test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF - End Game

killz2manykillz2many Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
So I know there is already a lot of talk about gwf on the forums and in-game chat. Mostly about how gimp in PvP they are, but outside of PvP (where no one likes to see them on their team) I find that they're pretty useful. Sure they don't do the most dps, heal, or tank. But they always have the most "Killz" meaning their AoE dmg is awesome in dungeons, which up to level 50 AoE dmg seems to be very important considering the high volume of mobs at bosses.

What I'm wondering, is if this changes in end-game? Is the GWF the class that no one wants to bring with to a raid/dungeon? I'm looking for someone who has experienced end game as a GWF to let me know if it's worth getting him to 60 or if I should just start rolling another class now.

Thanks,
Killz2Many ~ Greatest Weapon Fighter ~ Dragon Shard
game-of-thrones-dani-burn-deal-with-it.gif
Post edited by killz2many on

Comments

• acwhistleracwhistler Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Definitely changes end game. Just exploit and 1 shot everything ftw.
  • killz2manykillz2many Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Not sure what exploit you are talking about, but now that I've created a good build for myself my GWF is destroying everything. Unfortunately, people still reject me from groups because they say they need "dps" even though I easily destroy CW in dps and keep up with if not pass rogues dps now.
  • itheryelitheryel Member Posts: 335 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    They throw adds of cliffs, so they ask for single target dps not aoe burst dps, the insta kill cliffs exploit has destroyed the core view off all players towards melee characters (both GF/GWF)

This is how an endgame dungeon run goe's

Cleric heal ==> focus all threat 300% more then tank ==> CM black holle all adds of cliff ==> everything dead ==> burst boss dps ==> go complain on forums how borring boss fight's are ==> quit rage of boredome
    Petram Sacram - I am no devine cleric, i am a Gaurdian fighter in disguise with better threat and supportive spells -
  • rethophisrethophis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 71
    edited May 2013
    It is useless to negate it, rogues and Cw do more DPS. That's why the few successful groups at Castle Never don't bring GWF in their parties.

The choices ATM are two: either reroll or wait for a GWF buff. Since you didn,'t started yet the gear grinding you'd better reroll.
    Known as Zerkul on DDO forums I]Ryumajin, Zavarthak, Leohands of Cannith[/I, look for me on YouTube.
  • daethxdaethx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    killz2many wrote: »
    So I know there is already a lot of talk about gwf on the forums and in-game chat. Mostly about how gimp in PvP they are, but outside of PvP (where no one likes to see them on their team) I find that they're pretty useful. Sure they don't do the most dps, heal, or tank. But they always have the most "Killz" meaning their AoE dmg is awesome in dungeons, which up to level 50 AoE dmg seems to be very important considering the high volume of mobs at bosses.

What I'm wondering, is if this changes in end-game? Is the GWF the class that no one wants to bring with to a raid/dungeon? I'm looking for someone who has experienced end game as a GWF to let me know if it's worth getting him to 60 or if I should just start rolling another class now.

Thanks,

GWF do fine at 60 PvP. They can stunlock people to death and they are immune to CC. They also do fine at PvE. Just takes a bit more effort to get a GWF to work as opposed to a rogue.
  • riotwarriorriotwarrior Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Being a level 60 trickster rogue for over a week now, I've learned quite a bit about the class. When it comes to PvE, I've notice a GWF is a great addition to the team (minus the GF for tank or another TR for dps, cause of course you need a CW and Cleric). And in PvP, if I don't have the right skills set up, I can get dominated by a GWF, depending on their skills they have ready. Its all in the situation you are put in. There's 3 types of styles I use in PvP; DPS Build, Stunlock Build and Perma-stealth build, which all three are great. But the only ones I can beat a GWF on with leaving me 50%+ health is the stun and stealth builds. Of course these are "cheap", but every class has their own "cheap" skill-set.
  • proyodaproyoda Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gwf have less single and aoe dps than tr and cw(tr really isnt aoe dps but the tr doing single dps gonna outdps the gwf aoe dps)
    u can think that the gwf have good dps when u see the aoe spam of 1k-2k hits but then the cw go with 10-15k aoe criticals and the dps of the aoe gwf is garbage.
    the gwf is a hybrid, we area tank-dps role,we cant tank as the gf and we cant dps as cw or tr,take it if u like this or create an tr or cw if u only want dps
  • sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I play a 60 gwf. I think they need tweaking, but they are useful in t2 dungeons. Not as much damage as a TR, but enough to count. I also don't die due to unstoppable, so I am always resing the others.
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
  • semblsembl Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Saying that we don't do as much damage as a TR but enough to count is a falacy.

Singletarget damage eliminates threats to the group and reduces incoming damage.
    If the singletarget damage class (TR) does equal or more damage than the AOE damage class (GWF) then it's an order of magnitude more useful in a group setting.
  • dancingchimpdancingchimp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The GWF have a spot in group, same spot as guardian. As a AOE dps, its only one spot for it. But they can have it np.

Same with rouges, only 1 spot for rouge. 1 spot for wizard. (Can be 2 wizards.)

2xClerics have 2 spots, ofcource. Since it is BY far the best way to beat Cryptics Idiotic boss mechanics of just throwing adds at the party, with broken heal threat (There is a stupid fix, but still) and a tanking that does not work.
  • killz2manykillz2many Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 146 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What sdgfh said is correct though. Sure you can get an whopping 100-200k more dps in a dungeon using a rogue, but the truth of the matter is the gwf is almost always the last one standing. Meaning your gwf will bring people back into the fight. Drop groups of adds faster than any class (unless it's a wizard pushing off cliffs) and their dps isn't a huge enough gap to say that it will make a difference in end-game to take another rogue or cw.

Honestly I would probably out dps rogues, but every time I get a chance to unleash major AoE damage some cleric or wizard blows the mobs all over the map. I understand pushing them off the ledge, but half the time it just makes it harder for any melee class to get hits in because the mobs are spreading out and jumping around the map.

Maybe when casters learn how to use their push spells we'll start to see GWF in true action. Honestly I would prefer that over major nerfs or buffs.
  • incarealincareal Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    killz2many wrote: »
    What sdgfh said is correct though. Sure you can get an whopping 100-200k more dps in a dungeon using a rogue, but the truth of the matter is the gwf is almost always the last one standing. Meaning your gwf will bring people back into the fight. Drop groups of adds faster than any class (unless it's a wizard pushing off cliffs) and their dps isn't a huge enough gap to say that it will make a difference in end-game to take another rogue or cw.

Honestly I would probably out dps rogues, but every time I get a chance to unleash major AoE damage some cleric or wizard blows the mobs all over the map. I understand pushing them off the ledge, but half the time it just makes it harder for any melee class to get hits in because the mobs are spreading out and jumping around the map.

Maybe when casters learn how to use their push spells we'll start to see GWF in true action. Honestly I would prefer that over major nerfs or buffs.

in this game u dont need aoe dps (thanks to dungeon designs). so i got 10,5K GS GWF and i only log few times pred day to invoke and do profession stuff. otherwise the game is dead if you play this class
    edited May 2013
    I'm assuming you mean dead dungeon wise. GWF are still good in PvP. Actually it's rare that I don't get 1st place in a match (excluded afk un-even matches, etc) Even matches that I lose I end up topping 1st or 2nd in points.

Also I feel like a lot of people miss the foundry in this game. This is a d&d Neverwinter game. The game is fun and enjoyable even if you're not earning gear. Honestly I could care less about getting geared, it's easy to just save AD and buy what you need. To me the game is really about the players content and the enjoyable combat.

Don't get me wrong I still can't wait for PvE raids and larger PvP matches as well as PvP in foundry. For now though, it's open beta. A lot of content is still locked or unfinished. If you don't want to get bored of the game or quit due to current imbalances I would suggest finding a guild that does more player based content. I mean you guys gotta get bored of doing the same kill trash, down boss, kill trash, down boss, receive easily replaced gear right? To keep this game alive get involved in crafting, trading, foundry group quests. I think the RPers will get the most out of this game as it's a perfect place to do d&d campaigns.. Sorry about getting off topic, but it makes me sad that people think GWF at 60 isn't work playing.

Farm seals and mats for AH and crafting. Do lower level dungeons to help friends or get gear for alts.

EDIT: Also if anyone is looking for a RP guild that does PvP/PvE/Foundry campaigns check out Knights of Silver. Looks like it's going to be an enjoyable group of people by reading over the applications.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?275582-Dragon-RP-PvE-PvP-Knights-of-Silver-guild-is-now-recruiting
  • incarealincareal Member Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    "Do lower level dungeons to help friends or get gear for alts."

any serious guild already has bank stacked with atleast t1 sets for each class so if u lvl your alt u get free full gear.
    or atleast thats what we do.