test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Encounter keyed off particular dialog choice

syynsyyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 75
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Howdy all,
Is it possible to cause an encounter to spawn if a person chooses a particular responce in a dialog tree? I have a statue with a riddle and I want 2 of the responce choices to cause encounters to spawn and 1 responce choice to let the player out of the room they are trapped in.
I have the last part working (correct answer removes a wall) but can't figure out how to make the other two choices spawn encounters.
Post edited by syyn on

Comments

• syynsyyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    AH, I found it. I'm all set thanks. :)
    edited May 2013
    Although, I do see that this can create a sort of monster spawning device, which I don't really want. A player could just stay at the statue and keep answering it wrong just to generate monsters to kill. I may have to rethink this.
  • kyeo138kyeo138 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Have you figured out how to do this? I have a spot where I want it to spawn some monsters when a wrong password is given. There are 4 choices for the password, it works the first time, but they don't respawn if I choose wrong again.
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can't re-use an encounter. (So syyn's fear of it being exploited is unfounded, btw)

Once an encounter has been triggered and is killed, that's it, it's gone.

What I would suggest, Kyeo, is having a different encounter for each wrong choice, and when the user selects that choice, spawn the mob then remove the choice from the available list. Eventually they'll end up with only one option (the right one)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • not1nameleftnot1nameleft Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    is it possible to inflic damage from a wrong choice? I am fairy new to the foundry, I tried to make a trap spawn on the wrong answer, which worked but didn't really give the effect i was after
    edited May 2013
    Anyone know?
    edited May 2013
    Ive not seen a way to just inflict damage automatically. This would be a nice option. What I ended up doing is what Raphael mentioned about - I set up separate encounters and had one of them spawn per wrong answer, removing the wrong answer from the choice list once it's encounter was used up.
    I also tried to make traps spawn on a wrong answer and while the trap would indeed spawn, it wouldn't activate until the player moved off of it.
  • notauriousnotaurious Member Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    syyn wrote: »
    Ive not seen a way to just inflict damage automatically. This would be a nice option. What I ended up doing is what Raphael mentioned about - I set up separate encounters and had one of them spawn per wrong answer, removing the wrong answer from the choice list once it's encounter was used up.
    I also tried to make traps spawn on a wrong answer and while the trap would indeed spawn, it wouldn't activate until the player moved off of it.

I wonder if you could spawn an NPC on the trap for the wrong answer, and then have them immediately disappear? They'd have to be small to project an illusion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Short Code Copy/Paste: NW-DJC4R9H3R
    edited May 2013
    syyn wrote: »

This is what I did but it went as you said and wasn't very good.

I have an altar which if the player's chose the option to smash I want them to be damaged