test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Should Have Happened.

hatelorehatelore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
The developers should have turned to the community in collaboration to seek a resolution. They should have added a poll option to the launcher, which gave players a detailed description of the events that took place, and allowed us the option to choose how the situation was rectified. This poll should have been available to accounts created BEFORE the mass exploitation occurred. You would be unable to login to the game until you made an informed decision, and then the developers should act in accordance to the majority decision for the community.

You would certainly lose players, as you will in virtually any and every situation for a myriad of reasons, but this solution would guarantee that everyone who plays the game was actively informed and given a chance to cast his or her opinion on the proceedings in the course to rectify this situation.

As it stands now, they had their one opportunity to fix this problem, in addition to all the previous exploits, and they botched it.
Post edited by hatelore on

Comments

• l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    They have peoples $$$ and they don't care.
  • revenantbobrevenantbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    l1d3n wrote: »
    They have peoples $$$ and they don't care.

Yes, because they don't care about getting more later *Rolls Eyes*
    houserin_signature.png
  • spikespirespikespire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know from personal experience that in times like these the Staff is best suited to make these kinds of decisions. Only because when it comes to dire situations such as these (and sometimes far worse ones), the players themselves are scared and confused as to what is going on behind close doors and personally don't know what is right for everyone just themselves and there friends.
    NWsig_zps2f8df234.png
    ZRcH2.gif .gif .gif
    "You know you wanna fondle my dragons."
  • wolfheartazwolfheartaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spikespire wrote: »
    I know from personal experience that in times like these the Staff is best suited to make these kinds of decisions. Only because when it comes to dire situations such as these (and sometimes far worse ones), the players themselves are scared and confused as to what is going on behind close doors and personally don't know what is right for everyone just themselves and there friends.

Players "scared and confused"? LOL what a joke.

We players are not scared..we are PISSED. The only thing that SHOULD have happen (fair for all) was a complete wipe...with Zen refunded.

I mean its BETA, after all, right? lol
  • hatelorehatelore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spikespire wrote: »

Thus the reason for a detailed informative statement, with a poll asking for input from the community. The community has to play a role in the development direction of the game, if you want to have a successful game, you need a community that has faith they will be listened to, especially when it counts, and could forever change the direction of the game.
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013

We players are not scared..we are PISSED. The only thing that SHOULD have happen (fair for all) was a complete wipe...with Zen refunded.

Yep, and if the survey had gone out, and come back with the same results as what we got, you'd still be here raging on and on about letting stupid people make decisions, right? I mean, my guild's question: What would a wipe fix? So what then? Do you want another survey that only targets people you think have a right to an opinion?
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • sdneversdnever Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    hatelore wrote: »
    Thus the reason for a detailed informative statement, with a poll asking for input from the community. The community has to play a role in the development direction of the game, if you want to have a successful game, you need a community that has faith they will be listened to, especially when it counts, and could forever change the direction of the game.
    you mean the same community that blatantly exploited the game?

Dev 1: "Hey the community is constantly trying to exploit and destroy the game"
    Dev 2: "Why don't we ask the community what we should do to fix the economy?"
  • screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Much better off letting the devs take care of it. I've seen too many other games ruined by "mob rule".

Listening to beta testers and fixing bugs on the other hand...
  • hatelorehatelore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep, and if the survey had gone out, and come back with the same results as what we got, you'd still be here raging on and on about letting stupid people make decisions, right? I mean, my guild's question: What would a wipe fix? So what then? Do you want another survey that only targets people you think have a right to an opinion?

A very simple question to answer. A wipe would fix the snowball effect that the exploits have had on an economy still in a very fragile stage of infancy. This most recent bug is merely the overwhelming straw that broke the camels back, and if there was ever a time to wipe, it would be right now, within the first month of the games OPEN BETA launch (remember when those words actually meant something? I do, but it seems in recent years those words have just been turned into a shield to hide behind.
  • spikespirespikespire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Pissed, Scared, Confused, whatever. It all falls to being "uneasy" about the situation in some way. Also, we've been told countless amount of times that a Wipe is never going to happen. I voted for a wipe as well, but knowing that is not going to happen I sided with the rollback, its still better then nothing in my opinion.
    NWsig_zps2f8df234.png
    ZRcH2.gif .gif .gif
    "You know you wanna fondle my dragons."
    edited May 2013

You seriously dont understand what a full wipe would fix? LOL (of course a wipe with the bugs fixed)

I dont want to lvl to 60 again, but I would for the good of the community.

Log into the game, look and the AH, the chat, nothing has changed. The exploiters and cheaters are LAUGHING at what happen.

I like the game, love the lore, and the game play, but wont play or spend any more money.

7hr roll back..what a joke
    edited May 2013
    sdnever wrote: »
    you mean the same community that blatantly exploited the game?

Dev 1: "Hey the community is constantly trying to exploit and destroy the game"
    Dev 2: "Why don't we ask the community what we should do to fix the economy?"

The bad apples are few and far between. The substantial damage was caused quickly due to the ease of abuse in how quickly you could replicate the exploit.
  • nectarprimenectarprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

And you, obviously, know better than the people who made the game, right?
    edited May 2013
    And you, obviously, know better than the people who made the game, right?

Not sure what you mean by that..

If you mean I know better that the devs on what should have happen, in this case, yes..seeing what they have done so far.

The 7hr rollback, 72hr bans, did nothing to change the damage to the game community.
  • slugormasterslugormaster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A tale of 2 players

Player 1 : Exploiter

Lets call him Maiku. Maiku knew about the exploit from day 1. He was smart, and did the math. Lets say you didn't do ANY questing, and wanted to get 12 Tier-9 Enchants. I did the caluclations, and found out it would cost a total of 131,072,000 AD to purchase the 65,536 enchants (65,536 is the number of enchants required to get a perfect 9 enchant, since it uses 4 per level). Since there is a failure rate of 5% to 90% depending on the level, he would also need to purchase preservation wards (10 per 100 Zen, and I assumed an exchange rate of 300 AD per zen). He would need to spend an additional 4,895,600 AD to purchase the ZEN to get enough wards to ensure success. So, we now have a Tier-9 Enchant for the low cost of just 135,967,600 AD. He needs a total of 12 of them, or 1,631,611,200. Assuming his pet also needs at least 6 of them, lets add another 815,805,600 to bring the grand total to 2,447,416,800 AD to get 12 Tier-9 enchants, and have his pet maxed out too. That can be done without a single mob killed. The reality is he could purchase them on the AH for much cheaper, but lets say it's only day 1, and there aren't that many enchants on the AH. So this player, Maiku, exploits over 1 Trillion AD via the AH bug, and gets Tier-9 enchants for all his gear. Then he exploits the Foundry, boss mobs, and loot exploits to get all Tier-3 gear. it will cost him another 900,000,000 to slot all those enchants, but that's pennies considering he can do it in 1 auction. His gear score at that point will probably be around 17,000. It's the end game of all end game builds.. And, he can do it in about 2 days.

Player 2 : Real Player

Player 2 wants to support the game, so he spends $60.00 to buy a founders pack. He gets 600K AD, and quests and works, and ends up with maybe 4 tier-6 enchants, and some tier-1/2 gear after 3 weeks. He manages to get 24,000 AD a day from refining, so he's got close to 1,000,000 AD after 3 weeks, if he didn't spend ANY AD.

See the problem here. The exploiters were getting cheaters the ulitmate end game gear in 2 days. There IS NO FIX for this. Period. The exploiters bought all the enchants and Zen and build up the ultimate gear sets using stolen AD. The game is ruined for the player, who if he didn't play the AH, or buy Zen, could have a MAX of 500,000 AD after 3 weeks. The exploiter could have thrown TRILLIONS into the economy, and thus impacted every other player for the entire time the game was 'live'. The mules are holding on to game destroying gear and AD, and WILL come back to screw up the economy in the future. The ONLY FIX IS A TOTAL WIPE. Period.
    edited May 2013
    Much better off letting the devs take care of it. I've seen too many other games ruined by "mob rule".

Listening to beta testers and fixing bugs on the other hand...

You talk about things being ruined by mob rule, and then you talk about listening to beta testers. So we shouldn't be listening to the majority, but we should be listening to the majority? The entire population of the game can be classified as Beta Testers, even though realistically, even in closed beta, less than half of the testers actually do what they are supposed to be doing. Which is beta testing the game. Instead, it is treated like a demo by the vast majority, and a wide array of unique feedback is not received.
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A very simple question to answer. A wipe would fix the snowball effect that the exploits have had on an economy still in a very fragile stage of infancy. This most recent bug is merely the overwhelming straw that broke the camels back, and if there was ever a time to wipe, it would be right now, within the first month of the games OPEN BETA launch (remember when those words actually meant something? I do, but it seems in recent years those words have just been turned into a shield to hide behind.

The problem is two fold:

1. People may not want to reinvest the time to relevel characters for the actions of another.

2. People like me, that spent money on the assurance that no more wipes were coming.

You see, w/out this assurance, I wouldn't have spent any money. I'm fine with playing for free, I do it in a lot of games. I've been doing it for quite a while. However, I had that assurance, and so I took the time when I should have been working, even if just around the house, to log into the Gateway and work on my professions. I spent money on keys, and lost some of what I got from that, and unless they just replace it, I'm going to have to spend more money on keys, or convert some AD, so that I can "try" to get what I had already legitimately acquired. I'm not willing to do so. If they're going to wipe, I'm not willing to let the promise of no wipes go, and will get a chargeback on my credit card. In essence, it will come down to they lied to me to get me to spend money, and my bank won't have a problem one with getting me that money back.
    You seriously dont understand what a full wipe would fix? LOL (of course a wipe with the bugs fixed)

I dont want to lvl to 60 again, but I would for the good of the community.

Log into the game, look and the AH, the chat, nothing has changed. The exploiters and cheaters are LAUGHING at what happen.

I like the game, love the lore, and the game play, but wont play or spend any more money.

7hr roll back..what a joke

My time is valuable. I don't care if you think it is or not. I invested in the game with certain assurances, and if those assurances aren't met, I'll get my money back, and invest it somewhere where they will be met.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • screamingpalmscreamingpalm Member Posts: 304 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You talk about things being ruined by mob rule, and then you talk about listening to beta testers. So we shouldn't be listening to the majority, but we should be listening to the majority? The entire population of the game can be classified as Beta Testers, even though realistically, even in closed beta, less than half of the testers actually do what they are supposed to be doing. Which is beta testing the game. Instead, it is treated like a demo by the vast majority, and a wide array of unique feedback is not received.

Heh I guess you make a point, but I think you have to differentiate between opinion polls and objective data (bug reports). TBH, they can call it Open Beta or whatever they want, but I don't think we are actually beta testing. True point about closed beta, but I have to assume people are telling the truth when they claimed to have reported these bugs in beta/alpha even.
  • gibby2900gibby2900 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't usually post on these forums, but I felt strongly about this topic. I am in favor of a wipe. As long as you restore all of the Zen I have spent so I may re-spend it on my fresh characters, I am good with it. I don't mind leveling and skilling up again.
  • neuraldamageneuraldamage Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The community has to play a role in the development direction of the game, if you want to have a successful game, you need a community that has faith they will be listened to, especially when it counts, and could forever change the direction of the game.

New to Cryptic are we? Oh well, best to have your hopes and dreams crushed now. :)

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
    edited May 2013
    The problem is two fold:

1. People may not want to reinvest the time to relevel characters for the actions of another.

2. People like me, that spent money on the assurance that no more wipes were coming.

You see, w/out this assurance, I wouldn't have spent any money. I'm fine with playing for free, I do it in a lot of games. I've been doing it for quite a while. However, I had that assurance, and so I took the time when I should have been working, even if just around the house, to log into the Gateway and work on my professions. I spent money on keys, and lost some of what I got from that, and unless they just replace it, I'm going to have to spend more money on keys, or convert some AD, so that I can "try" to get what I had already legitimately acquired. I'm not willing to do so. If they're going to wipe, I'm not willing to let the promise of no wipes go, and will get a chargeback on my credit card. In essence, it will come down to they lied to me to get me to spend money, and my bank won't have a problem one with getting me that money back.

My time is valuable. I don't care if you think it is or not. I invested in the game with certain assurances, and if those assurances aren't met, I'll get my money back, and invest it somewhere where they will be met.

If a full wipe were to take place, all those Zen transactions are tracked, and your account would be credited all the previously spent Zen. If you chose not to play afterwards, then you should be fully refunded, as anyone should be. I mean, people will jump ship regardless, and if you do, that is your choice, and whether you would be missed or not, is irrelevant. A full wipe will be the only way to assure that everything has been cleaned up, and the economy has been effectively reset. As of right now, even with this rollback, the snowball effect the other exploits have had on the economy, still doesn't put anything in any better of a position.
  • rakeleerrakeleer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, because they don't care about getting more later *Rolls Eyes*

To be fair, there are probably still a lot of people's money that they don't have, who will not be informed about any of this up front. Happens all the time with things other than video games.
  • revenantbobrevenantbob Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

This is me.

AD wasn't worth jack when I bought it and I realized this when I got 3 bank tabs for my guild.
    houserin_signature.png