test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

* Most BETAs encourage testers to break the game...

guruchazguruchaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I have a question. In most beta tests, testers are encouraged to do what they can to break and exploit the game and report findings so they can be fixed before the game is released. I would like to hear arguments on this regarding this game. I don't condone exploits or ruining the economy but, technically, this is still a BETA. They shouldn't have opened the store or allowed Zen to be transferred to Neverwinter until the beta was over. Is it beta or is it not?
Post edited by guruchaz on

Comments

• urvanisurvanis Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This isn't beta. 10 years ago, this would be beta. But these days open beta, even sometimes closed beta is release. The moment they start taking your money is the moment the game releases. These days beta is just an excuses for a company's incompetence, any self respecting developer would never charge for a game in an unstable state. Hell, there used to be a time when developers paid players to beta test their games. Long gone are those days.
  • u4vn0lyf111u4vn0lyf111 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought they was calling this a "Soft Launch" but I do see "Open Beta"plastered all over.
    Does beg to question...is this Beta or not?
    New soft launch concept is throwing ppl into confusion but guess companies are getting lazier and lazier each year to fully test their product.How many games are seeming to fail this year so far?Dont know myself since this was the only game Ive been paying attention to.
  • knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Open Beta for F2P games IS launch.

That is, if they're accepting money.

And they say there will be no wipes.

Breaking the game in BETA is a great thing indeed if it's not spilling over into launch, which is it.
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not true . I got removed from WoW Alpha for ' malicious testing ' . I found two different ways to generate unlimited gold. They rewarded me with a ban for life . They also removed me from the Alpha . They did warn me the first time , unfortunately the second time it was a totally easy way to do it and I should of just not reported it ...but hey live and learn .

On the positive side , I can spot all the fishing emails from the fake blizzard .
  • qioxqiox Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's a question of what you do once you 'discover' the exploit.

Using a commonly known example, Pirate King:

Kill him twice in one instance and send a bug report and you will likely not have any action taken against you.

Kill him about 8 or 9 times in 30 minutes in once instance, and don't send a bug report, and you likely get a 72 hour ban along with 2 others in your group while the other 2 in your group get no ban. :confused:

Kill him about 450 times over a period of a week exploiting the instance as much as possible and you get no ban. :(

In summary, you should expect completely random results.
  • zeuseason411zeuseason411 Member Posts: 107
    edited May 2013
    Most BETAS have character wipes & DO NOT accept real world money for anything in game until the real launch. So based on these two premises, what makes you think this is a BETA?!
  • pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Correct. In most beta testing ( and i've done a lot in 20 years, a lot of it paid ) The correct course of action from the devs is to say "wowsers, that's a big one, thank you for bringing it to our attention before we went live and had much egg on our faces."
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • cutsoncutson Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No Beta has ever encouraged people to exploit a game. They have asked people to report bugs as they see them and to essentially play the game. Open Beta (soft launch is the industry jargon) is effectively a live game so they are monetizing it and ensuring they have cash flow for future development.
  • mathakarmathakar Member Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    The thing is "Beta" is very subjective and a lot of people will just say "Well, the devs call it beta and they know better so it's a beta!"

Which is dumb.

But whatever.
  • theloliruritheloliruri Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If they offered cash rewards for finding exploits and fixing the issue before it's gamebreaking as this was, well, they could have gone without losing thousands of customers and getting hit by chargebacks!

But hey, PWE has always been pretty clueless.

Banning exploiters doesn't help anyone, especially if they have cash shopped as many of the ones on FW java post code exploit did.
    You want to utilize their skill set to get the **** reported and fixed as it's found and the damage done is still repairable without a wipe, but hey, that's way too smart for a chinese company who values share holders over quality!
  • karmeliakarmelia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    guruchaz wrote: »
    Is it beta or is it not?

Not .
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • chai23chai23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Once money started changing hands, "beta" lost all cred.
  • ashensnowashensnow Member Posts: 2,215 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    http://www.perfectworld.com/

Says, "Live," there. I know Cryptic claims, "Open Beta," but the company that actually owns Cryptic, the game, etc say otherwise.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • guruchazguruchaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »

Says, "Live," there. I know Cryptic claims, "Open Beta," but the company that actually owns Cryptic, the game, etc say otherwise.

This site says "Open Beta" and I thought they were the owners.