test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can't get any reviews.

samuraikingssamuraikings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
I hate to be annoying and add to the other 100 "play my map!" request threads, but I just can't get any reviews. I need to know if there are any grammatical errors, poor dialogue wording/options, poor mob placement/pacing and most importantly what difficulty my map is.

The level 31 testing classes it gives you feel a little awkward and when I tried it on my 60 it felt a little rough. When I tried it with my friend it felt a little too easy. I need some feedback from other people with different experiences so I can start fixing/balancing it. I know it isn't near perfect atm but don't have the info needed to adjust it right now and I can't move on to making a part 2 until I feel this one is in working order. So, I apologize for asking but.. please play my probably buggy map. I appreciate it.

Short Code: NW-DU2BES2WA

Story information: It's a pretty basic Black Lake map set up like a short dungeon for either 1 or 2(not sure which yet) people to play. Werewolf themed with werewolf bosses. I left certain things in there that could lead to other quests and stories should this one be worth anything.

There may or may not be tiny, altered references to things, I will never admit to that because of you know what...
Foundry Name: "Wolframs Last Stand" (@Holythirst)
Foundry Map: Blacklake District
Type: Campaign, Story, Dungeon - 5 bosses, 1-2 players
Current State: Version 2.2 is up. Full release. Try it with code below.

Post edited by samuraikings on

Comments

• tarum89tarum89 Member Posts: 49
    edited May 2013
    i have your same problelm... zero reviews and zero time plaid by someone that's not me :(

I will try that tomorrow for sure, now it's really late here.
    if you'd like to try my quest, it's
    NW-DB5GERXA3 - "An Artifact from the Depths"
    Many thanks, i will give you a review ;)
  • samuraikingssamuraikings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I will check it after I finish this ep of Game of Thrones lol. Appreciated.

• straytoasterstraytoaster Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No worries, many of us are in the same boat. I'll gladly play your quest and leave a rating and comment once the servers are back up.
    Please return the favor: My Dreams of Blood - NW-DM8RPLWP2
    Author of: My Dreams of Blood - NW-DM8RPLWP2
  • boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The current problem of the foundry is this:

1. There are almost as many people publishing a new foundry quest as people who are playing foundry quests.

2. Most of the casual players only play foundry missions to complete with the daily quest. The problem with that is this... only foundry quest that have been played a specific amount of plays (I do not know the number) and meet the +15 minute requirement get the "green" text that allows a foundry quest to be used as a quest requirement for the daily.

3. The bandwagon situation. Everyone wants to be a winner. Ever see the phenomena where a specific sport team is winning a championship and then everyone jumps on the bandwagon that they are a fan of that winning sports team. If the Heat, (I am a Spurs fan) was leading the basketball championship 3 to 0... all of a sudden you would see a surge of Miami Heat fans. What does this mean in terms of NeverWinter Foundry quests? Most people will only play foundry quests that have 1,000+ reviews and that are 4 stars or higher in reviews. The top 10 foundry quests are probably the most played and it is hard to topple them - because people will gravitate towards them.

4. With so many foundry quests out there. Why should I play yours? Advertisement, friends, and guilds mates can help with that. If you are in a guild, ask them to play your foundry quests... if you party with people or friends... ask them. If we do not know about your quest... and it is not a daily possibility... most people will probably not play them.

Now I throw the term... "most people" "all players" "everyone"

Use those terms with a grain of salt... they are probably 90% mostly somewhat true and unscientifically false at the same time.
  • notauriousnotaurious Member Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    boydzinj wrote: »

1. There are almost as many people publishing a new foundry quest as people who are playing foundry quests.

2. Most of the casual players only play foundry missions to complete with the daily quest. The problem with that is this... only foundry quest that have been played a specific amount of plays (I do not know the number) and meet the +15 minute requirement get the "green" text that allows a foundry quest to be used as a quest requirement for the daily.

3. The bandwagon situation. Everyone wants to be a winner. Ever see the phenomena where a specific sport team is winning a championship and then everyone jumps on the bandwagon that they are a fan of that winning sports team. If the Heat, (I am a Spurs fan) was leading the basketball championship 3 to 0... all of a sudden you would see a surge of Miami Heat fans. What does this mean in terms of NeverWinter Foundry quests? Most people will only play foundry quests that have 1,000+ reviews and that are 4 stars or higher in reviews. The top 10 foundry quests are probably the most played and it is hard to topple them - because people will gravitate towards them.

4. With so many foundry quests out there. Why should I play yours? Advertisement, friends, and guilds mates can help with that. If you are in a guild, ask them to play your foundry quests... if you party with people or friends... ask them. If we do not know about your quest... and it is not a daily possibility... most people will probably not play them.

Use those terms with a grain of salt... they are probably 90% mostly somewhat true and unscientifically false at the same time.

It seems to me that he has advertised. Advertising is hit or miss. Rough stats from my efforts show that 1 in 25 people who read your post will review your material. It seems to me that as this is pretty much the author forum, and we all seem to have the same goal, this problem would spread thin a bit. So long as your quest has enough information to discern it from the ones people seem to dislike the most: farming quests or pseudo-hardmode "I put 100 elites in this corner and therefore have made a challenging dungeon" dungeons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Short Code Copy/Paste: NW-DJC4R9H3R
  • boydzinjboydzinj Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    notaurious wrote: »
    It seems to me that he has advertised. Advertising is hit or miss.

Hmmm....
    Advertisement, friends, and guilds mates can help with that.

You are correct, advertisement is not a guarentee - it can work. It may not. Or as you put it, it is a hit or miss. However, I also indicated there are other options other than just advertisement. I also used the phrase, "it can help" ... but they can also be hit or miss as well.
    edited May 2013
    Just finished GoT, crazy episode. And now that I sign in the servers are still down for extended maintenance, I hope they are finally fixing the plethora of bugs we have reported, holy ****.

I will work on reviewing the two requests when the servers go live in between dungeon delve events.

That is a given, most people didn't play STO(I only played it for 20mins, the game actually sucked, but let's not go into that) so the Foundry is a new and exciting concept to them. Now is clearly not the time to be advertising and trying to get your quest on the featured/best page for sure, but I just want it beta tested honestly, I could care less about being recognized because I will certainly spend way more time in the game than the foundry creator. That being said, you are right, I am still affected by this.

I am guilty of only playing featured and the approved 15 min ones for quests as I leveled, myself. It's a vicious cycle and mostly isn't Cryptic's fault. I get the need for a 15 minute approval so people can't blaze through it and get their daily so fast, but when I had my friend test it he didn't read any of the **** story and skipped it making it only 10 mins long... It seems if I want to reach that 15mins mark I may have to add in required killing of trash mobs.

The top foundry quests haven't moved in 2 weeks and I believe one or two of them were there in the closed beta. It will take time before people get tired of those and move onto another set.

We all understand advertisement, that is sort of what I am doing here because I need it beta tested so I can fix things I overlooked. I am not going to go into zone chat and spam my code, or do it in parties, I hate people that do that. It is good advise for those that are willing to shamelessly do that, though.

I have never been one for joining guilds in any of my mmorpgs, but I might have to give in and get one for the foundry at this rate.

• notauriousnotaurious Member Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Hmmm....

You are correct, advertisement is not a guarentee - it can work. It may not. Or as you put it, it is a hit or miss. However, I also indicated there are other options other than just advertisement. I also used the phrase, "it can help" ... but they can also be hit or miss as well.

I wasn't being redundant nor ignorant of the isms of your post. I was clarifying the actual value of advertising vs. the statement made about it as a form of advancing one's cause.

Advice: If you want to be a millionaire, you could play the lottery.
    Reply: Your odds of winning are 1:30,563,674.

Forgive me if I seem snippy. I read your intro to the reply as sarcasm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Short Code Copy/Paste: NW-DJC4R9H3R
    edited May 2013
    Do not worry. Most of us, including myself, have fallen for that trap of only playing the top rated and played foundry quests. See I know how it goes. I am pushing myself to get to 60... so that way I can properly test foundry quests at 60 and go from there.

There are two types of players who play foundry quests: People who click 1 until they are ready to kill... and people who read.

Sadly, I think here are more people who read than just click 1.
  • maelzahnmaelzahn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The thing that drew me to this game was the Foundry above all else.

I'm a big fan of interesting plots, even if they aren't tied into the Neverwinter one directly. I love the mods people have made for other games (Skyrim, Oblivion, etc) and found a lot of fan-made add-ons were equally as, if not more enjoyable, than the official game content itself. It is true that there are a lot of Foundry authors pumping stuff out, and what people consider "good" probably depends on their preference, as stated above. Spam through and kill stuff, or actually read.

I'm still fresh to the Foundry myself, only just finished one quest-line yesterday, but I'm one of those who actually wants a good little side-campaign or two to play for the plot, to see what other creative minds can come up with. Likewise, I put more story than trash mobs into mine as well. I'd gladly sift through the grind hungry ones for the ones with more thought put into them, as I'd hope people appreciate of mine, but it seems difficult at the moment. It would be nice if there was a way to sort them when they're published based on more than just how long they take to complete.

Either way, I'll give yours a go when I'm on next, if only to support fellow Foundry modders. :) There's going to be a lot of us suffering the same fate. I don't care about being top 10, but I would like to think that the hours of time I put into making a quest will actually be seen by someone other than me lol
    In game: @maelzahn

Foundry Creation(s): (Give 'em a try if you haven't) :)
    - Campaign: The Black Wind (Story/RP based quests)
    --- Quest 1: Bare Necessities
    --- Short Code: NW-DHXFKZ4YU
    edited May 2013
    Just played "An Artifact from the Depths - NW-DB5GERXA3"

The first map is pretty solid. Nice character movements, interesting story and everything needed seems to be there, even a nice exit if you want to quit. The only problem seems to be grammatical errors. I'm sure mine has plenty as well, with so much dialogue it's easy to overlook. The Halfling bard and the Hooded Dwarf are the ones.

The second zone outside has really nice mob placement and patrols. Really good. Perhaps adding the actual keys for the doors as drop would be cool. It depends though, some people may hate picking them up, but for extra detail I think it would be nice.

The third zone, there are some grammatical errors with the drow at the start and throughout. It seems Stephen Schwartz wins something, whoever that is lol. I assume that was an accidental paste unrelated to anything. Some of the dwarf skins are melee based but are using ranged attacks.

I had to stop at the 4 Seal Door. Multiple groups spawned instead of just one at a time because they were close together, and I had to pop my AoE knockback on Cleric. One of them fell into the hole underneath and while it killed it, it seems to have glitched the dungeon for me. The third Seal wouldn't spawn or let me obtain it and I was stuck in combat. I killed myself and it started me back at the dungeon, it glitched again, repeated another death but left the third time.

Perhaps move the seals back or set them in a separate room, not only to prevent this from happening, but having the keys to a door right next to them isn't generally good lol. I could try it another time when you make the seal adjustments but it wouldn't let me progress any farther. Sorry.

Up to that point though I'd give it 4 stars. I really like the mob placement and patrols, you got the perfect balance to make the dungeons fun. (I did this on my 18 cleric alt, if you wanted a level 60 test let me know when you fix it so I can go either TR or CW. Send mail @Holythirst incase by the time you fix it I am not checking this thread.)

Edit: @Straytoaster, I tested yours as well, and posted in the thread you linked me.

• maelzahnmaelzahn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tried out Wolframs Last Stand, and here's a few things I noticed.

In terms of difficulty, since you wanted feedback, my level 16 rogue was fine to solo the whole thing, dodging here and there and using my flashy little warp/slash move. Used 2 minor potions before reaching the campfire checkpoint. Other classes will need to test for more info on that aspect.

A few typos I spotted were thus...
    1.) In the initial conversation with the good werewolf, when you ask "Why do you have horns?" In the second paragraph of his reply, werewolf is missing an "e".
    2.) In the conversation with the general before the boss, he refers to the player as a human. Maybe I'm just picky, but I was a dwarf, so maybe an option more suited to people/non-lycans in general might be better suited? Up to you :)
    3.) When speaking to the final boss, when he speaks of the good werewolf and says "If he was my friend...", "was" is missing an "a".

Other than that, the only other thing I noticed that was odd was one of the wolves in the alley behind the campfire was an "archer", shooting arrows, but it was a regular wolf model. Unless maybe it's one of those wolves with bees in their mouths, and when they bark they shoot bees at you! (Simpsons reference lol)

Other than that, I enjoyed the quest thoroughly. Was short but still had action and enough plot to know what was going on!

If anyone wants to test mine, I'd love similar feedback. :)
    In game: @maelzahn

Foundry Creation(s): (Give 'em a try if you haven't) :)
    - Campaign: The Black Wind (Story/RP based quests)
    --- Quest 1: Bare Necessities
    --- Short Code: NW-DHXFKZ4YU
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for the feedback, that is exactly what I wanted and I will gladly test yours out later today or tonight. I just got done with 3 horrible, epic Mad Dragon attempts and want to kill myself.

And I thought I fixed the dog archers... I guess I left some. It glitched for me and read them off as "actor #x" and gave them a blank model. I forgot they were archers and made them dogs. Will have to fix that though, the first time I saw it I was off put.

• not1nameleftnot1nameleft Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There are two types of players who play foundry quests: People who click 1 until they are ready to kill... and people who read.

In my quests, I make the 1 option lead to all the bad choices muahahaha!
  • vold316vold316 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel you, i have published a quest a week ago and i am the only one who has tested it.
    I will test your quests, but please test mine.

n w - d h d 2 o v v y c
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The harder the game, the better."
  • worndownworndown Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't feel bad. I published a quest. Posted a review thread. Gave about 8 reviews and received none in return. So lesson learned. Be sure that they review you before you review them.

Won't make that mistake again.
    edited May 2013
    Hi, i just played your quest, and i just noticed you plaid mine.. .thanks!
    regarding your quest, all was very good but i felt it a bit repetitive, i mean that you shoul try to balance the amount of fights with something else. The plot was very good and i liked all the characters you have customized!

Regarding your review...wel, i'm going to fix this!
    I can do that for the keys of the door, but i unlucky can't do that for the grammer, i'm not good in english, i had to use the translator and than try to fix it manually cause the quest was originally wrote in italian.

I'm fixing the key issue right now, i will add some different rooms :)
    Cheers!
  • hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Review sharing is your best bet right now. Find one of the many sharing posts, play their quest and then leave feedback on their page and ask them to return the favor. people are more willing to review a quest if there's was reviewed in return.

My quest has been around since BW3 and all through alpha, and just last week finally hit the requirements to be daily eligible, and even then it gets maybe a review a week. And most of those are from people who's quest I reviewed at some point. IN other words, if I did not do reviews, then I would probably be in the same boat. It is important to note as well that I do mine on on volunteer basis and do not ask for a review in return. I just ask that they submit a request, and they get put in a line. This forces me to play quests that I might otherwise not. But even though I do not ask for a return the favor review at all, people will still do it, out of mutual respect.

Foundry authors have to look after each other. Don't rely on the average players. They will flock towards the high rated quests if they want story, and the most farm-able quest if they just want combat and loot.

Also, do not advertise a quest if it is not ready. Asking for feedback from the Foundry community is one thing, but if you start to advertise a quest as being ready for the big times, than people will rate it as such and can get a bit harsher.

Though the best bet, and it is a sad situation really and something Cryptic needs to fix, is that it is better for the Foundry as a whole to make sure your quest is 90% polished before you even publish. Part of the reason it is so hard to find players is because easily 75% of the quest released at a given time are not ready at all, and authors are trying to get people to "play my quest and tell me how it is coming along" This creates a traffic jam. It is better to just do your very best in the Foundry, after you think it is ready to be released, then take an extra week before doing so and just polish polish polish. You want that first review you do get to be a good first impression. Someone browsing for a lesser known quest may play a quest with only one review, but if that one review is 2 or even 3 stars, they might move on.

What needs to happen is Cryptic needs to give us a Foundry only server, where you can publish a partial quest too, test features, get feedback, etc. but the ratings to not carry over to the other servers.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • franksersfranksers Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd like to see a system in-game where if you review someone's quest, it would allow you to add any of your created quests to a list that person might want to review. Obviously the idea might require some tweaking, but having an in-game review trading system of some kind would be nice. It seems a bit un-neccessary to flood the forum with multiple threads when something like this could be implemented.
    Campaign: Forgotten Conflicts
    Part 1: Whispers of Melal NW-DJMNAUD8H
    Part 2: Ruins of Melal: In progress
  • psendaronpsendaron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    franksers wrote: »
    I'd like to see a system in-game where if you review someone's quest, it would allow you to add any of your created quests to a list that person might want to review. Obviously the idea might require some tweaking, but having an in-game review trading system of some kind would be nice. It seems a bit un-neccessary to flood the forum with multiple threads when something like this could be implemented.

Or maybe something like a quest search engine which could make you search for parameters such as "RP" - "Combat heavy" "suited for x players" "location" "type of encounter" "estimated time" .... or something like that. It would be nice as to have these parameters to search for so you could mix your quests once and a while (me being tired of slaying drows all the f***ing time at this point)
    "Don't change colour to match the walls.
    Look like you belong and the walls will change colour to match you."

- Kender Proverb
    edited May 2013
    tarum89 wrote: »
    Hi, i just played your quest, and i just noticed you plaid mine.. .thanks!
    regarding your quest, all was very good but i felt it a bit repetitive, i mean that you shoul try to balance the amount of fights with something else. The plot was very good and i liked all the characters you have customized!

Regarding your review...wel, i'm going to fix this!
    I can do that for the keys of the door, but i unlucky can't do that for the grammer, i'm not good in english, i had to use the translator and than try to fix it manually cause the quest was originally wrote in italian.

I'm fixing the key issue right now, i will add some different rooms :)
    Cheers!

Thanks. Yeah, It's a pretty straight forward, kill the mobs in the path quest. I had plans to make a campaign with it, which is why there is a mysterious character you talk to in the quest that doesn't seem related to THAT quest. Based off of the story, putting in puzzles and such didn't seem like it would fit. Perhaps I could have added additional maps where you enter the houses and clear them out, but it seemed like a lot of work and more like something I would do for the next quest onwards. If I was just making this a single quest I certainly would have made it more complicated. Other than fixing some of the mob placements and maybe add in a little more variety of werewolfs, I am not too sure what to do. I think after I fix the things people mentioned and get it functional without bugs, I might just move onto the next part where I would make it more complicated and add a lot more variety with traps and puzzles and items etc.

The grammar in yours wasn't bad, and if english is not your first language then it is great. It was mostly just a few words here and there that were missing, like "was" and "is" etc. Not a big issue at all, I was just being thorough for you.

• prypyatprypyat Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I guess the only way to get people to play your quests it to make a thread about it eh?

I really didn't want to do that for mine, but if nobody is going to play it otherwise I suppose I'll have to.

I like the review trading threads, so perhaps I'll make one of those.

I do wish they had a better way to view new quests though. I looked at the "under review" tab last night in-game at it was laggy and horrible and I could barely click on anything.
    edited May 2013
    My original quest was made to be very campy and heavily but somewhat secretly reference a ton of actual werewolfs from movies. I made a somewhat serious quest though and it is conflicting. I'm in the process of reskinning, renaming and reworking a lot of the boss fights and variety of actual mob type in the quest to make it completely unique and better atm. It will probably be a day or two before I get around to finishing it though.

I will make another thread specifically for this quest when I feel it is done with screenshots and information. If anyone on here asked me to review their quest and I haven't either done it here or on their actual thread, send me a PM for foundry quest testing trades and I will do it in return for mine. Thanks everyone who responded, it seems like the community as a whole is hard to break through, but there are some good foundry users who will have to just help each other.
    prypyat wrote: »
    I do wish they had a better way to view new quests though. I looked at the "under review" tab last night in-game at it was laggy and horrible and I could barely click on anything.

I noticed that. I don't know if it updates real time or they just coded it so poorly but it takes forever to load the next set of 5 or so when I scroll down. A lot of them were exploit maps that are pointless since they nerfed the EXP in foundry, but people keep flooding them with it. That is what is most disappointing because it makes it hard to pick through legitimate quests.

• prypyatprypyat Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can't actually figure out how someone gets out of that review tab and into the real thing.

Is it just based on how many people play it?
    edited May 2013
    As far as I can tell there is only 2 ways.

You either be the first few decent ones made, which is impossible now and you get to stay #1 for a long time. This is still going on. Or you submit it to Cryptic in The Foundry Editor and hope they actually choose to play it AND like it enough to feature it. Once it's featured I believe it stays there until they replace it and people will actually try it and rate it.

edited May 2013
    Just played "An Artifact from the Depths - NW-DB5GERXA3"
    I had to stop at the 4 Seal Door. Multiple groups spawned instead of just one at a time because they were close together, and I had to pop my AoE knockback on Cleric. One of them fell into the hole underneath and while it killed it, it seems to have glitched the dungeon for me. The third Seal wouldn't spawn or let me obtain it and I was stuck in combat. I killed myself and it started me back at the dungeon, it glitched again, repeated another death but left the third time.

Perhaps move the seals back or set them in a separate room, not only to prevent this from happening, but having the keys to a door right next to them isn't generally good lol. I could try it another time when you make the seal adjustments but it wouldn't let me progress any farther. Sorry.

Hi :)
    I fixed many things on my quest, now this should works perfectly, there are keys, the seals are in different rooms and i found some italianish things and so i have translated it in english... in fact it's not very good to pick up a "Martello runico" when you are looking for a "Runic Hammer" eheh
    If you'd like to try it i added a page for my quest, the banner in my signature will drive you there.
    cheers!