test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Duplicate character names

staypuft247staypuft247 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So I've seen a few times now that two different @handle can have the same character name in-game. I just noticed someone with my own character's name, first and last, spelled exactly the same. I'm wondering how this is possible. It kinda bugs me that someone else can have my name.
Post edited by staypuft247 on

Comments

• Options
    tomalak011tomalak011 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    Character names are not unique, since we have unique handles.
  • Options
    neridiumneridium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I believe its the @handle that makes a difference. Its like having half a dozen guys all called John with different surnames.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's possible because of the handle system.

The name you see in game "Bob Joebob", isn't the full name. The full name is Bob Joebob@bobjoe.

Meanwhile, some other guy is running around with Bob Joebob@rayray.

In game, all you see is two guys named Bob Joebob standing next to each other.

edit: ..... hey, there's an idea! Everyone should make a character named Spartacus. :p
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kiralyn wrote: »
    edit: ..... hey, there's an idea! Everyone should make a character named Spartacus. :p

Naw, id rather see all the Drizzt characters fight in a no holds barred cage match with all the Game of Thrones characters. That would be entertainment.
  • Options
    necrodaggernecrodagger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Also I think the Random Name Generator doesnt have enough names in it, devs should add more names so that there are less characters with the same name
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So I've seen a few times now that two different @handle can have the same character name in-game. I just noticed someone with my own character's name, first and last, spelled exactly the same. I'm wondering how this is possible. It kinda bugs me that someone else can have my name.

Meh Ive seen like 12 players with the name Nepht. Does not bother me in the slightest.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Also I think the Random Name Generator doesnt have enough names in it, devs should add more names so that there are less characters with the same name

You think? :)

There are hundreds of Silverkins, Hawklights, Moonshadows, Battlebeards and Balorfists around.
  • Options
    ideagorasideagoras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Naw, id rather see all the Drizzt characters fight in a no holds barred cage match with all the Game of Thrones characters. That would be entertainment.

Add all the League of Legends characters to that.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    As others have stated the character names are not unique.

You may be Drizzt Do'Urden@staypuft247 while I am Drizzt Do'Urden@ambisinisterr.
    The only thing unique is your @handle. :)
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    You think? :)

There are hundreds of Silverkins, Hawklights, Moonshadows, Battlebeards and Balorfists around.

The lesson here is that there is a lot in breeding going around
  • Options
    lanzdownelanzdowne Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That gives me an idea... Start a guild of people all with the same name, Like 'Jon' the Guildname could be 'The Jons'...

;)
    20.jpg
  • Options
    antonn13antonn13 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    john jacob jingleheimer schmidt
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lanzdowne wrote: »
    That gives me an idea... Start a guild of people all with the same name, Like 'Jon' the Guildname could be 'The Jons'...

;)

Already been done in Champions with a guild full of a guy called Brigade .
  • Options
    lanzdownelanzdowne Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ahh.. I was thinking ahem, you know 'a John' a certain type of 'customer' of a certain type of person who plies their wares at night in that seedy Bilge-rat of a Tavern downtown... ahem
    20.jpg
  • Options
    imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It kinda bugs me that someone else can have my name.

You might not feel the same way about unique names after the game has been out for a few years and pretty much any name you could think of is being used, or worse yet, "reserved just in case" by some dude who stopped playing years ago.

There are pros and cons to both systems, but there are more pros here and fewer cons. For one thing, it's much more realistic. If you have a commonly used name in real life, surprise! Other people will have that name too. Clearly, in both types of naming systems, there are good reasons to be more original. There is already a famous Drizzt Do'Urden in the Forgotten Realms and, NEWS FLASH, naming yourself him will not make you him. That character's deeds made him famous, not the string of letters that comprise his name.

In City of Heroes, I was offered REAL MONEY by a player one time who wanted one of my characters names. I politely refused, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for the dumb situation that guy was in.
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • Options
    wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I use this page to make new names up for my pen and paper games.
    http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/

Also it isn't hard to come up with unique names yourself.
  • Options
    imperviumimpervium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Already been done in Champions with a guild full of a guy called Brigade .

Actually, it had already been done in Ultima Online, with the Bob guild. They all dressed up the same, kind of like Robin Hood, and marched through cities and towns. In 1997. :p
    _

[SIGPIC]Captain Electric and the Sapien Spider[/SIGPIC]

"YES, PLEASE"
    Vote YES for the Foundry in Champions Online.
    @Captain-Electric | CoH/Virtue veteran | Proud new Champion
  • Options
    wrenaqwrenaq Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OMG that was that long ago :eek: I remember them.
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    impervium wrote: »
    You might not feel the same way about unique names after the game has been out for a few years and pretty much any name you could think of is being used, or worse yet, "reserved just in case" by some dude who stopped playing years ago.

Yep. You could have names with 19 letters in GW2 and it was still quite easy to choose a name was already taken.
  • Options
    k2ek2e Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    antonn13 wrote: »
    john jacob jingleheimer schmidt

I hate you just a little. That's going to be stuck in my head all day long. :eek:
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    impervium wrote: »
    In City of Heroes, I was offered REAL MONEY by a player one time who wanted one of my characters names. I politely refused, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for the dumb situation that guy was in.

Oh, god, trying to come up with decent, properly-themed hero names that weren't already in use in CoH was a pain. :D
  • Options
    youlookfatyoulookfat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah.. i have seen like 100 characters using game of thrones names... over and over... I like to message them things like

"Robb stark is killed at the frey wedding and his head is sewn onto his wolfs body" Or..
    "Jon snow ends up leader of the wall and his own men kill him"

It seems to upset them.. but i can't see why.. since you can't spoil something that has been out for years :) should read the **** books..

P.S. tyrion kills his father with a crossbow.... PEW PEW.. thud....
    Robb Stark is killed at the Frey wedding and his head is sewn onto his wolf..
    Jon Snow ends up leader of the wall and his own men kill him...
    Tyrion kills his father with a cross bow...

Can't spoil books that have been out for years.. enjoy the show!!