the whole be beneficial not just to myself, but to the community, and eventually to PWE too.

I can agree with this viewpoint. However, I do have some knowledge from experience to impart.

Cryptic does not take suggestions from its playerbase and implement them in game. I know this from Champions Online(which has a suggestions forum that hasn't seen a developer post in well over a year.) and Star Trek online, which again falls very short on developers actually listening to their player base.

Cryptic is a company led by a man who has brilliant vision. GREAT ideas. WONDERFUL dreams. But god awful LOUSY implementation.
    I'm honestly surprised the man can tie shoes. Maybe he uses slip-ons, I dunno. Cryptic falls short in many aspects of gaming. It has been said by many(and it's actually true) that what Cryptic gets right.....it gets OH SO VERY RIGHT. But...what Cryptic does wrong....it totally tanks at. Bottom of the barrel that's sunk to the depths of the Marianas Trench. One of those things it gets so very wrong is listening to its beta testers and player base. Another is actual, meaningful communication. Sure, there's community reps that spout kind words and bubbles and rainbows....but that's what they're SUPPOSED to do. For some, it's what they get PAID to do. All the community reps know is what is told them by Cryptic staff PR guys. This they pass to us. Don't shoot the messenger.

Point is...you're wasting your time. As good natured your intentions may be...you're pipe dreaming. And taking people with you.

That's been my experience with Cryptic, and it's my firm opinion.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • lltsnwnlltsnwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 787 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013

EDIT: Seriously, I meant it, stop trying to pull the thread off-topic. And stop replying to people who are pulling the thread off-topic. I'm reporting each and every post doing the above two things..

Cryptic did blur the lines between Open Beta and the game's release by accepting real world money for Zen during the game's testing period. I understand the appeal from a game developer's point of view to do this, however it is one of the primary reason game testers feel entitled to more than a normal tester role at this point.
    12.jpgRanger.jpg
  • pickygamerpickygamer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In all honesty I just ignore PWE's Open Beta tag. I played PWI, JD (as well as the majority of their other games) in Open Beta....the game did not have any sort of magical change from open beta to 'launch'. All that happened was the open beta tag disappeared.....things will still tweaked after, bugs were still fixed and re-broken with expansions or simple maintenance. IMHO I would just look at this game as "live" as 'a work in progress'. People seem to be hanging on this Open Beta tag like it means something significant, and in my experience with PWE it does not.
  • millacanomillacano Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    it's not a beta .. thats just a ploy .,.

the minute they ask you to spend money on a game it's not a beta it's a payed game ..
    "I don't care What Spock said Han shot first"
  • selonwselonw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 258
    edited May 2013
    Released P2P games are more Open Beta then this, atleast they usually have testservers.
  • kasperevilkasperevil Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for being a reasonable person. I was just about to ask when Open Beta became early access. If they treated this like an actual open beta, people would not feel entitled (well as much) especially if they stated at the end of open beta everything will be wiped, but for participating you get x amount of days early access and some loot that will help you level faster.

Things they need to do:

1) Dev Blog; tell us what you are working on, get us excited about it. The only reason I know anything about this game is because two years ago at GenCon i signed a mailing list.

2) You have to fix the economy; the game doesn't work without it. Determine a level based amount or just wipe everything after Open Beta.

3) Your Community management team on twitter and facebook etc, they do pretty good with responding and posting. The problem is they don't have enough things to post about. Give them some material.

4) Start treating this like Open Beta. The community will follow.
  • druga1757druga1757 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    You shouldn't have thread titled it "treat it like an open beta" if you didn't want to acknowledge that people have different ideas of what constitutes an open beta.

I'd be happy to treat it as an open beta if they did a character wipe and didn't accept money. Since they didn't, I'm treating it as a soft launch.
  • breagandaerthbreagandaerth Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Beta is just a term to define the state that the software is in. Some beta software is only made available to a select number of users, while other beta programs are released to the general public. In most cases, a software developer will release multiple "beta" versions of a program during the beta phase. Each version includes updates and bug fixes that have been made in response to user feedback. The beta phase may last anywhere from a few weeks for a small program to several months for a large program.

The term beta implies that the software needs further development before it reaches it's release phase. Some companies will offer beta for free while others may charge for early or any access. Some companies may charge during the entire beta phase.

You are confusing the term "beta" to mean free. Beta is simply a way of defining what state the software is in. If a company chooses to do a soft release open beta, e.g. no character wipe. This should never be confused as a Full Released version of the software. Beta is only defining what state the software is in. Crashes, instabilities, bugs are inherent in beta.

This is why the game is in beta. Although you may feel this game is not beta because it does not follow certain aspects of most mmo. It is beta due to the fact it has crashes, bugs and instability. If you do not like Beta wait for the full release version of the game.