test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How is the party leader determined?

imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've been trying to figure out how the game decides who the leader of a random dungeon or PvP group is. I get the crown in 80-90% of the teams I join, so my first thought was that I just hit the join button fast when the invite pops up. But when I deliberately waited a bit before hitting the key, I still often had the crown.

Does anyone have any theories or actual information?
Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
Post edited by imivo on

Comments

• yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I have been wondering this myself. While leveling I was nearly always given leader in pvp, strangely if I requeued my team and a few had dropped out, someone else became leader in that game.

I had thought that maybe it had something to do with how many times you had participated in pvp; then I thought like you that maybe it was because I pressed shift1 first, but then I also found myself getting leader when I joined late.

I can't believe it is just a coincidence that I was nearly always given the crown- could my super guardian status have something to do with it? Number of forum posts? Age?
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ennie, meenie minee, mo!
  • stratxzzstratxzz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    I know that if you queue with a party of 4 the 5th person always gets leader.

Besides that I am wondering my self.
    Strat@stratxzz on the Dragon Shard

Strat - Great Weapon Fighter - Level 60 ( Retired for now )
    Strattwo - Control Wizard - Level 60
    Stratx - Devoted Cleric - Level 60
    Stratt - Trickster Rogue - Level 18

http://theeoi.com - Visit for more information on our gaming community.
  • llllllllll42llllllllll42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have no idea, I almost-always get party lead for myself. I think it has to do with matches played, or how fast you join the match.
  • sp4rk75sp4rk75 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm the same 9/10 times I seem to get party lead even if I'm last to join group. I presumed it maybe something to do with how fast your internet connection was, but that is just a guess.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    yasha00 wrote: »
    I can't believe it is just a coincidence that I was nearly always given the crown- could my super guardian status have something to do with it? Number of forum posts? Age?

If it's age and forum posts, it's no wonder I nearly always get it. :p

I also wondered if it had to do with being a founder (the game knows who a founder is since there is also the title for being one), but I don't know, it would make sense to give leadership and responsibility to people who pay in a F2P, but at the same time it also seems a little odd.

I can rule out internet speed, too. I usually get 200ms from Europe to the US, and besides, I'm mostly playing on a slow 384kbps DSL connection, which is slower than what most people have.

Coincidence, maybe. But it seems very consistent for me, even across my alts.
  • rhymfaxerhymfaxe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 101 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Based on my observations it is based on load time. You enter first, you are the first in the party, first party member gets lead. Latency would factor slightly into this.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hmm, like I said, 200ms here, slow internet (45k/s), and most of the time I play on a laptop. (But it's a state of the art gaming laptop, minus the SSD, so it's fairly fast.) I think I also often arrive when others are there already. but this is something I will keep an eye on.
  • musashinokamimusashinokami Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hum... I usually loading in first but I've never been leader so far, don't think it comes like that or maybe it's because I'm european and servers are located in USA.
  • deurkier1deurkier1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 70
    edited May 2013
    Yes i wonder this too because i was playing pvp and some afk bot guy kept getting leader every time i meet him in pvp :confused:
  • erdokanerdokan Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hum... I usually loading in first but I've never been leader so far, don't think it comes like that or maybe it's because I'm european and servers are located in USA.

^^^^

This is most likely the issue. I'm European aswell and I rarely get leader assigned to me. Only had it like what, 50 games? out of countless games (300k+ glory). It's very tiring because I have to ask a bugged person to be kicked so many times, sure some of them do it afterwards or some even don't know how to, but the fact that I had to make a remark about it before it happens is just rather annoying. This annoyance would all go away if they make it so that people with the most kills/assists in the team gets leader because they've been around long enough to know what to do.
    David Valtiere, Lvl 70 TR with perfect Lvl 60 gear which I don't want to replace cause nostalgia yo ;_;
    edited May 2013
    I'm European too and I almost always get the crown, so I don't think it's connection related. I get the same 200ms as you guys.
  • erdokanerdokan Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    I'm European too and I almost always get the crown, so I don't think it's connection related. I get the same 200ms as you guys.

Oh :s yeah nvm then lol, but if it's not that then wth could it be o_o - nothing really stands out other than European on USA servers.
    David Valtiere, Lvl 70 TR with perfect Lvl 60 gear which I don't want to replace cause nostalgia yo ;_;
    edited May 2013
    Erdokan, since you are a founder too, we can rule that out as a criterion too, and you probably also made your character during headstart (I thought maybe it is the age of an account).
  • axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nothing to do with load times or speed.

It's quite simply set up, and works insanely poorly, it has zero random factors.
    1. Any preformed group will ALWAYS lose the lead. 2/3/4 players, if any single solo queuer is added, they will get it. Its completely dumb and broken as it punishes community play and rewards ignorance and antisocial behavior.
    2. If multiple solo queuer's are added, the one with the lowest character ID gets it - always.

EG: Heros of the north who created there character on the 25th will always get it before guardians/f2p/etc.

Though the character ID may be hash value, which means while mostly heros/gaurdians will have lower IDs, not all will.

Also if it's a full 5 man preformed, the lower ID still gets it (pretty dumb, the original leader should keep it). 100% sure on this, as in my guild there are just 2 heros of the north (and im a guardian with a 40ms ping), and they get it every single time.

See here for more detail on the broken queue/group system and please reply:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?177562-Grouping-tools-in-dire-need-of-improvement
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131
    edited May 2013
    I don't see anything broken with the queue system. Sure it needs improvement, but give it time.

As for the original topic...I don't think it has anything to do with character ID or whether you're HoN, Guardian, or whatever. I've been group leader in too many groups where there were players with HoN or who had been playing longer.

I think it's just a RNG.
  • upskirtupskirt Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    it's likely the first person that accepts or its random. either way it seem to be a mystery. it would be nice to know definitively.
  • gottneverwintergottneverwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I have Charter internet, and I live like 90 minutes from PWE. Are the servers here?

I obviously spent money.

I've gotten leader on my guardian, when I was the last to queue, and I've been leader on my dps toons, when I've sat in the queue for twenty minutes.

However, I very rarely am group leader.

I think it's random.
  • axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    koldmiser wrote: »
    I don't see anything broken with the queue system. Sure it needs improvement, but give it time.

As for the original topic...I don't think it has anything to do with character ID or whether you're HoN, Guardian, or whatever. I've been group leader in too many groups where there were players with HoN or who had been playing longer.

I think it's just a RNG.
    Think what you want, your wrong, there are zero random factors in it.
    And yea you could very well group with tons of HoN or players who played longer, if they were in a group before the queue are you werent.

It's incredibly broken and creating a terrible community.
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131
    edited May 2013
    axer128 wrote: »
    Think what you want, your wrong, there are zero random factors in it.
    And yea you could very well group with tons of HoN or players who played longer, if they were in a group before the queue are you werent.

It's incredibly broken and creating a terrible community.

Sorry I questioned your solid explanation. I guess I missed the "DEV" tag on your name.
  • psendaronpsendaron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    At first I thought it was based on characters lvl since I always got it whenever my chat was highest lvl. Now I'm really not sure what the factor is. Maybe it's determined on queue time for players in that specific group (that would be most fair IMO). Would be nice to see a Dev answering this as it's been up for debate several times.
    "Don't change colour to match the walls.
    Look like you belong and the walls will change colour to match you."

- Kender Proverb